Forums > General Industry > "Typing" models

Model

Tabitha Hale

Altoona, Pennsylvania, US

Hello all,
I'm a newbie here and have a couple questions. Can you suggest how one would go about breaking out of being "typed" for certain modeling assignments?
For example, I got away from modeling when I was younger b/c I was always typed for a blonde bimbo type of look.
Now, I've decided to dip my toes back in the pool. My first photos I've posted have a definite retro theme. I'm finding though that photographers really like my retro look and want to do more like it. Others aren't too interested in working with me b/c I don't have the look they usually work with.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the whole retro scene and as long as others enjoy it too, I'm not going to turn down any work. I just wonder how difficult it's going to be to expand my portfolio b/c of this?
Any tips?
Thanks all! smile
Tabitha

Jan 30 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Just look for work you are interested in. If you see a photographer whose style you like, contact him/her. A model is only typed because she allows herself to be by accepting so many of the offers that have gotten her typed.

Jan 30 06 01:07 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

well when a photogrpaher contacts you for a TFP shoot, work with him for images he wants for his book and if that means the retro look then do it for the photographer but also tell him/her that you have some new things/looks you want to try, and you will both get new things for your port that you are both looking for

Jan 30 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Tabitha Hale wrote:
Hello all,
I'm a newbie here and have a couple questions. Can you suggest how one would go about breaking out of being "typed" for certain modeling assignments?
For example, I got away from modeling when I was younger b/c I was always typed for a blonde bimbo type of look.

My first photos I've posted have a definite retro theme.

I just wonder how difficult it's going to be to expand my portfolio b/c of this?

Well... you can change your hair color and try to go for a different look.

If you don't have diversity in your portfolio and all photographes see of you is retro, how should they get ideas that you can pull off another look.

Maybe you should talk with those photographers who said that they didn't like that retro look and ask them what THEY would you shoot in... that may break the stereotyping and put's the diversity into your portfolio you are looking for.

Greetings

Udo

Jan 30 06 01:09 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

on another note I was thinking I would be seeing images of models typing, o man I just got a crazy image in my head, it has to do with models and a keyboard

Jan 30 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Crazy Benny wrote:
on another note I was thinking I would be seeing images of models typing, o man I just got a crazy image in my head, it has to do with models and a keyboard

You know Benny... I thought that was maybe a casting call for models who can type for some commercial shoot... and clicked on it to see if it's in the right forum...

Jan 30 06 01:12 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

You know Benny... I thought that was maybe a casting call for models who can type for some commercial shoot... and clicked on it to see if it's in the right forum...

now we are on topic
https://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_SM/0026-0401-3001-4315_SM.jpg

nuts Benny

Jan 30 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

rojohphotography

Syracuse, Indiana, US

I'd also add that more than one photographer(even ones that shoot the same but maybe different styles of the same) might be a route you could follow. I very often have models come to me for a style or look than move on to other togs and get different looks with the same style.No one tog worth their salt is.

Regards

Jan 30 06 01:17 pm Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

Crazy Benny wrote:

For me it is a nightmare. Nicely keep longer nails... so hard to type with.

Jan 30 06 01:34 pm Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

Tabitha Hale wrote:
Hello all,
Now, I've decided to dip my toes back in the pool. My first photos I've posted have a definite retro theme. I'm finding though that photographers really like my retro look and want to do more like it. Others aren't too interested in working with me b/c I don't have the look they usually work with.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the whole retro scene and as long as others enjoy it too, I'm not going to turn down any work. I just wonder how difficult it's going to be to expand my portfolio b/c of this?
Any tips?
Thanks all! smile
Tabitha

I am a retro girl. It's funny even when I do not plan on shooting retro. I always seem to have that element in my photos. I do not see it as a bad thing. I actually think most photographers enjoy it. I could try to do Maxuim style photos and it would come out kind of modern-retroish. But always good, cute, and sexy.
I say if you have something good going for you why change it.
Like my main photo. If you look at the complete set. It wasn't planned retro. The tinny hat matched the outfit. And we just went with it. We still went on to do Playboy styled photos. But it worked. But Playboy still kind of sticks with it's roots in alot of images. And actually when you look at glamour photos overall. All that really has not changed it some of the fashions.

As for changing your look. That can help. When I went from Blonde to red. I noticed I stopped being compared to Marilyn Monroe. Also, the expections changed. Now I went into black. People expect Betty Page or Dita Von Tease. They think of the dark haired devilish smile women. Marilyn they think sex kitten bimbo. I haven't changed my hair color in 3 years if that tells you anything. But when they get to know me they see all the layers. Photos are kind of like mini movies. You pretend to be whatever for that day. But in the end you are always you.
I say go with what works for you. Don't be compared to anyone else.

Jan 30 06 01:38 pm Link