Forums > General Industry > Fashion Week...

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Simply put...I want in!

Anybody want to share a tip or two on how to get in and maybe even a little incite as to whether my work warrants trying.

Jan 29 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

In what way do you want in?

As a runway shooter?

As a fashion image shooter for designer's flyers?

As a designer?

Jan 29 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Ed Remington wrote:
Simply put...I want in!

Anybody want to share a tip or two on how to get in and maybe even a little incite as to whether my work warrants trying.

i just walk in like i own the fucking joint.

Jan 29 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

raveneyes wrote:

As a runway shooter?

As a designer?

Jan 29 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:

Easy for you to say, I can't even walk into my house acting like that!  LOL tongue

Jan 29 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Ed Remington wrote:

Easy for you to say, I can't even walk into my house acting like that!  LOL tongue

your from jersey...walk in like tony soprano.

Jan 29 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:

your from jersey...walk in like tony soprano.

Yo, Wada aya tawkin about

Jan 29 06 11:16 am Link

Model

Cassandra G

Palm Beach, Florida, US

raveneyes wrote:

As a runway shooter?

As a designer?

Jan 29 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Ed Remington wrote:
Simply put...I want in!

AFAIK, the registration is closed, but you can check at http://www.olympusfashionweek.com.

Usually, to be admitted, you have to shoot for a publication or other media and often enough, you need their reference to do it.

I heard that Olympus limits the admittance of shooters on the risers in the tents. One of the MM shooters who used to go there was cut by his stock agency because of the limited access.

I am media, and I shoot regularily at FW, but I also would suggest that, before you even think about FW, you should shoot a bunch of smaller, local fashionshows, so that you get a feel for the rhythm of the models walking, see that you frame them properly: minimum 2 or 3 full body walking, 2 3/4 shots, upper body shot when posing and one full body from the back.

Those have to be the useable images for the editors, and it helps to have the correct equipment for it too.

Runway at the tents is pretty much hardcore, they also call it combat photography.

You fight with 120 photographers for every inch of space, I am not kidding you! You carry a milk crate with you to stand on, or a small step ladder, because someone in front of you, mostly house, will be high, the guys behind them go high and if you are new and nobody knows you, you'll get a spot somewhere far away from center.

It's pretty exciting actually, and I LOVE it... but Olympus fashionweek at the tents (there are a huge amount of off site shows too, I could get you in in a few on the weekend!) is like Superbowl for runway photography.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Any more questions, just ask.

Udo

P.S.: BTW, your work is GREAT, but has nothing to do with runway photography, it's an entire animal on it's own. Totally different discipline and field of the industry!

Jan 29 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Cassandra G wrote:
How would you get in as a runnway model? Do you have to know someone on the inside? Maybe I neede more exposure. You think?

Some designers are still auditioning for models, even THIS week, until probably Wednesday.

Can't give you a list, but you could do some research, by looking at the listed designers, and call each one up and ask if they still have auditions, then you walk in with your book when tell you to come by.

Udo

Jan 29 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

AFAIK, the registration is closed, but you can check at http://www.olympusfashionweek.com.

Usually, to be admitted, you have to shoot for a publication or other media and often enough, you need their reference to do it.

I heard that Olympus limits the admittance of shooters on the risers in the tents. One of the MM shooters who used to go there was cut by his stock agency because of the limited access.

I am media, and I shoot regularily at FW, but I also would suggest that, before you even think about FW, you should shoot a bunch of smaller, local fashionshows, so that you get a feel for the rhythm of the models walking, see that you frame them properly: minimum 2 or 3 full body walking, 2 3/4 shots, upper body shot when posing and one full body from the back.

Those have to be the useable images for the editors, and it helps to have the correct equipment for it too.

Runway at the tents is pretty much hardcore, they also call it combat photography.

You fight with 120 photographers for every inch of space, I am not kidding you! You carry a milk crate with you to stand on, or a small step ladder, because someone in front of you, mostly house, will be high, the guys behind them go high and if you are new and nobody knows you, you'll get a spot somewhere far away from center.

It's pretty exciting actually, and I LOVE it... but Olympus fashionweek at the tents (there are a huge amount of off site shows too, I could get you in in a few on the weekend!) is like Superbowl for runway photography.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Any more questions, just ask.

Udo

P.S.: BTW, your work is GREAT, but has nothing to do with runway photography, it's an entire animal on it's own. Totally different discipline and field of the industry!

Thanks! I really appreciate the detailed response smile

OK, 3 questions then....First, What equipment does one need to make a go at it?  Second, How's the money look for a solid shooter, and last but not least...Provided I have the right stuff, what time on the weekend should I meet you! tongue

Jan 29 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Ed Remington wrote:
Thanks! I really appreciate the detailed response smile

OK, 3 questions then....First, What equipment does one need to make a go at it?  Second, How's the money look for a solid shooter, and last but not least...Provided I have the right stuff, what time on the weekend should I meet you! tongue

Send me an email and a reminder during the week. I'll have a schedule for which show I could let you in.

Pay varies a lot during that time. If a publication sends you there, they may want you to shoot specific designers, usually, you get somewhere between $250 to $400 per show you deliver.

Or, they make a package for you.

Many shoot for free, just for the chance to be even there, which pays off later.

I have a neat arrangment, because I am also able to sell my images freely, since I maintain the copyright (matter of negotiations). I also shoot many backstage interviews with the designers etc.

Oh, equipment... my runway lense is a 80-200mm f2.8 and a monopod is a must, because the gear is heavy and you can't allow to shake, because you most likely do not shoot with flash.

Tripods are only allowed for video crews, monopods for shooters.

But, if you shoot one of the off site shows I could get you in, you may not need a monopod, since the stress on your hand is limited to maybe 15 minutes.

Jan 29 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

Send me an email and a reminder during the week. I'll have a schedule for which show I could let you in.

Pay varies a lot during that time. If a publication sends you there, they may want you to shoot specific designers, usually, you get somewhere between $250 to $400 per show you deliver.

Or, they make a package for you.

Many shoot for free, just for the chance to be even there, which pays off later.

I have a neat arrangment, because I am also able to sell my images freely, since I maintain the copyright (matter of negotiations). I also shoot many backstage interviews with the designers etc.

Oh, equipment... my runway lense is a 80-200mm f2.8 and a monopod is a must, because the gear is heavy and you can't allow to shake, because you most likely do not shoot with flash.

Tripods are only allowed for video crews, monopods for shooters.

But, if you shoot one of the off site shows I could get you in, you may not need a monopod, since the stress on your hand is limited to maybe 15 minutes.

So my 70-200 f4. should work fine, and I gots me a bogen monopod. I guess a lot of memory would be in order. Anything else besides a helmet and maybe some shoulder pads for the rumble???

Jan 29 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Ed Remington wrote:

So my 70-200 f4. should work fine, and I gots me a bogen monopod. I guess a lot of memory would be in order. Anything else besides a helmet and maybe some shoulder pads for the rumble???

You'll be fine... you won't be shooting at the tents, it's more civilized at the smaller off-site shows. No helmet needed.

Jan 29 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

You'll be fine... you won't be shooting at the tents, it's more civilized at the smaller off-site shows. No helmet needed.

Sounds great, I'll give you an e-mail smile

*Sighs and takes the brass knuckles out of camera bag*

Jan 29 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Ed Remington wrote:

Sounds great, I'll give you an e-mail smile

*Sighs and takes the brass knuckles out of camera bag*

I didn't say you should take the brass knuckles out of your bag... I just said you won't need a helmet... big_smile

Jan 29 06 02:38 pm Link

Model

Lillian-

Folsom, California, US

BCG wrote:

good plan good plan

Jan 29 06 02:42 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

i've shot with  Ed, his work kicks a---!

Ed, hope you get some killer shots at FW!

Z

Jan 29 06 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Ed Remington wrote:
Simply put...I want in!

Why in Hell would you want to shoot Fashion Week if you were not getting paid first???

Believe me, Fashion Week SUCKS if you are a Photog or Video Guy!!!

You have to fight Foreign Photogs that don't believe in Deoderant! (french!)

You will get elbowed, kicked, punched, shoved, etc... 

Definitely not worth it unless you are getting paid.  And paid well at that!  Udo you are charging way too little!!! We need to talk!

During Fashion Week in NYC I do everything possible to take on ANY other assignment other than Fashion Stuff...

Oh and if you don't have a Turbo Charged Flash, you better RENT a 80-200 f2.8, you'll NEED it...

Jan 29 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Hamza wrote:
You have to fight Foreign Photogs that don't believe in Deoderant! (french!)
You will get elbowed, kicked, punched, shoved, etc... 

Udo you are charging way too little!!! We need to talk!

Then there are the big obnoxious Brits, the Spanish crew that uses those humongous flashes and standing on ladders in the first row...

It's a circus and I love it... lol

Yeah, if you have better paying contacts... and I know you do from your clients list... I am always open for chances to make my landlord happy... hahahahaa

Jan 29 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Sounds like this is gonna be fun tongue

Jan 29 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

ShootShoot

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

Hey Udo,
Can you get me in to some shows too ;-)

Thanks

Feb 01 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

ShootShoot wrote:
Hey Udo,
Can you get me in to some shows too ;-)

Thanks

LMAO!

I'll get him into Andres' show... wanna go? big_smile

I'll start Friday at the tents, and you'll get the flashcard on Monday!

Feb 02 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

ShootShoot

Udo,
No no no no no....I need that card ASAP! I'm covering 11 shows, backstage & riser on Sat. & Sun. I don't think I have enough cards to cover it. But you can rent it from me ;-) We'll come up with a nice weekend rate for you, since you can get me in to Andres' show. Can you really get me in to his shows? Don't kid me now!!!

Feb 02 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

ShootShoot wrote:
Udo,
No no no no no....I need that card ASAP! I'm covering 11 shows, backstage & riser on Sat. & Sun. I don't think I have enough cards to cover it. But you can rent it from me ;-) We'll come up with a nice weekend rate for you, since you can get me in to Andres' show. Can you really get me in to his shows? Don't kid me now!!!

Hahahaa... yeah... I'll get you "house" for Andres! big_smile

Didn't you say you need the card on Monday?

Anyway, no problem... I'll  be at the tents on Friday... see you there!

Feb 02 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

KMStudio

New York, New York, US

Hey guys.... me too... I want in!

Feb 02 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

kenttnek wrote:
Hey guys.... me too... I want in!

Hahahaa...

Oh... crap... you send me email or so recently!

Sorry I didn't get back to you yet... too many emails and too busy.

See you at the tents Kent!

Later

Udo

Feb 02 06 10:20 am Link

Photographer

ShootShoot

Udo,
Did you say "house"!
Ok, use the card till Monday.
You better not be messing around with me!

Feb 02 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

ShootShoot wrote:
Udo,
Did you say "house"!
Ok, use the card till Monday.
You better not be messing around with me!

I meant "Mouse"...

"Mouse" get's me the card 'til Monday... "HOUSE" will get me the card 'til the week after FW! big_smile

Feb 02 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

ShootShoot

Udo you did say "house" ...see above!

I want that gig!

Feb 04 06 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

ShootShoot wrote:
Udo you did say "house" ...see above!