Forums > General Industry > how long to receive imageCD/print or film?

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Okay, I thought I saw this topic a long time ago, but despite my attempt to look for it with the search feature, nothing came up. 

Anyway,

1) What is considered an appropriate turnaround time from a TFP shoot to receiving imageCD or whatever you agreed to?

2) How bout if the model paid the photographer?  How long of a wait is considered appropriate, and how long is too long?

(If the client/photog pays me, then I usually don't expect any CD so that's out of the question.  Tears are also out of the question, it involves a mag editor and obviously takes longer)

The longest I've waited was 5 months for 3 images which I ended up using none for my book.
There's one TFP-shoot that's currently going 2 months in waiting for the images.
One paid (I paid photographer) shoot took me longer-than-expected 1.5 months to receive the film due to some photo-lab renovation that was supposedly going on.

The smoothest turn-around time I've had are:
Over 50 images from 7 looks, edited & hi-res, in 2 weeks!
Over 20 images from 3 looks, edited & hi-res, include CD & print, in 1 week!
CD of all unedited images plus 3 final/edited images in 1 week!

Having said that, to avoid future shoots where I'm stuck waiting for months, would it sound bossy or demanding to tell the photographer in advance that I expect to receive the images within, say, 3 weeks?

Jan 29 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

AVB Photography

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I'd say asking for prints/cd withing 3 weeks is an EXTREAMLY reasonable time.  I try to make sure my models have at least SOMETHING (usually a CD) within DAYS of a shoot.  Sometimes prints my take longer but definatley withing the time frame you're requesting.

L8r,

Jan 29 06 02:37 am Link

Model

x Sapphire

Garland, Texas, US

I'm not an expert, but I get my TFP stuff within a week from a photographer I've worked with a couple time.

Jan 29 06 02:39 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Right? Right?  Then what is up with these photographers that take soooo long?!

Jan 29 06 02:40 am Link

Photographer

PlasticPuppet

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Sascha wrote:
Okay, I thought I saw this topic a long time ago, but despite my attempt to look for it with the search feature, nothing came up. 

Anyway,

1) What is considered an appropriate turnaround time from a TFP shoot to receiving imageCD or whatever you agreed to?

2) How bout if the model paid the photographer?  How long of a wait is considered appropriate, and how long is too long?

(If the client/photog pays me, then I usually don't expect any CD so that's out of the question.  Tears are also out of the question, it involves a mag editor and obviously takes longer)

The longest I've waited was 5 months for 3 images which I ended up using none for my book.
There's one TFP-shoot that's currently going 2 months in waiting for the images.
One paid (I paid photographer) shoot took me longer-than-expected 1.5 months to receive the film due to some photo-lab renovation that was supposedly going on.

The smoothest turn-around time I've had are:
Over 50 images from 7 looks, edited & hi-res, in 2 weeks!
Over 20 images from 3 looks, edited & hi-res, include CD & print, in 1 week!
CD of all unedited images plus 3 final/edited images in 1 week!

Having said that, to avoid future shoots where I'm stuck waiting for months, would it sound bossy or demanding to tell the photographer in advance that I expect to receive the images within, say, 3 weeks?

The problem with demands is that you seem bossy sad  Although I know of a photographer that hasn't returned any photos over the course of 7 months, even though they publicly state that it will only take 6-8 weeks in their contracts.

Anyways, there is no set standard and your only option is to make sure you sign a contract that specifies a length of time involved and then hope it doesn't come to threats.  From observation, since my GF models for people, I've noticed 2 weeks is a decent average.

Oh yeah, and listen to what other people say...  There a couple of photographers that I highly recommend not using because of this very issue.

Jan 29 06 02:43 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Sascha,

For you?  Two days.  smile  (Just kidding)

Three weeks sound reasonable for a free test.  For film, though, if the photographer does the printing him/herself, give him/her more time.

Now, that's assuming that this photographer is capable and is up to a level that is worth testing with.  Otherwise, it may take forever to "retouch" or "fix" those images if they were not shot right...

But otherwise you are absolutely within reasons.  You rock!

Leo smile

Jan 29 06 02:46 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

lll wrote:
Sascha,

For you?  Two days.  smile  (Just kidding)

Three weeks sound reasonable for a free test.  For film, though, if the photographer does the printing him/herself, give him/her more time.

Now, that's assuming that this photographer is capable and is up to a level that is worth testing with.  Otherwise, it may take forever to "retouch" or "fix" those images if they were not shot right...

But otherwise you are absolutely within reasons.  You rock!

Leo smile

Awww Leo, you're such a sweetheart, as always!  thanks so much

Jan 29 06 02:50 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Paid jobs take higher priority than TFP.

If anything, you should demand web ready images on the same day of the shoot, which is what I provide consistently. Edited too (if necessary).

Burning a CD, packaging it and driving to the Post office is a f_cken drag for TFP. A gas waster in today's times. Especially, when the images can be delivered via the Web. And, it's not like most of the TFP'ers are gonna need a print for their hand carry portfolio. So, why bother?

In the last 12 months, only two persons out of the dozen I TFP'ed with requested prints for a bonafide reason, interview at an agency. I didn't cop a lazy attitude (CD burning, delivery and print-wise), because both girls had a pressing reason. I cranked out their prints and CD lickety-split. One got signed with an agency in L.A. and the other got signed with two agencies, Dizon (in my area) and I forget the other agency who has a web presence on OMP, and she told me both liked her book and my shots. Here's Dasha in her first fashion show with Dizon: http://www.dizonagency.com/multimedia/sofetchremix.wmv
I'm proud of her man. She did something for herself with our work and the works of other photographer's. This IS the kinda effort and purpose I like to see.

When an amateur comes to me for TFP to crank out product, it just fucks it up for me when I get an indication that all she's going to do with the images is "nothing". If there's no reason, I cop a lazy attitude about it from that point on. She'll get her CD when I have time, but in the meantime, I got her started with web ready images for her profile, which is certainly more than enough to attract a baby-daddy, trick, paying photographers, or bring back wandering boyfriends and husbands.

Now, if it's a paid thing, hey, I don't care if she's wanting images to attract aliens from outer space. He, or she gets product on time like, yesterday. Hand delivered even.

Jan 29 06 03:08 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

lol Wild Horse...

Jan 29 06 03:17 am Link

Photographer

D Magi Visual Concepts

Los Angeles, California, US

I always get my models there CD's within a week, usually within 72 hours. 

I am a professional glamour photographer.  When I shoot, I shoot in Camera Raw, which must later be converted into jpegs.  It usually takes overnight for the conversion to be complete.  Then comes the editing. 

Now, while they get the hi-res photo CD within the 72 hours to one week timeframe, it may take an additional week or two for retouched images to be sent.

It is, of course, true that paid shoots take priority and are handled with all deliberate speed.

Never-ever should it take over 3 weeks for a photographer to get a CD to a model.  Never-ever!!!! 

Models should either check references (other models) or have it in writing what the time frames for delivery is to be.  No model has ever asked me, nor has there been a reason to.  I tell them up-front 3-7 days.

Hope this helps.

Najee Williams
D'Magi Visual Concepts

Jan 29 06 03:35 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Thanks for sharing D'magi!  My respects to you : ) Great images too, btw!

Jan 29 06 03:38 am Link

Photographer

D Magi Visual Concepts

Los Angeles, California, US

Thanks... and I LOVE your work too.  Keep it up and much success.

Jan 29 06 03:42 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Dmagi wrote:
...I shoot in Camera Raw, which must later be converted into jpegs.  It usually takes overnight for the conversion to be complete.  Then comes the editing...

Najee, from Raw to jpg takes overnight, how many thousand images do you shoot?  Have you tried Russell Brown's Image Processor (for CS, or it's built-in to CS2)?  It does the conversion automatically within Photoshop for you (to TIFF, JPG or BMP with various controls), really neat, it's a Javascript application. 

And...why would you convert to JPG (losing a lot of the information from RAW) before you edit?  Why didn't you just shoot JPG from the beginning?  Just wondering.

Jan 29 06 04:11 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

lll wrote:

Yes, please be patient with us dinosaurs. Although I try to get  contact sheets and at least a half dozen 8x10 b/w prints out within two weeks, some of my processes are a little more involved and require hours of work in the darkroom before I can even begin printing.

I explain this as clearly as I can to all models well before shooting. So far, all have been extremely understanding. The important thing seems to be clear communication of expected delivery dates, regardless of the medium you choose to work with.

Jan 29 06 07:08 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

You will be able to view and select images for additional processing of the raw imaging on a closed (non-public) gallery through my site by the time you get home.  Post production complete within 7 days, deliverable is either web ready files or prints.

Jan 29 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i shot yesterday...and the cd and prints are waiting for her to pick up this morning...another happy BCG client is added to the list.

Jan 29 06 10:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Meredith VanSickle

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'd say it depends on the situation.

In the situation that my company works in, it takes 3-4 weeks for models to get there disks. Its this way due to sheer volume. We are running an alternative pin up site, and even with the millions of hands we have helping out, it comes down 2 our 2 photographers to edit the pictures. Well, we spend our weeks doing this. The models get both edited photos and raw images so they can have someone else edit them if they like. Then we go to our other jobs *or school in my case* and on weekends shoot MORE girls. We spend anywhere from 4-12 hours on our shoots a day. Usually walking with close to 500 photos every model, 3-6 different costume changes and complete changes in makeup.
The models are told ahead of time that it takes that long for us. I don't see that it should be a problem if the models are told ahead of time and its agreed upon.

Jan 29 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I normally tell my clients "within 7 to 10 days" but since i'm not a photoshop photographer, they normally get their stuff back in 3 days.

Jan 29 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

lll wrote:
Just wondering.

Same here. I shoot in RAW mode too. I'm done that same day. Even when it comes to film. Maybe, I need to pace myself.

Jan 29 06 02:14 pm Link