Forums > General Industry > just show up with a bag of Stuff??

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

How do you typically handle your shoots?

how many of you can just go through a bag and pull shoot ideas together, vs preplanning the shoot concept, wardrobe and styling?

Jan 28 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I think the best plan is to throw things together that really show your body in a good light, will highlight facial features or jaw line. There are lots of things to plan for and if you know what exactly the photog or you want to shoot then you can plan accordingly.
Sometimes just pulling out a certain top thats shows more shoulder, chest area, arms will change the whole outlook of a outfit in a photo. Just remember you dont need whole outfits for certain shoots, so plan on having peices you can put together to make an outfit or appear as an outfit in a photo. You can have a dress shirt on and take wonderful head shots or bust shots and during the whole thing have on shorts or whatever.

Another idea i think is good, is to have makeup and other accessories on hand also those will change the look of the photo also. You can have lots of stuff from formal to casual for accessories but if the photog says "Wish i had something to put on yuor wrist that would go with this shot" ...walllaaaa you can pull a formal/dressy bracelet out of your bag and say "Will this work?"

Jan 28 06 11:33 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

good advice but I wanted to take a little survey of sorts...just to see what people do smile

Jan 28 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Tomi Hawk

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Angel Tara wrote:

how many of you can just go through a bag and pull shoot ideas together, vs preplanning the shoot concept, wardrobe and styling?

Its all I've ever done (specially on a tfp) Its one of the best ways to get something ..
Matter a fact, I just suggested to a model that .. thats what she should do ..lol
Just throw everything ya wanna shoot with .. ino a big bag .. (we're doin mostly swimwear and lingerie) so .. nothins so special, like an *outfit* that needs to be *pressed* or dry-cleaned..

But ya Tara .. I also like to get *some* sorta idea of just what it is that we're doing .. before we shoot .. ie: what are her *expectations* .. what her *limits* are .. etc..

Some of the best stuff is the stuff thats never planned .. BrianaL's image in my port was done from her just relaxing, while I was in the middle of changing *film* .. and I said .. "Dont move" .. lol .. Whamo .. we got *the image* that we were *both* happy with ..

Have fun .. make it a great day .. afterall .. it *is* a choice .. smile

Tomi

Jan 28 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Angel Tara wrote:

Personally, I do both, ... intensively preplan, then cut loose and brainstorm on my feet as I shoot.

I am an idea percolator and I tend to hyperfocus as I direct my abundant energy into what I do.

Continually, as I work on my daily tasks prior to a photo shoot, I'm simultaneously brainstorming ideas in the back of my head with the particular model in mind. I make extensive lists, sketches, thumbnails, etc., and I collect a folder of all the pictures I can easily find of my subject for study.

I concentrate on these lists until the moment I pick up my camera and start shooting. Then I cast the lists aside, focus on the model and begin shooting like a whirlwind.

Do you know the comedian Gallagher? I bond with my model and and start pulling props and ideas out of trunks and prop boxes. I smash watermellons, so to speak, with my camera.

When the photo shoot is over, we are both exhausted and spent. Replete. My studio looks like it was hit by a rocket. That's when I traditionally take my guests to a nice sushi restaurant at the corner for wind-down.

I can shoot for about 10 hours straight, single shot mode, before I have to stop for a cold beer and reboot my brain.

Typical photo shoots are 4-6 hours, but they can go on for 4 or 5 days with the right models.

Life intoxicates me.

Jan 28 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

Angel Tara wrote:

The best session are the ones that are totally preplanned.  But after the planned part of the session is over, it's also fun to just let the creativity flow, and see where it takes us.

Jan 28 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

One more important thing that's at the root of all photography for me:

I look for rich lighting first, then compose my imagery from there.

Amateurs worry about equipment
Professionals worry about money
Masters worry about light

I do all three, but I don't worry about anything ;-)

Jan 28 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Click Hamilton wrote:
Do you know the comedian Gallagher? I smash watermellons, so to speak, with my camera.

HAHA ... I'm going to wear roller skates to my next Click Hamilton Photo Shoot!

:: making sketches to myself for a nice image set on roller skates :::

here we go again .... yipeeeee!

PS - my manic episodes rarely stop, and there is no downside ;-)

Jan 28 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Angel Tara wrote:

On the one hand you have planning.  On the other you have the "free flow," for lack of a better term.  In between you have a flexible strategy.

I like using strategy.  Sure, you have the guidelines and idea, but you have to account for spontaneity and experimentation.  For me, I'll come up with a theme and follow it.  I might shoot several models on one particular theme.  With that, I'll have my ideas and inspirations, but sometimes I come across a model that makes me want to do in a totally different direction.

I periodically go from one extreme to the other just to keep my mind sharp.  Sometimes I'll call a model with whom I work frequently and just ask him or her to bring a bag full of clothes and I pick up whatever camera is nearby and whatever film is on hand and we shoot something completely unplanned, forming the ideas as I see whatever clothing he/she has brought.  Other times I map everything out to the last detail.  I'll meet with the model, get necessary stats, go out to scout locations, purchase wardrobe items and follow my outline to the letter.  I'll even take out my memo book and sketch a couple of poses that I want to use specifically.

I do, however, seldom use the overly planned method.  Much of the time it appears to lean more to the free-flow side, because I never write things down and it looks to people around as if I'm just "kinda drifting with a feeling" when I have it very structured in my head.  I always try and let people know exactly what I need and what I'm looking for and provide the best direction I can. 

I personally feel that if you lean more towards the spontaneous side in practice, you'll be better off when the "plan" goes awry and you have no choice but to improvise.  At that point, it's just reflexive.

Jan 28 06 12:05 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

I pretty much show up with a bunch of clothes, but not too much; then put them together and shoot! Many times I bring my own designs to shoot in...

♀

Jan 28 06 12:07 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

oh wow it really depends onthe shoot.
I usaly ask what the photographer has in mind.

If he is shooting for a project we shoot that and then shoot maybe an outfit of mine i had a idea for.
or we shoot bikini and I bring three bikinis and we shoot those.
or we shoot figure and that is the easiest outfit of all.
or one photographer has his own huge wardrobe I just use his.

This week I'm shooting fetish and glamour stuff so I'll bring that type of clothing.
I'll leave the long dresses at home.

Jan 28 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Eli Anthony

Mentor, Ohio, US

I let the model know what kind of area we will be shooting at she can put some outfits together, other times its just bring a suitcase of stuff and we will spend the day or afternoon shooting around the city and indoors.

Jan 28 06 01:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

A little of both.
But usually I have developed the concept before the shoot. It automatically creates itself in my head.

Jan 28 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I usually plan 1-2 looks, and come up with the rest during the shoot.

Jan 28 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Angel Tara wrote:

It depends.  The objective of any sitting with a new-to-me model is "get acquainted".  I find that I really don't know what a model looks like until I've photographed her.  There's a lot you can't "see" in a photography, like how she moves, what she reacts to, and most importantly "chemistry".  So, I only have a vague idea of what a sitting will be like with a new-to-me model, and perhaps I'll plan those a little more.  That way, I can let the model know beforehand what we will be doing, so that she can do a little planning of her own if she so desires.  If I've worked with a model before, I know better what to expect, and I may try more radical ideas and/or rely on improvisation during the sitting.

I'd say that I plan maybe two-thirds of the sitting & I have some preplanned ideas in reserve, but I'm open to inspiration at the moment.  I find that if I really want to push myself, I've got to plan some radical ideas, otherwise during the excitement of the sitting, I may rely on tried & true ideas & concepts.  I think my most significant images (i.e. the ones that lead me into new directions and/or demonstrate an improved skill) usually come from planned setups.

Jan 28 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Angel Tara wrote:

I just ask them to disrobe and sit on a toilet so it does'nt matter what they bring.

Jan 28 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
One more important thing that's at the root of all photography for me:

I look for rich lighting first, then compose my imagery from there.

Amateurs worry about equipment
Professionals worry about money
Masters worry about light

I do all three, but I don't worry about anything ;-)

Well said.

Jan 28 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

I usually tell models to bring everything and don't forget the shoes and accessories...

Once I see what my wardrobe options are, then I decide what to shoot and how...

Jan 29 06 11:42 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I'm an obsessive-compulsive planner.  I hate being told to just bring whatever, because invariably, it leads to the question "why didn't you bring a _______?"

Jan 29 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I love it when they do that, I like to piece together outfits.
I need to unchain my mind and get more funky with it though.

Jan 29 06 11:49 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

I love to be prepared these days.  I have had too many unprepared shoots where it just turns out to be poo poo.  Get a concept together first and then rock it out big_smile

Jan 30 06 01:21 am Link

Model

Alasyn

Johnstown, Colorado, US

I have at least 4 outfits already folded in a bag at all times for a shoot, they're my favorites, and they go to a shoot nomatter what I'm told to bring.  I usually ask the photogs what I should bring, and take two of whatever I'm told to bring, also another great thing to always take is that one outfit that you got the most attention with at the bar/club/woretochurch because you woke up in it after the bar saturday night, because it's probably something that really works for you.

Jan 30 06 01:31 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Pshaw.  If it's still on the next morning, the outfit didn't work that well after all.

Jan 30 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i must plan everything out and pull clothes that work with the location, either myself or via a stylist.  the model brings nothing, except maybe heels.

Jan 30 06 01:50 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Christopher Bush wrote:
i must plan everything out and pull clothes that work with the location, either myself or via a stylist.  the model brings nothing, except maybe heels.

I heart photogs like you!  big_smile

Jan 30 06 01:53 am Link

Model

Alasyn

Johnstown, Colorado, US

theda wrote:
Pshaw.  If it's still on the next morning, the outfit didn't work that well after all.

LOL. Mind you, I fail to mention anywhere that I'm a proud mom, so comming home from a night out means picking up baby from the sitter, getting him to sleep, and the one not getting him to sleep is the one that's passed out.  No lucky gonna happen.

Jan 30 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

My commercial steamer trumps your ironing! Muahahaha! big_smile

Jan 30 06 02:04 am Link