Forums > General Industry > Okay, that freaking ROCKED!

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Just got home from shooting the Eurotrash/Hot Pink/Akira fashion show at HardDrive in downtown Chicago. I could do that every day of the WEEK. Or at least I feel that way right now. The only real downside was meeting the 19-year old model who's also a better photographer than I may ever be. That made me a little sad. But only for a minute. Also, the lens I rented was useless in those lighting conditions: the auto-focus mostly wouldn't. I had to run the show. NOT what I had in mind!

I hate standing around being useless ("But you're so good at it, Marc!") so while I was waiting for the show to start I also got to throw out looky-loos who wandered past the fitting area looking for the bathroom (security was supposed to keep them out, frankly, they were asleep at the switch) and help with alterations (I always carry a variety of tools.) The time just flew by. smile

And as much as I like working with new models (which is a lot) these models (provided by Elite) kicked some serious butt. I really really really hope I did them any sort of justice. (Pics are downloading now, my FireWire reader died and all I have is a USB 1.1 reader, boo hiss.)

I'm waiting for downloads, like I said, and feeling hyper, so I just thought I'd share.

M

Jan 28 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

StMarc wrote:
Just got home from shooting the Eurotrash/Hot Pink/Akira fashion show at HardDrive in downtown Chicago. I could do that every day of the WEEK. Or at least I feel that way right now. The only real downside was meeting the 19-year old model who's also a better photographer than I may ever be. That made me a little sad. But only for a minute. Also, the lens I rented was useless in those lighting conditions: the auto-focus mostly wouldn't. I had to run the show. NOT what I had in mind!

I hate standing around being useless ("But you're so good at it, Marc!") so while I was waiting for the show to start I also got to throw out looky-loos who wandered past the fitting area looking for the bathroom (security was supposed to keep them out, frankly, they were asleep at the switch) and help with alterations (I always carry a variety of tools.) The time just flew by. smile

And as much as I like working with new models (which is a lot) these models (provided by Elite) kicked some serious butt. I really really really hope I did them any sort of justice. (Pics are downloading now, my FireWire reader died and all I have is a USB 1.1 reader, boo hiss.)

I'm waiting for downloads, like I said, and feeling hyper, so I just thought I'd share.

M

Congrats on the cool show. I love shooting live club events. I've been shooting a weekly live burlesque show for over 8 months and got so tired of shooting 5-12 models a night I had to take a break.

I'm wondering if you have a link to the show you're talking about so I can get an idea what you were in for?

Thanks,
Craig

Jan 28 06 03:06 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Here is the text of the announcement:

Please join Eurotrash, Akira & Hot Pink for the Spring 2006 fashion show!

This Friday at HardDrive (in Hyatt 151 E Wacker) the night starts with open hosted bar (10-11) and then the hottest new looks showcased on the runway at Midnight.

Normal cover is $20 for this show, but if you email me by Friday morning at [email protected] I will put you on the guest list (I need everyones full name).

Hair by: Art & Science Salon
Make-up by: Wendy Mills
Produced by: Melissa Brown/Lip Service Productions

Please join me, I look forward to seeing you there!

Pictures are downloaded, burned, and previews are generating. Oh, please, oh please...

M

Jan 28 06 03:24 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Remember that 19-year old genius I told you about?

I don't feel so bad now, because she told me she'd never shot a club show, and from speaking with her - talented though she is - she wouldn't have gotten any shots if she'd tried to shoot this one. (Not that she probably wouldn't have learned damn quick.)

I, meanwhile, was shooting my second club show, and got this:

https://www.datahero.com/stmarc/singlepics/7109_furcoat.jpg

Levels adjustment, otherwise right out of the camera. There may be more if the Muse is kind. But that one right there, I'm pretty happy about. Pretty DARN happy.

Let the rip-fest commence.

M

Jan 28 06 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Thank you for the update.
I'm just done converting the RAW files from the gig I shot last night.

Heres the invitation:

Host:  Seattle Fashion Industry Group
115 Blanchard St, Seattle, WA View Map 
When:  Friday, January 27, 9:00pm
Phone:  (206) 374-3733
Seattle Style TV Premier Party!

Seattle Style TV producers, cast and crew would like to invite you and a guest to attend a private party celebrating the premier. Join us to preview this hot new show and toast to it's creators and crew.

Created by Willow DaNaan, this innovative show will focus on fashion and style in and around Seattle.

"Seattle Style" will cover a wide range of topics and people related to the fashion industry, such as: local models, photographers, fashion designers, fashion shows and local boutique owners. It will also cover beauty topics, and highlight local resources for hair and make up, styling, and skin care. Each segment will provide tips and resources for the viewer, as well as a shopping guide.

The show's goal is to bring much-needed recognition to local businesses and talent, as well as helping to bring new life to Seattle style.

Meet the Goddesses, Seattle's most exciting modeling group, which features "natural beauties", a very diverse group that represent every woman, regardless of age, race, or size.
Join us on the mock "red carpet" where the Goddesses will be wearing evening gowns from local designers.

Sponsored by: Tempestuous Designs, See Sound Lounge, Hotel Monaco, Bella Sirena Boutique Salon, and "Just Change" by JDEZ.Com.

Formal attire requested.
For questions, please contact [email protected]
http://www.seattlestyletv.com/
www.seattlefashionindustry.com
Must be over 21.

Jan 28 06 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

StMarc wrote:
Snip

I, meanwhile, was shooting my second club show, and got this:

Snip

Levels adjustment, otherwise right out of the camera. There may be more if the Muse is kind. But that one right there, I'm pretty happy about. Pretty DARN happy.

Let the rip-fest commence.

M

Very nice, even light. Nice to see the club owner knows how to help with the lights and backdrop...wish I could say the same for some of the Seattle clubs

Jan 28 06 03:32 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Very nice, even light. Nice to see the club owner knows how to help with the lights and backdrop...wish I could say the same for some of the Seattle clubs

*giggle*

*snort*

Ha. Ha. Ha! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Help? With lights? Oh, no no no no no. THIS is what the lights looked like:

https://www.datahero.com/stmarc/singlepics/noflash.jpg

That picture was *me* and my flash *overriding* the lights. Said lights comprising moving spotlights, logo-projectors, eight million damnfools with p&s cameras, and nightclub ambient, if there is such a thing.

In the first pic, the flash was pivoted to bounce off this... thing... that was over the stage, with my hand as a direct flash partial block. (I forgot my block card.) Notice the shadow to model's left - that's from the part of my direct flash I let hit her.

By the way, here's the genius in the fitting room:

https://www.datahero.com/stmarc/singlepics/6907_quickie_bw.jpg

M

Jan 28 06 03:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Firefaery

Merrillville, Indiana, US

Hello!  How are you? Did you make the last meet-up?

Feb 01 06 01:05 am Link