Forums > General Industry > collaboration

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

There have been a couple of mentions of collaboration in other threads today, but I'm inferring that people mean different things by it.  What is collaboration for you?  Thoughts?

For me, it's more than a model showing up and knowing how to pose, how to look good.  Those things are important, but they're not unlike the photographer knowing how to properly expose or compose an image.  These are, for model and photographer, the basics, the building blocks.  Once one has reached a certain experience level, they're largely taken for granted.

For me, true collaboration begins when model and photographer are able to discuss ideas, concepts; when things happen in synergy that would not have happened alone or even with another.  At it's best, collaboration results in heightened senses, two people passionate about creating, two (or more) people excited about working together.  It's a little abstract, a little difficult to explain in words.  But somehow, the sum is greater than the parts.

Jan 27 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I agree with your assessment Ken.  Also, from personally watching you work, I know that you are able to reach your models in a way that I have never seen any other photographer do.  (And I have worked with a lot of photographers).  I truly believe that this is a talent, and although I know that you are far too modest to admit it, it is something that not just everyone can do.  I really look forward to working with you sometime in the near future..wink

Jan 27 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I agree with your assessment too.  It takes more than just the model showing up to make a collaboration.

Before I get flamed for saying the wrong thing, I'm going to clearly state that we are assuming this collaboration is a TFP or other similar arrangement for the mutual benefit of the model/photographer/stylist/whatever and not a client based shoot with or without an art director.

When I shot with Josie, she contacted the fashion designer and the makeup artist to make arrangements for the shoot, and it all came together, then I made the pictures.  I considered that to be a pretty collaborative process for everyone involved.  But it isn't the norm.

I welcome input from the models, but at most of my shoots, I come up with the lighting, location, set, usually provide some wardrobe, etc.  In order for me to consider it a collaboration, I'd have to have a model and/or stylist come to me and say "hey, I've got this great idea and I think you can help me/us pull it off."  That almost never happens.  Usually, the model shows up and says "just do whatever."  Which is fine.  But it does not a collaboration make.

Jan 27 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

It's always a collaboration.  Photographers just don't like to admit it for the obvious reasons.

Jan 27 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
It's always a collaboration.  Photographers just don't like to admit it for the obvious reasons.

It's always a collaboration if you always work with serious artists who want to collaborate.  That's not everyone.

Jan 27 06 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

Ken Mierzwa wrote:
There have been a couple of mentions of collaboration in other threads today, but I'm inferring that people mean different things by it.  What is collaboration for you?  Thoughts?

For me, it's more than a model showing up and knowing how to pose, how to look good.  Those things are important, but they're not unlike the photographer knowing how to properly expose or compose an image.  These are, for model and photographer, the basics, the building blocks.  Once one has reached a certain experience level, they're largely taken for granted.

For me, true collaboration begins when model and photographer are able to discuss ideas, concepts; when things happen in synergy that would not have happened alone or even with another.  At it's best, collaboration results in heightened senses, two people passionate about creating, two (or more) people excited about working together.  It's a little abstract, a little difficult to explain in words.  But somehow, the sum is greater than the parts.

I agree with ideas and concepts. For me, it is also about planning and communication in  order to complete the idea efficiently.

Jan 27 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Toria, you also connect well with your models; perhaps in a different way, but I've seen you do it.

Amanda, I see you've worked with Sindel Chaos; she's certainly capable of contributing in a  unique way to a shoot, and it looks like the two of you created some good things together smile

Melvin... does that mean I can shoot with any model on MM and get good results?

Jan 27 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Man, all these sticky little subjects today.  I'm in the camp that feels a collaboration is when two or more people pull off a project that is easily greater than the sum of it's parts. 

The work that I'm shooting right now is definitely collaborative, I'm asking people to put themselves through emotional hoops, intimacy that pushes comfortable boundaries, and huge time commitments.  It's just as much them in the photos as it is me, and the two combined do become a third entity. 

A model showing up and striking a pose for a bit in a scenario I've concocted, lit, designed and shot... not really a collaboration, or at least it might be, but on a much lower level.  I'm projecting more of myself and my ideas on them than they are of themselves into my photos.

make sense?

Jan 27 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

It's always a collaboration if you always work with serious artists who want to collaborate.  That's not everyone.

That must be a drag...Maybe it's the reason why all the "professionals" I know hate photography so much.

Jan 27 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Ken Mierzwa wrote:
Melvin... does that mean I can shoot with any model on MM and get good results?

Of course not.  The part of the process that photographers ignore is being selective.  If you're not perceptive enough to find the right collaborator, then you're going to get the results you deserve.  There are actually well-known models who I would never think of working with because they're all wrong for what I do [and vice-versa].  Being thoughtful enough to know who to work with and who not to work with is part of the deal.

Like a metaphor?  Here you go:

When John Entwistle passed away, Townsend and Daltrey didn't call Yo-Yo Ma to replace him.  That dosen't make Yo Yo Ma a bad musisician, just the wrong one for that particular job.

If we photographers just gave up this coctail of insecurity and conceit for a while, things would go a lot smoother.

Jan 27 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

It is almost always a collaboration with me, unless the model is stiff and doesn't know what to do. But I come with ideas, and they have some and together we make something,

Star

Jan 27 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
The part of the process that photographers ignore is being selective.  If you're not perceptive enough to find the right collaborator, then you're going to get the results you deserve.  There are actually well-known models who I would never think of working with because they're all wrong for what I do [and vice-versa].  Being thoughtful enough to know who to work with and who not to work with is part of the deal.

We're not as far apart as you might think; the majority of the models I work with do fall into the collaboration category under my definition, and that's because, like you, I'm usually selective.  But every now and then someone asks for a basic portfolio update and I have time so I agree.  Some of those shoots, while I don't regret them, and they can be a way to do something fresh or just to stay sharp... aren't the same thing... at least for me.

So I think we're both saying that there are different levels, and I'll agree with you that with the right approach and a little patience we can, more often than not, work at whatever level we desire.  But then do we still call those levels the same thing?  If the simple physical act of two people being in the same room with a camera is a collaboration, then maybe we need to call the intense creative/emotional level something else.  Or if the more intense level is a collaboration, then maybe what those GWCs and wannabe models are doing should be called something else.  Maybe there's yet another word for a basic catalog shoot where the client dictates the terms, and so on.

See what I mean?  Some people seem to feel that any shoot is a collaboration.  You seem to make a distinction (if I'm interpreting this correctly), and put the responsibility on the photographer to find the right model; but that's still a distinction.  Others are applying the word to a more intense experience.  That's what I was seeing earlier, people using the same word to mean different things, and basically I'm curious how widespread this is.  Not sure there's a right or wrong, just shades of gray, a sometimes ambiguous word, and a variety of perspectives.

Jan 27 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Collaboration for me only has the goal to please two people - the model and myself.

I simply view the models that I have worked with as co-creators of the images.  We have spent the entire process working together to make the images as good as we can.  I have never yet worked with a model that didn't bring a lot to the table in terms of her own ideas and a positive attitude. 

And If I'm happy with the results - and she looks at the images and is pleased, that's the bottom line for me.   We were successful in our only important goal and worked together to achieve it.

If other people look at my shots here and find them pleasing or attractive - that's all just more icing on the cake.

Vintagevista

Jan 27 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

That must be a drag...Maybe it's the reason why all the "professionals" I know hate photography so much.

It's not a drag.  I think photography is fun, whether I'm creating serious art or shooting a wedding.  It'd be a drag if I only saw myself as an artiste and any other form of photography was boring or unfulfilling for me, but it's not.

Jan 27 06 11:36 pm Link