Forums > General Industry > As much as it changes ... it's all the same.

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

One thing I gathered from reading the boards the past few weeks is that as much as things change (internet, cameras, digital vs film, etc) everything stays the same -- because it's all about people.

The jokes are the same.

The situations are the same.

The problems are the same.

And even the art is much the same -- there's just more of it, and it's easier to see.

So, with all the models complaining about photographers, and photographers complaining about models, and all the other stuff -- rest assured, it's been dealt with before by the past 2 generations (at least), and we've all survived.

The real big difference, is that it's so much easier to see people's work, to communicate, and hook up.

And, conversely, that allows people to get into more trouble, and give the scammers more targets.

*BUT* it's not _new_.   

So, from a historical perspective (30+ years), ENJOY the freedom and openness of hooking up, sharing, contacting and collaborating that the Internet and Digital (everything) has given you.

Just don't forget your common sense, and realize that people haven't changed.  There are good and bad.  It's just easier for *EVERYONE*, good or bad, to hook up.  You don't have to meet in bars, coffee shops, photo shows, cafeterias, and all the places we used to seek out contacts.  You can do it from a chair in your home or dorm room, any time of the day or night.  And, you never get to see their eyes, read their body language, or listen to that instinctive voice in your head.  *THAT* is the change.

It's a Brave New World, with all the same old people smile

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Jan 27 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Sure the art's changed... you don't see many photographers taking shots of 3 spear carrying men chasing down a mastadon on the plains...

ok, ok.. so the jokes haven't changed...

Jan 27 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Palm Springs, California, US

I know whatcha mean...

I think it's funny how people are quick to moan and flame with "This topic has already been covered!!!" posts, but really, how many different topics are there to cover? New people join every day, and they have questions that need answering.

This site should come with the requisite grain of salt (squeeze of lime, and tequila shot optional.)

Jan 27 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Side Effects Studio wrote:
This site should come with the requisite grain of salt (squeeze of lime, and tequila shot optional.)

ABSOLUTEly NOT!  The Tequila is *not* optional!

Jan 27 06 11:50 pm Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

Tequila after the shoot is always nice. But I am actually a wine drinker. So, a glass of wine after!

Jan 28 06 12:00 am Link