Forums > General Industry > NYC MM Meetup (4.0) will be February 18th, 9pm

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Chili, this was not a Model Mayhem event.  It was a Chili Palmer event to which you invited people from Model Mayhem.

Thank you Brian, I knew there was something wrong with this! wink
♀

Jan 29 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

elisaveta ♀ wrote:
I did not know about it either!!!
♀

Let's do the TIME WARP again

if you go back and re-read your MM email you will see that i told you about it on 11/26/05, you said you would try to make it

next thing, you'll tell me you dont know about quigley's show at Hiro (he's invited kate moss, madonna, gwen stephanie, amongst others)

Jan 29 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

GOTHIC HANGMAN STUDIOS

New York, New York, US

SOUNDS LIKE AN IDEA MAY I SUGGEST SPICE MARKET?

Jan 29 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Chili wrote:
Let's do the TIME WARP again

if you go back and re-read your MM email you will see that i told you about it on 11/26/05, you said you would try to make it

next thing, you'll tell me you dont know about quigley's show at Hiro (he's invited kate moss, madonna, gwen stephanie, amongst others)

Chili, I know about it, and I could not make it...but that was not a MM meet up. It was your show which you invited people to, many from here..
♀

and yes, I'll do q's show if he does it, so I do know about it. Please, don't twist my words!! wink

Jan 29 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

more than one MM moderator has said "there is no such thing as an 'offical' MM meetup" and that anyone can organize one. (when 2 or more are gathered in my name, etc etc) and several moderators told me to feel free and go ahead and organize one for DEC which i did. YES, i combined it with an event of mine. but it was posted in the correct forum as "a NYC DEC MM meetup". 

Now if today, a moderator wants to say  "oh no, it wasnt 'sanctioned' by the MM powers that be" thats fine too

Jan 29 06 11:05 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Chili wrote:
more than one MM moderator has said "there is no such thing as an 'offical' MM meetup" and that anyone can organize one. (when 2 or more are gathered in my name, etc etc) and several moderators told me to feel free and go ahead and organize one for DEC which i did. YES, i combined it with an event of mine. but it was posted in the correct forum as "a NYC DEC MM meetup". 

Now if today, a moderator wants to say  "oh no, it wasnt 'sanctioned' by the MM powers that be" thats fine too

Well, I only got your e-mail and never saw the forum back then...But there were a total of four official MM meet-up's in NYC, as far as I can remember.
♀

Jan 29 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Chili wrote:

Calm down, anyone can start one. No call for misquoting people yet. Not sure how I missed that you did one in December.

Maybe we should have some gathering guidelines, like no two meetings within an hour's drive of eachother, etc. More rules of thumb than rules of the road. Anyway, getting off topic.

This is the fourth one I'll have organized.

I will post the location as soon as it's confirmed. Tomorrow I'm going to scout the bar Stephen Bodi recommened weeks ago and if it looks good I'll chat then and there or call them and let the manager know we're coming.

Jan 30 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Ok Chili, Brian found your meetup thread from December.

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=17753

Here's the thing... it totally looks like the event was about you being a star.

MM meetups cannot be about someone being the star and they can't be something where models get in free and photograpers and stylists have to pay.

We all need to be on a level playing field if we're going to get together under the MM banner, and I think if we're going to have rules of thumb for MM meetups this has to be the first actual MM Meetup rules: (1) the organizer or their business cannot be the star and (2) we don't have them in a place where anyone from Model Mayhem is going to have to pay a cover.

No offense to you, Chili, but that was nothing like the other three NYC meetups, and reaks of an eliteist foundation that just doesn't jive with the spirit of Model Mayhem's community.

Jan 30 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Just to be clear, it was this part of your posting...

All mayhem models of course will be admitted free and in all likelyhood afforded VIP access (bottle service, champagne, etc., well at least for my featured models in the show)

you other $2 PBR guys should get in free too and i will get yous (if you ask nicely) some free drink tickets

...that I take issue with.

https://forum.nc2600.org/images/smiles/protest.gif

Not that you decided to organize an event, which I think is great.

https://forum.nc2600.org/images/smiles/occasion14.gif

If I had known, I would have given you access to the nycmeetup user account to advertise. I was out of town and not looking in at Off Topic (seldom go in there anyway).

So let's just forget about it and have some fun at this one.

https://forum.nc2600.org/images/smiles/icon_joker.gifhttps://forum.nc2600.org/images/smiles/icon_geek.gif
https://forum.nc2600.org/images/smiles/occasion16.gifhttps://forum.nc2600.org/images/smiles/occasion18.gif
https://forum.nc2600.org/images/smiles/pottytrain2.gifhttps://forum.nc2600.org/images/smiles/headbang.gif
https://forum.nc2600.org/images/smiles/thumbsup.gif

Jan 30 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

hey ched, in the original 'context' of the ongoing discussion in that forum i think it was pretty well understood by all that i was screwing around with some of the guys. the whole $2 PBR was just a joke/busting balls, everyone (M or F, model, MUA, or tog) who showed up got in for free, got free drinks, and got free VIP service.

now the vibe i got that month also, was that some people (probably 60/40) were tired of having the meetups in local salons, and wanted something more 'elitist'.

and i dont know if i agree with the ' no star' rule, cuz if someone else is picking up the whole tab, then they're a star in my book, and they can be the star of the show/night, maybe ask people how they feel about it first?

Jan 30 06 09:00 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I'm not 21...will this be somewhere I can actually go?

Jan 30 06 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

Nemi wrote:

there's a Toys-R-Us next door smile

Jan 30 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Chili: Ok. Working on the meetup rules thing as a moderator side project, will have to get back to you. Any thoughts you have on organization and your "lessons learned" from putting it on, please PM me.

Nemi wrote:

I'm not sure. I didn't make it over there today, going tomorrow. I'll let you know what the bar's policy is on underage admission.

Jan 31 06 01:06 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Louis Braga wrote:

there's a Toys-R-Us next door smile

I am an underaged ankle biter...you better watch your back.

Jan 31 06 01:09 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Ched wrote:
Chili: Ok. Working on the meetup rules thing as a moderator side project, will have to get back to you. Any thoughts you have on organization and your "lessons learned" from putting it on, please PM me.

I'm not sure. I didn't make it over there today, going tomorrow. I'll let you know what the bar's policy is on underage admission.

okok, I'm not that far underage...less than a year.

Jan 31 06 01:10 am Link

Model

Joey Frazzio

Seattle, Washington, US

Sweet I Might just be able to go down there for a week I need the Location!

Jan 31 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

LOCATION CONFIRMED:

Saturday, February 18th, 9pm. The place is called 288, which is the street address, but it is also called Tom and Jerry. There is no sign. It is on Elizabeth Street a few feet north of Houston Street on the East side of the street. Look for MM'ers in the back.

Jan 31 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Nemi wrote:

I don't think you can be in there past 10pm.

Jan 31 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

For you visual people:

https://www.briandiazphotography.com/288-1.gif

https://www.briandiazphotography.com/288-2.gif

Jan 31 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Thanks, Brian.

I mentioned it when I edited the first post in the thread, but I'll say it again down here. The bar is dog friendly.

*** canine companion not required for entry

Jan 31 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Show the meetup account some love, people! big_smile

Jan 31 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

ched check your email

and 'bump'

Jan 31 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Chili wrote:
ched check your email

I got it, responding. We'll get this straightened out yet.

Jan 31 06 09:43 pm Link

Model

Janesse

New York, New York, US

Ched wrote:
Saturday, February 18th, 9pm. The place is called 288, which is the street address, but it is also called Tom and Jerry. There is no sign. It is on Elizabeth Street a few feet north of Houston Street on the East side of the street. Look for MM'ers in the back.

I've been talking to a couple people and it seems time to have another MM meetup in the fashion capitol.

Fashion Week is coming up and I know a couple of you will be on life support after that, so we're looking at Saturday the 18th.

(288 Elizabeth Street*** about 15 steps north of Houston Street)

***Do not use Google Maps to find it, they list the bar at 40 Elizabeth Street which is incorrect.

The closest subway stop is Bleecker Street on the 6.

BTW, the bar is DOG FRIENDLY

There is a large long table in the back under the video screen and I was told if we get someone there at 8pm we should be able to hold it for the group. Volunteers?

NYT Review: http://travel2.nytimes.com/top/features … 2207966827

Frommer's Review:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/ne … 24440.html

This month's location recommended by Stephen Bodi (MM#8494)

So, to recap...

Jan 31 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

MB Photo 13

New York, New York, US

Meetup (4.0) cool cool cool. Well I hope I can make it, life has been crazy for me for the past 3 months so I will try to swing on by

CHEERS

Feb 01 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Arturo Cantu

New York, New York, US

Ched wrote:
Thanks, Brian.

I mentioned it when I edited the first post in the thread, but I'll say it again down here. The bar is dog friendly.

*** canine companion not required for entry

Dog friendly? Great.. thats means I'll be sneezing all night... sad
oh well...  I'll make sure to bring my meds..

Feb 01 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Wait a minute, you said "Dog Friendly", I'm out, I don't want to hang out anywhere where animals are allowed entrance... 
Eeeewwww....

Feb 01 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Hamza wrote:
Wait a minute, you said "Dog Friendly", I'm out, I don't want to hang out anywhere where animals are allowed entrance... 
Eeeewwww....

Don't be a girlie-man, Hamza. tongue

Feb 01 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Sure!!!

Feb 01 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Arturo Cantu

New York, New York, US

Curios... who brings their dog out to a bar? seems funny to me..

Feb 01 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

acp wrote:
Curios... who brings their dog out to a bar? seems funny to me..

See the previous NYC meetup threads for frequent complaints about not being able to bring dogs.

Feb 01 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Ched wrote:
See the previous NYC meetup threads for frequent complaints about not being able to bring dogs.

Who wants to go drinking with their dog? 
Since when did Dogs become citizens?
What is it with Dog People that they have to take their damn pets everywhere they go? That's what spouses and kids are for...

A bar is not a place for kids or dogs...

Why don't you have everyone who intends to go to the meet RSVP and let you know if they are planning on bringing a pet or are under 21.  See what the majority is and choose a place accordingly.

Feb 01 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Because that would require more effort and co-ordination.

Stephen mentioned it was dog friendly after I had already checked it out and thought it was a good place to have the gathering. That was not in my decision process. I only later found out that he had suggested it so the various mascots could come too.

This is like our first meetup location only more eccentric. Main drawback is no Galaga, but it's in Manhattan so I think that is a decent tradeoff.

Feb 01 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Ched wrote:
Because that would require more effort and co-ordination.

So you really don't want to Network, you just want to go out and drink? And hope other people show up so you won't drink alone?

Feb 01 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Hamza wrote:
So you really don't want to Network, you just want to go out and drink?

No, I just want to go out.

Feb 01 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Chili and I are talking about doing a more industry-centric than website-centric meetup, if that's what you're worried about. This is to meet the people here on the site. Other opportunities for other things are probably on the way.

I just want to meet people to work with, match names to faces, that sort of thing. I wasn't really expecing a kind of Spanish Inquisition...

Feb 01 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Hamza wrote:

So you really don't want to Network, you just want to go out and drink? And hope other people show up so you won't drink alone?

If you build it, they will come.

(And nobody expects...)

Feb 01 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Ched wrote:

No, I just want to go out.

LMAO!

Ched wrote:
Chili and I are talking about doing a more industry-centric than website-centric meetup, if that's what you're worried about. This is to meet the people here on the site. Other opportunities for other things are probably on the way.

I just want to meet people to work with, match names to faces, that sort of thing. I wasn't really expecing a kind of Spanish Inquisition...

I just wanted to know where you were coming from that's all...

Feb 01 06 07:05 pm Link

Model

Sheri B

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

Well I hope I can make it.  It sounds like it may be fun.  You said it was dog friendly.  What about cat friendly?  Can I bring my cats with me?   smile

Feb 01 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

You might need to call the bar on the cats thing.

Feb 01 06 08:01 pm Link