Forums > General Industry > Black cloud????

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

Is it me or do I have a black cloud that follows me on days I'm suppose to shoot?  I've looked for it in the mirror, but haven't seen it.  It doesn't seem to follow me other days.  Everyone seems fairly safe on those days, but the days I'm suppose to shoot, something ominious happens.   Models need to beware because I may be the ultimate jinx and your life may definitely be in jeopardy if you decide to shoot with me!!!  I kid you not!!  Now, you won't make the shoot.  That's a positive.  You'll never even see me.   But, scheduling a shoot with me will cause you to have car wrecks, broken and dislocated bones, concussions, emergency baby sitting duties, stomach aches, hang overs, lost glasses, I have to go shopping for my dog and the ever popular answer, "I just haven't gotten my stuff together yet."  I would say that out of the 10 shoots I had scheduled this month 4 were cancelled because of some of those reasons and one was a "real" black cloud because it rained yesterday.  I know, it may have truly happened, but it's not like this is an anomaly.  It happens quite a bit.  So, I think models may just want to steer clear of me.  I am the harbinger of mayhem!   I have come to the conclusion that ALL shoots require a deposit and not just some.  Anybody with me???   Models beware, beware, bewareeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Jan 23 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

You have said it all bubba !!!!!             How about  "cant find a thing to wear" ???

Jan 23 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Hmmm...I gather you not paying these 'models'.

Paul

Jan 23 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Merlinpix wrote:
Hmmm...I gather you not paying these 'models'.

Paul

yeah, i bet that's a big part of it.  it is for me and i've just had to roll with it because i'm getting what i paid for.

Jan 23 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

So you have a 50% success rate?  That's not so bad actually wink (assuming tfp)

In "Sunny San Diego" I manage to get clouds (literally) every time I shoot at the beach.  Sometimes I've even wished the model had cancelled (one time she did and I was happy about it smile).  I've pretty much given up and will only shoot the beach from OC on up.  I might give San Onofre a try.

Jan 23 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

wolff wrote:
How about  "cant find a thing to wear" ???

Answer: "Not a problem" tongue  Actually, I have a few things I carry with me...

Jan 23 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

No, they are paying me!  Well, some are with the deposits, but sometimes I get a little lax and don't require it.  Wrong answer!

Jan 23 06 01:58 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Um yea... I had to fly across the country this week on less than 12 hour notice so I let a few photographers know I would not be in town. It happens for real at times.
Although I was so brain fried that I tried to put a notice in my profile and it didn't stick????

I hope you have better luck soon.

Jan 23 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Um yea... I had to fly across the country this week on less than 12 hour notice so I let a few photographers know I would not be in town. It happens for real at times.
Although I was so brain fried that I tried to put a notice in my profile and it didn't stick????

I hope you have better luck soon.

Well, I understand that it happens, but in the rest of my life, it doesn't happen with this type of frequency.  Know what I mean.  Bad things happen to people, but not all the time.  Damn!  I'm telling your that if you made an appointment with me, you'd have a 50% chance of something very bad happening to you!  (According to the the odds of shooting with me an my rate of cancellations.)

Jan 23 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

B Ellis Photography wrote:
I'm telling your that if you made an appointment with me, you'd have a 50% chance of something very bad happening to you!

Manifestation!

If you think your model will flake, she probably will.

If you manifest the positive and envision a productive shoot, it will happen.

But to avoid Murphy’s Law, have a back-up so when the next shoot is veered off course due to an ingrown hair on her toe or her braces getting stuck on her boyfriends tongue ring, you'll have a stand in.

Jan 23 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

C R Photography wrote:

Manifestation!

If you think your model will flake, she probably will.

If you manifest the positive and envision a productive shoot, it will happen.

But to avoid Murphy’s Law, have a back-up so when the next shoot is veered off course due to an ingrown hair on her toe or her braces getting stuck on her boyfriends tongue ring, you'll have a stand in.

True!

Jan 23 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Carlton Primm

Dallas, Texas, US

Yeah, those cancellations are a bummer.  I try not to require some sort of deposit, but it has caused me to lose money when I have to turn down a job because of an appointment and then that appointment cancels.  I know area photogs who don't book an appointment until there is some sort of deposit.

I enjoy shooting sports and at one point I said I would no longer shoot models because of all of the 'no shows' and lame excuses.  I've had a run of good luck though ::knocking on wood:: especially with a few that I have hooked up with thru MM.

Good luck to you man.

Jan 23 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

Carlton Primm wrote:
Yeah, those cancellations are a bummer.  I try not to require some sort of deposit, but it has caused me to lose money when I have to turn down a job because of an appointment and then that appointment cancels.  I know area photogs who don't book an appointment until there is some sort of deposit.

I enjoy shooting sports and at one point I said I would no longer shoot models because of all of the 'no shows' and lame excuses.  I've had a run of good luck though ::knocking on wood:: especially with a few that I have hooked up with thru MM.

Good luck to you man.

Yeah, sometimes it goes that way.  I remember saying one time not too long ago,
"Boy, I haven't heard a lame excuse lately."  Me and my big mouth!  Come on, I actually some of the excuses I've heard are pretty creative.  Once I got "My puppy bumped his head and has a concussion!"  WTF?  How do you know???  That was a good one though.  Had to give props for that.

Jan 23 06 05:28 pm Link