Forums > General Industry > Hosting Companies for WebSites

Model

TabooFitnessModel

Chicago, Illinois, US

Can anyone recommend any good US Hosting Companies?  The current hosting I have is located in the UK which doesn't work well if you have site issues and are located in the US.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Also any good web design sites.  I think it is time for me to do a complete overhaul on both site and host. 

Greatly appreciate it.  Thanks

Donna  aka: taboomodel

Jan 23 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

JimNew

Los Angeles, California, US

I've had good results with Hostgator and Dathorn. You can find tons of info on hosters here.

Jan 23 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I host for as little as 5.99 a month. Others may be cheaper but their cheap package does not offer the same programs and such as their top package. The only difference in our small package and large package is the amount of space you get.

Jan 23 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

You may find this web site helpful:

http://www.findmyhosting.com/

Jan 23 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Paul Ward

New York, New York, US

i use aplus.net for my site and have been extremely happy with them.

Jan 23 06 11:19 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

splashswim

Cocoa Beach, Florida, US

Godaddy.com - there is simply no better hosting company!!!

Jan 23 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

I use yahoo hosting...  30 bucks a month...  No headaches...

Jan 23 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Paul Ward wrote:
i use aplus.net for my site and have been extremely happy with them.

Hey Paul, I am also happy with Aplus.net ... they are a bit more expensive but it works well with my system as far as security and credit card billing.  If you have a high level or volume website, I recommend upgrading to a dedicated server to avoid problems with bandwidth usage.

Jan 23 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I'm with http://www.hostdime.com they're pretty dependable and cheap, and you get a lot of space.

Jan 23 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

One of the largest right now with the newest, up to date servers, in http://www.hostrocket.com

Have used it for over a year and is very reliable, with 24 hour phone support, which is a huge plus!  The few times I have called have been quick.  Support via email is almost as fast.

Jan 23 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I use Fatcow.com --- great price and great customer service.

Jan 23 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I like webair.com.. not the cheapest, but pretty damn cheap.

Jan 23 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

The Art of CIP wrote:
I use yahoo hosting...  30 bucks a month...  No headaches...

Thats expensive isn't it?

Jan 23 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

JM Dean wrote:

Thats expensive isn't it?

Yes it is... I use dreamhost

https://www.dreamhost.com/images/rewards/234x60-a.gif

Jan 23 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

raveneyes wrote:

This one is wicked, Raveneyes, thanks for an awesome tip (I won't tell on you, though)

Jan 23 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

MarkMarek wrote:

This one is wicked, Raveneyes, thanks for an awesome tip (I won't tell on you, though)

No tell on me...tell on me big_smile They give a GREAT referral credit...

Jan 23 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

raveneyes wrote:

I noticed. Either way, you do deserve credit, cause I wouldn't know about these guys otherwise. And I will be switching my webhost in late Feb. There's another one though, which is not as packed, but a bit cheaper, so I'm still undecided about which way to go. The truth is, that for the price, these guys give you more than you could ever get elsewhere. I mean, look at other rip off artists charging $19.95 for 5GB bandwidth... With their higher programs you can get $200GB transfer, but these are $99 a month. Dreamhost - holy macaroni, 1 TB a month and constantly growing. Utterly - a dream host.

Once again, thanks for a great tip.

Jan 23 06 06:27 pm Link

Model

Ms Isadora VonPainne

Columbus, Ohio, US

Hi Donna,

I have had some wonderful results with www.hairyglove.com (I know is sounds freaky), but they are professional, and within the past year, I have had no issues with them.

Best of luck in your search!

Jan 23 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Oh!  Something to think about:  if you intend to put any nudity on your web site (including "implied", like on your profile), you may want to check with potential hosts to make sure they are okay with that.  Some host can be quite conservative with regards to things like that.

Jan 23 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

raveneyes wrote:

Any preinstalled scripts? What control panel does the user use?

Jan 23 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

JM Dean wrote:
Any preinstalled scripts?

Like formmail?  I don't know off the top of my head I haven't used any of them...

You may want to ask them directly http://www.dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

JM Dean wrote:
What control panel does the user use?

They have a control panel to do everything possible with your domain from managing DNS to setting up multiple domains, to mail handling...  I think they programmed it themselves...it is very versatile and I've only had 1 hour of down time in the last 3 or so years, but down time requests are answered very quickly...by phone if you ask them to...usually in under 10 minutes from my experience.

Jan 23 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Response time is very fast. I already contacted them and got the reply right away. I'm a little reluctant to have my site hosted in the US, because of your brutal laws regarding nudity and stuff, but hell, that's the best hosting deal I've ever seen. Folks looking for the ultimate hosting package should click the button above. At last the company which provides what you need without a rip off.

Jan 23 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Creativity Farm

Westville, New Jersey, US

I've been pretty happy with http://www.lunarpages.com .  Plenty of storage space, nice scripts, more databases than you can use, and for us programming nerds, php, java, and asp, all for dirt cheap prices.  Reliablity is good, and tech support is quick and friendly.

Jan 23 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

TabooFitnessModel

Chicago, Illinois, US

WOW!!! Thank you everyone for your hosting advice...I guess I have my homework cut out for me...I am paying a ridiculous price of $29.95 a month with a UK hosting company which takes them 3 to 4 days to respond to an issue.  Off the top of my head I think I have 30(mb?)space.  So I am ready to move it back to the states...lol.  On top of that they have control of my domain name so I'm sure the laws of the UK are different from the US.  I know another model had a thread going on Domain name and you being able to access your on domain name.

Thank you again to everyone who has been extremely helpful with my quest. :-D

Donna  aka: taboomodel

Jan 23 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Ward

New York, New York, US

wow that dreamhost is a sweet deal.

Jan 24 06 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Paul Ward

New York, New York, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Hey Paul, I am also happy with Aplus.net ... they are a bit more expensive but it works well with my system as far as security and credit card billing.  If you have a high level or volume website, I recommend upgrading to a dedicated server to avoid problems with bandwidth usage.

i dont have a bandwidth problem yet and have only had to call customer support once. they upgraded their plans a few months ago as well.

Jan 24 06 06:32 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I use ATCI Hosting.  They are very responsive and very helpful.  They will even move your existing website to their servers for you.

You can get more information about them here:

http://www.atcihosting.com/?ref_id=140

Jan 24 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

raveneyes wrote:

I *just* opened up an account with them (thanks to your referral) and I *did* click the banner that points to the referral cgi. While it doesn't look like that, by itself, did much to associate my signup and your referral, I'll make sure that they know you referred me and make sure you get the appropriate credit.

THANKS!!! smile

Jan 24 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

kickfight wrote:
I *just* opened up an account with them (thanks to your referral) and I *did* click the banner that points to the referral cgi. While it doesn't look like that, by itself, did much to associate my signup and your referral, I'll make sure that they know you referred me and make sure you get the appropriate credit.

THANKS!!! smile

Thank you so much... they're really a great host AND I love their referral program...I don't have any clue why their referral program is so good, but I love them for having it.

big_smile

Jan 24 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

www.1and1.com

They support PHP and ASP depending upon the hosting plan. I use them for all my stuff including:

www.EricMuss-Barnes.com
www.CaliforniaBikeNights.com
www.WyndFeather.com

Jan 24 06 02:59 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

KiwiBikinis

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Tiora.Net

I've been with them for 8 years and I've never had a problem, never even had down time! I love that I pay with Paypal too.
For the most basic set up for $7.00
Account Features:
  » 500 Megabytes Storage
  » 5 Gigabytes Data Transfer
  » 5 FTP Accounts
  » 10 E-Mail Accounts
  » PLESK 7 Control Panel
  » Unlimited E-Mail Aliases
  » Unlimited Auto Responders
  » Password Protected Directories
  » Full CGI Access
  » WebMail System
  » Complete PHP4 Support
  » Detailed Web Site Statistics
  » Redundant Nightly Backups
  » Pre-Configured CGI
  » Perl 5, Python
  » 30 Day Unconditional Money Back
  » 99.95% Network Uptime

Jan 24 06 03:01 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

www.p4host.com

the really cool thing is that you can actually get to speak to a LIVE person if there are any problems. I've been with them for 2 years and have never had any problems.

Jan 24 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

i dont know if anybody mentioned it, but customer service is very important when choosing as well

i've been rocking with westnic for a while now, great service, especially for producers/webmasters who are hosting more than 1 website

http://www.westnic.net - 10GB of space and 300GB of bandwidth for 7 bucks or $23 every three months. their customer service is good and reliable and detailed as well. they also use cPanel, which is something dreamhost doesnt use (had them for 1+ years and service was okay)

another spot is Ipowerweb, their more costly but excellent customer service
http://www.ipowerweb.com - its well worth the extra bucks you pay.

to anybody who is not exactly experienced with the options on configuration with web hosting, going with a spot with cPanel is probably a key, because its easy to navigate and run throgh. dreamhost has its own panel, but no outright cPanel to edit your pages in the program unless you use an outside source.

Jan 24 06 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Chuck Holliday wrote:
dreamhost has its own panel, but no outright cPanel to edit your pages in the program unless you use an outside source.

Why would you ever edit your web page using a web interface?

Yuck...I can only imagine the crappy code that results in...

Sorry...that was off topic, but I really have no idea why you would want to edit your pages via a web interface.

On topic, dreamhost's control panel is constantly changing and expanding...the latest update to it you can do everything *except* update your individual web pages...

Dreamhost's service for me has thus far been stellar...they always acknowledge when they're dealing with a customer who has a bit of experience at troubleshooting and take their problem reports at face value.  I've never had to go through a troubleshooting script with these guys...just report the problem...copy and past a couple of trace routes for their verification if I want and I've never waited longer than 10 minutes for a response to an emergency...

I've waited for responses to non emergency issues (like asking about payouts on the referral program), but that's not a big deal to me...would it be to anyone?

Plus you can get a real person to call you inside of 10 minutes instead of having to waste your time waiting on hold...BIG bonus to me...I just wait for the phone to ring big_smile

Jan 24 06 03:16 pm Link