Forums > General Industry > Moving to the USA....

Model

Jaedyn

York, England, United Kingdom

Hey MM's..

Little advice would be greatly appreciated. Im wanting to move over to the states from the UK but Im not sure how to go about it.
Can anyone suggest what the first steps are??

Jan 23 06 07:22 am Link

Photographer

IVMPHOTO

Centreville, Alabama, US

what do you want to do in the US?

Jan 23 06 07:24 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Well, don`t know why you would want to move here......while Europe is STILL the Bomb, but I guess I would suggest marrying an American is the first step

Jan 23 06 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Jan 23 06 07:26 am Link

Model

Jaedyn

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:
Well, don`t know why you would want to move here......while Europe is STILL the Bomb, but I guess I would suggest marrying an American is the first step

Yeah well we all aint visa slags.. I aint about to marry a man just to help my lifestyle.

I would want to continue my modeling whilst in the US, but would have a normal job too, anything from waitressing to working as a nanny I can do!

Jan 23 06 07:27 am Link

Model

Jaedyn

Lens N Light wrote:
Try www.legaladviceforfree.com
and welcome

Thanks luv.

Jan 23 06 07:27 am Link

Model

Jaedyn

Is it hard to get a place to live in NYC??

Jan 23 06 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Mark Leach

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom

I'd have a look here and be prepared for a challenge: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/index.html

Generally, it goes that in order to get a US visa that allows you to work you have to have skills that are in short supply or be able to do a job that no existing American citizen is capable of doing. It is also easier to do if being sponsored by an American employer and/or have a job waiting for you when you arrive.

I would say that with the kinds of jobs you mention and modelling they are unlikely to give you a  visa but good luck and if you manage it let me know how.

Jan 23 06 07:45 am Link

Model

Jaedyn

Thanks for the advice Mark.
I can do most jobs that are given to me, its just a case of finding a job and a place to live.
Would it be easier if I gave my aunties house as a place of residence to move to? She lives in California.

Jan 23 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Bodi

East Northport, New York, US

Jaedyn wrote:
Is it hard to get a place to live in NYC??

Its' not terribly hard to find somehere to live if you have the money to pay for it. NYC is expensive. You will more than likely have to find a roomate. It would proabably be a good idea to make a trip to NY to explore the city and see what its like before making a final decision to move here. You will have to have a nice amount of money saved up  at least 5 to 10 thousand dollars. This will give you a safe cushion if it takes you a while to find a job. Your UK accent will be an advantage looking for for work waitressing and or bartending. Bars restaraunts like to hire UK staff here and there because people find the accent charming etc... Private message me and I will send you the contact info of a few models who have moved here recently. You can pick their brains for info etc...

Stephen

Jan 23 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Mark Leach

Jaedyn wrote:
Thanks for the advice Mark.
I can do most jobs that are given to me, its just a case of finding a job and a place to live.
Would it be easier if I gave my aunties house as a place of residence to move to? She lives in California.

With regards to the job/visa situation, it can be a vicious circle. Most people won't offer a job unless you have the visa first and you often can't get a visa without a job.

The second part of that changes things though as the rules are different if you have relatives in-country already. I don't know the specifics as that has never been applicable to me.

Jan 23 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Jaedyn wrote:
Hey MM's..

Little advice would be greatly appreciated. Im wanting to move over to the states from the UK but Im not sure how to go about it.
Can anyone suggest what the first steps are??

Don't forget your toothbrush...and although New Jersey is in close proximity to New York...don't move there. That's about all the info you need! Oh, yeah, one other thing...Cinglular wireless has roll-over minutes.

Jan 23 06 08:16 am Link

Model

Jaedyn

lol thanks!
And thanks for your info Mark - and I love that shot of Kelle.

Its admittedly alot harder than I anticipated, but I will keep trecking on! I've always wanted to live in NYC, since I was a sprog so I cant give up!

Jan 23 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Mark Leach

Jaedyn wrote:
lol thanks!
And thanks for your info Mark - and I love that shot of Kelle.

Its admittedly alot harder than I anticipated, but I will keep trecking on! I've always wanted to live in NYC, since I was a sprog so I cant give up!

Me too, but unfortunately it's not a straightforward process and immigration is tightly controlled. Good luck anyway.

Jan 23 06 10:20 am Link

Model

Jaedyn

Mark Leach wrote:
Me too, but unfortunately it's not a straightforward process and immigration is tightly controlled. Good luck anyway.

Thanks again Mark, and keep up the great work, all your shots on Kelle's site and amazing.

Jan 23 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I hope to move to Northern/Central California smile

Jan 23 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Jaedyn wrote:

Oh dear oh dear! Which part?! You could live with her, get some modeling work, save up some money to move out on your own.

Jan 23 06 10:37 am Link

Model

Jaedyn

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Oh dear oh dear! Which part?! You could live with her, get some modeling work, save up some money to move out on your own.

She lives in La Mirada.. not sure whether thats North or South but I know its near Knotts Berry farm - wicked place btw..love it.

Jan 23 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Jaedyn wrote:

She lives in La Mirada.. not sure whether thats North or South but I know its near Knotts Berry farm - wicked place btw..love it.

Figures. Southern California. Over 400 miles South. But hey, it is still California. Closer to me than you are now lol

Jan 23 06 10:42 am Link

Model

Jaedyn

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Figures. Southern California. Over 400 miles South. But hey, it is still California. Closer to me than you are now lol

Well next time in the C.A I'll come seeya.. Promise.

Jan 23 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Jaedyn wrote:

Well next time in the C.A I'll come seeya.. Promise.

Yay!

Jan 23 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I hope to move to Northern/Central California smile

Do you need a visa for that............... or a pardon?

LOL

Studio36

Jan 23 06 10:55 am Link