Forums > General Industry > Fake/Mock Up magazine "covers"

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

Sometime back in the dawn of time, I recall using an early version of PS to mockup a cover of National Geographic, featuring a particularly unflattering shot of a buddy at a deer camp, with a headline that read something along the lines of "When a family tree has no branches...a look at genetics" or something to that effect.
It was passed around as the gag that it was, and since then I've seen similar things done a million and one times, at least.
But now I'm seeing models, and worse, photographers, with mock "covers" in their online portfolios. While I appreciate that some may be merely trying to scratch a graphic design itch, I question how many actually think that something like that belongs in portfolio? Frankly, I find it seems a little desperate and sophomoric....any other opinions?

Jan 21 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

This has been addressed a few times but...
I find it funny.  I've seen so many people on here with mocked up FHM and MAXIM covers that you'd think those two mags put out about 52 issues a year!   It doesn't bother me because it's much easier to just be amused and... the mocked up covers are pretty "sophomoric" and obvious anyway (which, as far as I'm concerned, is punishment enough for the culprit/poster!).

So... Don't let it annoy you, just do like I do;  fish around for the most absurd ones you can find and email the person congradulating them for shooting that Armani ad (even though they're in Iowa, the model has on an out fit straight from wal-mart and, just so happens to look like the shooter's cousin.)!

Jan 21 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Thats very common.
A while ago I worked at Time magazine for a few years doing a graphics job and it's easy for me to catch the
phony Time and Sports Illustrated covers.
I've seen "dozens" that are fakes;
there is also a web site that contains all the Sports Illustrated
covers, so it's easy to verify.

I guess many are ignorant and don't understand that while having
"Fun" placing the fake magazine online,
they're probably violating trademark and/or
copyright laws.
But even more amusing are the folks
that place an impressive list of credits,
yet offer no evidence to back up their claims.

Robert

Jan 21 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Carlton Primm

Dallas, Texas, US

Just to make sure I understand.  You're saying that you believe that they are trying to misrepresent their work and pretend it had  been used as cover art?

I just take it as trying to see a dream and maybe if you can see it, it will help you to make it happen.  When I was in college, my old roommate used to have a banner that hung over his bed saying "I AM a computer programmer".  I think he's a fry cook or something now, but you get the point.

Jan 21 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Carlton Primm wrote:
Just to make sure I understand.  You're saying that you believe that they are trying to misrepresent their work and pretend it had  been used as cover art?

I just take it as trying to see a dream and maybe if you can see it, it will help you to make it happen.  When I was in college, my old roommate used to have a banner that hung over his bed saying "I AM a computer programmer".  I think he's a fry cook or something now, but you get the point.

If a model looked at a magazine cover, on a portfolio hosting web-site, why would she think it is not legitimate ?
unless otherwise stated.

To present yourself as being published, in a national magazine no less, I think is very unethical and is part of the negative perception people have of photographers (especially online photographers).

I think your reasoning that they may be uploading fake covers to their own portfolios as way of expressing their "dreams" is very odd.

Robert

Jan 21 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Carlton Primm

Dallas, Texas, US

U240Robert wrote:

If a model looked at a magazine cover, on a portfolio hosting web-site, why would she think it is not legitimate ?
unless otherwise stated.

To present yourself as being published, in a national magazine no less, I think is very unethical and is part of the negative perception people have of photographers (especially online photographers).

I think your reasoning that they may be uploading fake covers to their own portfolios as way of expressing their "dreams" is pretty odd.

Robert

I'm just not entirely convinced that the covers are meant to fool anyone.  It's like the stuff you see in the mall.  You know it's not real.  Just for my own curiosity, if you know of any out there that look real enough to fool anyone, (privately) send me a link.  I'd be interested in seeing one.

Jan 21 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

[MODERATOR]Just a reminder, if you are displaying fake magazine covers on Model Mayhem you need to identify them as fake and they must have some twist in the logo to make it not a trademark violation.[/MODERATOR]

Jan 21 06 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

I've seen some spoofs (change a letter, or a color, or use a unique name) that were really funny and done very well.

I think it speaks volumes about the photographer who deliberately tries to fake a real magazine cover, or use a fake name that looks real. Whether he's (or she's) tring to fool themselves or their audience, they loose all credibility in my book. Same with bogus claims that are patently obvious. The "I've been an award winning photographer for over 80 years" kind of thing from a guy that has nothing but really bad snaps in his port.

Unfortunately, too many people can't seem to tell the difference.

Then there are those E-zines, but that's another whole subject. :-)

Hoot

Jan 21 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

U240Robert wrote:
But even more amusing are the folks
that place an impressive list of credits,
yet offer no evidence to back up their claims.

Have you asked them for back up?

I have a list of clients I am working with and for on my profile too, some I have the URL provided some not.

If someone wants to verify, he/she has just to email me and I provide the links, no questions asked.

Yet, I don't have not the impressive list, which I would say something like People Magazine (soon to come tho), NY Times, National Geographic, Time Magazine, Playboy, Sports Illustrated etc.

My credits are rather mundane, but all verifyable... if asked.

Jan 21 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Bluemoon Photography

Cranston, Rhode Island, US

For models, I admit, it's pretty cheesy. But when I shoot babies, I use a made up cover that I created. Cheesy or not, it sells alot of 8x12s

Jan 21 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

And those little flaps on coffee lids!! Gawd I hate those things!!!

Jan 21 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

UdoR wrote:
Have you asked them for back up?

I have a list of clients I am working with and for on my profile too, some I have the URL provided some not.

If someone wants to verify, he/she has just to email me and I provide the links, no questions asked.

Yet, I don't have not the impressive list, which I would say something like People Magazine (soon to come tho), NY Times, National Geographic, Time Magazine, Playboy, Sports Illustrated etc.

My credits are rather mundane, but all verifyable... if asked.

Well you bring up a good point.
To the models that I've heard from about
this subject, the typical response when they ask for "evidence" of the photographers claims is:
the photographer is not allowed to post the images.

The excuse is usually for legal reasons.
Obviously for some photographers
it's not possible to post all their published work,
or they may not feel like posting any of it.
But they should be able to offer
references of the work when asked, at least in most cases.

Robert

Jan 21 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

Carlton Primm wrote:

I suppose that depends..I have seen a few where the UPC code is included...I can't think of a valid artistic reason for tossing that in.

Jan 21 06 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

U240Robert wrote:

Well you bring up a good point.
To the models that I've heard from about
this subject, the typical response when they ask for "evidence" of the photographers claims is:
the photographer is not allowed to post the images.

The excuse is usually for legal reasons.
Obviously for some photographers
it's not possible to post all their published work,
or they may not feel like posting any of it.
But they should be able to offer
references of the work when asked, at least in most cases.

Robert

Well, yeah, that maybe true..., probably if you shoot as a staff photographer and there is some contractual thing going on... still... if a photographer claims to have work or worked for a publication... he/she should be somehow able to either verify, or if no verification, in any form can be provided... shouldn't even mention that one.

As a freelancer, I have agreements with my clients and always maintain the copyright to my images. I don't post my tears either, except this ONE that I have up, which includes two MM models and were published in the Arab newspaper Alhayat... and it's simply cool.

Oh..., because it's all in Arabic, and I don't know if I received photocredits for those, I posted the original images in the same order, uncropped next to the tear, simply to verify right there... because of those people who fake their spreads/covers.

But... I don't have those even on my website, and must really update my site, escpecially with my commercial stuff, editorials, tears and other cool work I did... it's pathetic how far behind I am.

But I am no webdesigner and use a template on the hosts server, which takes forever to load, edit and change... it's frustrating... LOL

Jan 21 06 09:48 pm Link