Forums > General Industry > portable power sources

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I have some tiny AC strobes that I'd love to take on location but I have no way to power them.  Does anyone know of any batteries with AC plugs or where I could get one?

Jan 21 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Synthesis|Photo

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, US

white lightning has a portable battery pack.  go to

http://www.white-lightning.com/battery.html

Jan 21 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

i have an idea for you...might not give you a whole lot of shots though.  Get a car battery and hook up an inverter to it.  the inverter has ac plugs.  The battery might be good for an hour or so.  Just be real careful about the battery..

Jan 21 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

I agree with the above I have used my inverter (from home depot $79.00)  for 2 years now  I get about 2 21.2 hrs start the engine for 15 mins  and go again, it has 4 outlets,  depends on how much your running on it, But I love mine...

Mac

Jan 21 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

thats  2  to 2 1/2 hrs  sorry for the typo

Jan 21 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

wolff wrote:
I agree with the above I have used my inverter (from home depot $79.00)  for 2 years now  I get about 2 21.2 hrs start the engine for 15 mins  and go again, it has 4 outlets,  depends on how much your running on it, But I love mine...

Mac

I am an electrical power engineer, who specializes in remote/emergency and portable power applications....

You should be careful about using the home depot et al cheap inverters-as they produce non sinewave AC power-and can destroy components in electronic devices such as strobes...yes they may work as noted, by they can wreak havoc as well (the wave form becomes full square at low DC input voltages)-it's a bit of a crap shoot.

Sinewave inverters are far more expensive-but will produce results identical to those found on normal AC power sources.

Jan 21 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

I bought 1 of these::

http://www.innovatronix.com/cgi-bin/pro … /index.asp

They seem to be pretty good & aren't too expensive...

Paul

Jan 21 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Jan 21 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

you can also rent a little honda generator, about 1 gallon of gas, runs for nearly 2 hours continuous 2000 watts of power, around $80/day

Jan 21 06 04:39 pm Link