Forums > Newbie Forum > First Photoshoot ever. Tips PLEASE

Photographer

Jon S Chen

Irvine, California, US

Hi, im new to all this photoshoot modeling thing. I had my first photoshoot today and i just want some tips on how i can improve. This picture is like nothing compared to the ones i see on the site but i hope one day it can be as good. Please leave tips and such.
THANK YOU

Jan 19 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Your backgound is too backlit for your subject. Need to open it up a stop or two, bracket your exposures, etc, until you arrive at what you really want.

Plus, it looks as if the background was artificially blurred in Photoshop.

Jan 19 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Yes the DOF Depth of field looks odd...try less PS...you can balance out the tonal difference in PS too...

Jan 19 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Well, I'm going to say that you're off to a pretty good start. What I'd suggest you do if you'd like to improve is take some classses (they can *really* help) and get a few books on photography and of course practice. With digital be aware of your color balance and blowing out highlights. But you're using shallow depths of field, which is a very good technique for isolating your subject, and you're trying differant things. And that tells me you're off to a good start. All you can do now is practice.

I know, not as informative as you'd like I'm sure. But at this point there's so much for you to learn that its hard to respond except in very general terms. If you post more specific questions I'm sure you'll get some very good answers here.

-P-

Also... if there's a camera club near you that may be a good place to start. And you'd have many people to ask questions of and see work.

Jan 20 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

very good for your first shoot. i'd say that you crop it a bit, there's just too much blank space on the left. but i see you're experimenting with some compositional techniques - which is very good. the artificial blur can be seen. if you were using a wide open lens, the left side of the bar would probably start to lose focus (but in the picture, it's still as sharp as the right side).  the pose is very relaxed - which is good. but it's not striking/interesting to the viewer. you need something that expresses some kind of mood. with a stronger facial expression and pose, the viewer will be left with more of an impression.

Jan 20 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Erica Spencer

Lansing, Michigan, US

I think you would be good @ lifestyle photography. Nice start!

Jan 21 06 08:09 pm Link