Forums > General Industry > "adult" at what age?

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

jac3950 wrote:
Interesting idea.... does that mean drop-outs are not entitled to the rights and privileges? One more reason to stay in school and graduate.

If I had a say, dropouts would not be considered adults.  High school is really hard for some people, for various reasons, bad family situation, etc... I realize that, but there are tons of alternative schools, tutoring, GED, and other programs to help people straighten up and graduate.  At least then you'd have to have earned your citizenship and the rights and privileges associated with it.  All the dropouts I knew in school (not saying it's universal, but it's a trend) were in trouble with the law, involved in drugs, etc... None of them dropped out of school, went out and got jobs, and supported themselves and/or their families.  Not saying that everyone who graduated was a fine, upstanding citizen, but there's a trend.

I think that using financial means to determine whether or not you are an adult isn't entirely fair.  My boyfriend and I are both professionals in our fields (he's a pilot, I'm a costume designer), and we don't make enough money to afford the high cost of living in the area in which we have to reside to keep up with our careers.  And many many people (especially young families) have to rely on credit cards to make ends meet.  I can't even imagine if we had to survive in the city on the money one makes working at Walgreens, etc.

Jan 22 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Whenever one feels they are ready for it, honestly. Like another said, you can't put a definition and a number on this. It's really based on maturity levels, more importantly mental maturity levels for most of those items and physical for a couple. People hit those points at different times in their lifetimes...

Jan 23 06 06:45 am Link