Forums > General Industry > How long is too long to wait for pictures?

Model

Kristin Flammio

New York, New York, US

It has been several MONTHS since i worked with a few people from MM who shall remain nameless. I have contacted them several times and it frustrates me that I spent valuable time working with them and never received photos.

How long is customary to wait before a harsh e-mail/phone call is necessary? I always feel terrible doing that because I don't want to cut ties with people, but at the same time, they haven't proved themselves worthy to work with again.

Jan 17 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Kristin Flammio wrote:
It has been several MONTHS since i worked with a few people from MM who shall remain nameless. I have contacted them several times and it frustrates me that I spent valuable time working with them and never received photos.

How long is customary to wait before a harsh e-mail/phone call is necessary? I always feel terrible doing that because I don't want to cut ties with people, but at the same time, they haven't proved themselves worthy to work with again.

Include a delivery date as part of your negotiation.  Then, it's up to you whether you give them a little slack if they are a little late.  If they are a lot late, I suggest putting them on your little black list.

I don't understand why more people don't check out references.  I'm sure you'd know what to say if someone asked you your opinion of any of these photographers.

Jan 17 06 01:10 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Sometimes you never get a CD at all....sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Jan 17 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

When were the images "due?" If they aren't meeting what they agreed to, and aren't "just a little late," then I'd have to seriously question them. But remember, if they're working, then freebies have to take a back seat. When I have classes running, anything like that gets pushed until afterwards - there's just not enough time in the day. (But if I were going to be busy for the next week or two, I would have communicated that at the time of the shoot.)

For models, I would recommend: If they told me a couple of days, I'd give 'em a week before I sent an inquiry. If someone told me a week, I'd give 'em 2 before I sent an inquiry. Sometimes we get caught up taking care of paying clients.

Wm

Jan 17 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

It's not clear whether you've been in continued communication with these people, or whether you've been waiting in silence since your shoot.  Here's my method:  stay in regular, positive and upbeat contact.  Just check in, see how they're doing, drop an email when I see something that makes me think of them, ask if there's anything I can do (like drop off the film) that might help since I know their schedule is very busy, etc.  I always presume that they have good intentions and that their time has gotten away from them.  (Because that's pretty much always the case.)

Ask if you can get a guesstimate on when they might be ready to give you the images, because you have X,Y, or Z planned around those shots, and want to be responsible in your planning.  See what response you get.

As long as I am kept updated on what's happening, I don't mind waiting.  My job ends when I leave the shoot.  The photographer still has to develop, cull, and post-process the images, which is a hell of a lot of work.  I go on the assumption that it will take a few weeks, particularly since I often work with professional photographers with actual paying gigs that get priority.  Then, if I get my images faster, I'm pleasantly surprised and happy!

Good luck.

Jan 17 06 01:29 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

This question has been asked before.

How long is too long to wait for prints/images
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=10997

Wait time on receiving images TFP..how long??
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=18641

How long....
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=7477

I am sure more times.

I think shly gave a great answer here.

Jan 17 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Professional photographers are used to delivering pictures on deadlines, so if you don't get your pictures quickly you can be sure that you've been dealing with an amateur.

You should get your pictures within a week.  After two weeks you've got something to worry about.  After a month you'll never see your pictures and you should write that photographer off as a bum. 

Don't be afraid to name the photographers who don't deliver on their promises.

Jan 17 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

DerekJason photography

Los Angeles, California, US

My turn around time is about 1-2 days I have heard this alot from many models that they don't get anything or it takes to long for them to get there pics from other photogs I can't tell you why some photogs take a long time I hope it gets better for the models.

Jan 17 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Svend Portraits

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Well...  this makes me feel like a slowpoke.  I generally take at least two weeks to deliver a CD.  I usually take around 200-300 photos during a shoot and then narrow the keepers down to 100-150.  Then, I painstakingly go through each photo and crop, tone, make multiple versions and try to perfect.  This takes time, and it's not like I have all day, every day.  I let the model know of course how long it will be before he/she can expect a CD, and that's the key: communication.  Months and months is definitely too long, especially if there has been no communication between you.

Jan 17 06 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

4 hours ---  one hour to run to the 1 hour photo lab, one hour to have them printed, one hour to run there and pick them up, and one hour to contact the model to come pick them up from you...

smile - couldn't help my self.   

But the real answer is after the contract states that you will have them then it's too long.  Oh, it wasn't in the contract?   Oops...

Jan 17 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

BCG offers "teaser" prints before you leave.

Jan 17 06 02:08 pm Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

I agree with what Shyly said.  As long as I know what's going on, taking a little extra time is okay.  What gets me is when I'm repeatedly promised and the promise is not delivered.  That is rude and unprofessional.  I have a photographer (from this site) that has repeatedly promised me cleaned up photo's.  Everytime I email him, i get an excuse, yet my photos are on his personal site AND he has the nerve to contact me about NEW projects.  Obviously if I am still waiting for pics from September, i won't be working with you again!

Jan 17 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

I pick the BEST shots from the shoot PERIOD........

TFP/TFI models can have up to 45 days or longer to wait on work, (fully completed) samples FOR ONLINE portfolio are sent to them in less than 2 weeks

I shoot such limited TFI now and these models are REPEAT models so they know they will wait a while to get their work, (and they KNOW who they are)
I have less than 10 models (nationwide)  that I shoot TFI with anymore, everyone else is a paying customer

I have a 1 week turn around for all PAYING clients

I say if your shooting with a extremely busy person as myself, any TFP/TFI is a blessing, but longer than 30/45 days is a long time, but well worth the wait for TOP QUALITY work that`s well, FREE!

Just my opinion.....but then what I do is`nt the average photography

Jan 17 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

WASH-HI PHOTO

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Unless the photographer communicates a problem.... 30 days after no response.  Just my opinion.  I always try to get my TFPCD's out within two weeks...and always send teasers on line when I do a few Adobe edits for commercial professional look.  Unfortunately, you cannot make a jerk do anything her doesn't want to.

Jan 17 06 03:07 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Hmmm.....there is only one photographer whom I have only received 2 small prints from and a few small jpgs to update my site.

There is another MM photographer whom I met from another site and its been 2.5 years and not even a jpg or print.

Talking about it and putting it in writing really doesn't help. And sometimes checking references does, but sometimes your experience is different than someone else's.

So, I chalk it up to: you win some and then you lose some. I just limit my TFP now is all to those I have worked with already.

Jan 17 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

Kristin Flammio

New York, New York, US

Thanks for all the replies. I have kept in regular contact and it hasn't worked so I guess I know better than to believe people I've never worked with.

I appreciate everyone's input. thanks guys.

Jan 17 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I would say it take 40,256 days to get images back sometimes. 2 Days??? Not from me, but like I said, it usually take me 20,128 days to get models their images, unless I get a paying job, in which case it will take me 10,064 days to deliver images.. By the time models get images from me, they have already forget they used to like like that. ;-)

Jan 17 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Michael Zuniga

Los Angeles, California, US

Nemi wrote:
Sometimes you never get a CD at all....sorry you had to learn the hard way.

It sucks, but yes that is true.
Sometimes a photographer will get either so bogged down in other projects, and does not want to release unretouched / incomplete work, or just says screw it all together and deleted the pics.

This sucks, but is a sort of part o paying dues. By no means do I men to discourage TFP/or TFCD as I do this as well, but there are a few exceptions where things just don’t work out. Consider doing TFP / TFCD as a go-see, or a test without any expectations. Forget all the model release crap, and the terms... etc... Trust me; working photogs for the most part could really care less about that paperwork.

If your shooting, and he wants you for his book. There is nothing that will stop your image from being used in that way.

Here’s an idea. Tell the photographer that you thought that he did such a great job that you are going to recommend him to several of your beautiful friends, and ask him how much he charges. Tell him that you’re just waiting for prints to come back, and that you don’t care if they are retouched or not, so long as you get something for your time. Let him know that once you’ve gotten some good shots even if its just 1, that you are going to be ready o send a slew of business his/her way.

I’ve seen it work, it works. Money always takes top priority.

Jan 17 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Too long for someone may be different for others. 

But alas I am guilty, I have just sent out 2 CD's for models that shot with me at the end of November.  I told them a month, it's took me 6 Weeks. 

But in my defense, I have been booked solid except for 4 days and wasn't able to get to my office to get to the files.

I'd say if the photog said 2 weeks, then 3 weeks is too long.  If he said 1 week, then 1 1/2 weeks is too long.

But that's just me.

Jan 17 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

This is why many models are starting to charge money, they are tired of being burned by dumbass people calling themselves photogs and even legit photogs who dont deliver ANY images TFCD as promised. The model did her job and then she does not get compensated, thats really bad business. A few models I have worked with have driven 4 hour round trips to learn this the hard way, this is why I encourage them to charge money for their services, especially if travel is involved. If they get burned by some lying jerkoff, at least they got paid for it.

Jan 17 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Jan 17 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Anything over 30 days is too long, but that's my opinion.

Jan 17 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Palm Springs, California, US

Monsante Bey wrote:
Anything over 30 days is too long, but that's my opinion.

I agree - even if you're developing some obscure film, it shouldn't take more than a week or two to process and get contact sheets at the very least. Unless you're out in the wilderness or something...

Jan 17 06 06:55 pm Link

Model

Alison Tiffany

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I feel your pain I did a shoot with a photographer at the end of September and I still have not receive my pics. This Photograph contacted me for a floral art project and I am nude in these pics and I don't even do nudes. I gave up on him and now I just hope he doesn't do anything with them. So all I can say is good luck, cause if it has been any longer then a month that is to long.
A week or two is what I normally wait unless they tell you before hand it will be longer. Tfp work comes with a lot of BS and you never know who your meeting on these sites.
~Alison~

Jan 17 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Alison Tiffany wrote:
I feel your pain I did a shoot with a photographer at the end of September and I still have not receive my pics. This Photograph contacted me for a floral art project and I am nude in these pics and I don't even do nudes. I gave up on him and now I just hope he doesn't do anything with them. So all I can say is good luck, cause if it has been any longer then a month that is to long.
A week or two is what I normally wait unless they tell you before hand it will be longer. Tfp work comes with a lot of BS and you never know who your meeting on these sites.
~Alison~

Go to his Studio and DEMAND what he promised you.  If he refuses, BEAT HIS ASS!

Jan 18 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Kristin Flammio wrote:
It has been several MONTHS since i worked with a few people from MM who shall remain nameless.

Why are you working with photographers who don't have names?.. wink.. JK

Now would be a great time to say "Hey, it's been wayyyyyy too long, either fork over a CD or check your name on http://www.theibl.com in a few days�

If nada in a few days, screw'em and list them on the above link.

Sorry you're gett'n the short end of the stick.

Jan 18 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I don't understand why more people don't check out references.  I'm sure you'd know what to say if someone asked you your opinion of any of these photographers.

References?  Do you think if some photographer never provided a model with the agreed upon CD/prints/whatever, that he'd ever provide his/her name as a reference?

Jan 20 06 02:42 am Link

Model

Ms Isadora VonPainne

Columbus, Ohio, US

Depending on the size of the photo shoot I would say no more than 2 weeks that you should receive samples and CD.

Jan 22 06 01:31 am Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If a photographer is going to commit to doing a creative, he better pony up some samples within a couple of weeks.  His time is no more precious than the model's or anyone else who participated in the shoot, so if he's not prepared to follow through on his part of the deal, drop him like a bad habit, and tell all your model friends about him.  You'll be doing everyone a favour.

Jan 22 06 01:46 am Link