Forums > General Industry > Photographers-Real or Fake?

Model

Temptation

Spring Grove, Illinois, US

When a photographer asks to do a test shoot to send the photos into editors of a few magazines, but when you finish the shoot then tells you that he isn't sending the photos in, is he for real or just a guy that wants a girl in his house?

Jan 17 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Temptation wrote:
When a photographer asks to do a test shoot to send the photos into editors of a few magazines, but when you finish the shoot then tells you that he isn't sending the photos in, is he for real or just a guy that wants a girl in his house?

He is a guy that tells lies. I hope you got paid.

Jan 17 06 12:46 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Temptation wrote:

First off...what guy doesn't want a girl in his house?

Second this happened to you? If it did...Damn.
Did you get his references first? See if he had commercial clients. Tearsheets?

Did he guarantee that he would send the pictures in? Even still, it's up to those people to determine whether the work is published or not. Maybe he just wasn't satisfied with the shoot, and that may mean you, him, or the BOTH of you need to step it up.

Jan 17 06 12:48 pm Link

Model

Temptation

Actually, he is not sending the photos in. Yes I agree with most people that I have some weight issues, maybe more than what people can actually see, but when we got finished the shoot he told me to come back when I lost weight and cleared up my face. Okay I understand that my weight could cause a problem, but he saw what I looked like before hand, yes I got $50 for driving up there but that was it. I got screwed huh.

Jan 17 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

He also could have realized after shooting that the pictures/model were not up to the standards of where ever he was planning on sending them, and thus it would simply be a waste of his time and damage to his/her reputation.

Jan 17 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Perez

Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, US

You should not cross post. One is enough for you to get attention.

Jan 17 06 01:00 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Temptation wrote:
Actually, he is not sending the photos in. Yes I agree with most people that I have some weight issues, maybe more than what people can actually see, but when we got finished the shoot he told me to come back when I lost weight and cleared up my face. Okay I understand that my weight could cause a problem, but he saw what I looked like before hand, yes I got $50 for driving up there but that was it. I got screwed huh.

Did you sign a release?

Jan 17 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

retphoto

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

Temptation wrote:

I don't see a weight issue(did look at your photos), maybe a bit of toning could be done. And what's wrong with a bit of makeup??? Dermabend is great stuff(wishes I always had it onhand)

not sure WHAT this particular photographer was looking for....

Jan 17 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Consider it to be a TFP with a GWC and move on... WTF?

Jan 17 06 01:06 pm Link

Model

Temptation

I don't know what to think and yes I signed a release form, that's what I don't get. His work is awesome. I think it was just me, I probably sucked. My avatar is one of his photos. I did like a couple of his photos, of course it's one's that my stomach didn't show. But I don't know what to think. The whole situation was weird, luckily I had my husband at the shoot with me. The photographer directed everything and I followed every order that he had. So if the photos were screwed up it was me that did it. I had make-up on and I tried my best.

Jan 17 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Temptation wrote:
I don't know what to think and yes I signed a release form, that's what I don't get. His work is awesome. I think it was just me, I probably sucked. My avatar is one of his photos. I did like a couple of his photos, of course it's one's that my stomach didn't show. But I don't know what to think. The whole situation was weird, luckily I had my husband at the shoot with me. The photographer directed everything and I followed every order that he had. So if the photos were screwed up it was me that did it. I had make-up on and I tried my best.

OK so now that it's settled...it's your fault and do better next time.

Jan 17 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

Temptation

Whats a GWC?

Jan 17 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

He could be completely legitimate.  We don't exactly have enough info, though.  It could have been a number of different things.  The most plausible reason to me has been mentioned previously: that he shot it with the intention of making a magazine submission and after seeing the results decided against it.  If that is the case, he could be doing the both of you a favor.  With that, you wouldn't be out of line to ask what the problems were and if the two of you could re-shoot to fix it.  Go from there.

Jan 17 06 01:19 pm Link

Model

Temptation

My solution is before I go back to loose weight first. Maybe he would be impressed with the results. Who knows?

Jan 17 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

A test shoot is just a test shoot.  It is like a job interview--sometimes things don't work out.  Only about one out of six model I test gets referred for additional work.  It's not that they suck, it's just that they aren't ready for professional work.

Sometimes test models do great work in front of the camera, but they make the biggest mistake of all--they are late to their shoot.  I can never recommend a model to a paying client if she is unreliable about promptness. 

Ask your photographer if there was something he didn't like about how the shoot went.  I am always upfront if my models ask me about their work, but I don't volunteer my viewpoints if they don't ask.  (By the way, sometimes the husband or boyfriend asks me how the model did.  I politely tell them that I NEVER discuss a model's work with anyone other than the model herself.)

Jan 17 06 01:30 pm Link

Model

Temptation

No, my husband is quiet when we go to shoots. The only time he ever talks is if the photographer talks to him, otherwise he stays out of the way. My avatar right now is one of the photos that was taken at the shoot. I mean of course I wouldn't see anything wrong with it, but is there anything wrong with it?

Jan 17 06 01:35 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Temptation wrote:
No, my husband is quiet when we go to shoots. The only time he ever talks is if the photographer talks to him, otherwise he stays out of the way. My avatar right now is one of the photos that was taken at the shoot. I mean of course I wouldn't see anything wrong with it, but is there anything wrong with it?

What kind of mag was he planning on sending your images to? I couldn't see your avatar in a magazine.

Honestly your whole port needs work, but as long as you're happy with the results I guess that's all the matters. However, here's what i think:

Hook up with some stylists, and makeup artists. Save some money to book a shoot with a professional. Some photographers don't allow boyfriends/husbands, whether or not your guy is the greatest person on earth. You may want to diet as well.

Changing the slightest thing- from your hair to shooting on location rather than a studio can make a difference.

Jan 17 06 02:07 pm Link