Forums > General Industry > Locations to shoot in Dallas

Photographer

Michael Palmer

Southampton, England, United Kingdom

I'm going to be in Dallas for just one day.  I'm looking for a location (or two) that i can use for a couple of shoots.  It'll mainly be swimwear, maybe lingerie if the location is right for it.

Any ideas?  I've only spent half a day in the city before and i wasnt on the look out for locations then.

Thanks all

Mike

Jan 17 06 04:57 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Michael Palmer wrote:
I'm going to be in Dallas for just one day.  I'm looking for a location (or two) that i can use for a couple of shoots.

Las Colinas is an interesting, somewhat-futuristic (although somewhat remote) location that may be conducive to contrasting an attractive human form against very clean, modern architectural lines and angles.

The added attraction of Las Colinas is that you have all these stern, sleek, airtight-looking office towers (and a monorail!) surrounded by acres and acres of prairie, so it looms as something that erupted straight out of the ground, or as if aliens dropped a complete city right in the middle of nowhere! smile  Several sci-fi movies have made use of Las Colinas for their exterior shots.

Fair Park is a beautiful, sprawling art deco location (built for the Texas Centennial Exposition in 1936), with plenty of space to set up interesting shots. Some parts of it look like a D.W. Griffith movie set, with monolithic temple-like structures and huge looming neo-classical statues.

At one point, an unfinished ramp meant to bridge the Trinity partially collapsed, creating a 'road to nowhere' effect. I don't know if that was ever repaired or cleaned up (this was back in the late '80s) but it really lent itself to a rather dramatic composition (it also has the added appeal of providing a nice  unobstructed view of downtown Dallas).

Hope that helps!

Jan 17 06 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Palmer

kickfight wrote:

Las Colinas is an interesting, somewhat-futuristic (although somewhat remote) location that may be conducive to contrasting an attractive human form against very clean, modern architectural lines and angles.

The added attraction of Las Colinas is that you have all these stern, sleek, airtight-looking office towers (and a monorail!) surrounded by acres and acres of prairie, so it looms as something that erupted straight out of the ground, or as if aliens dropped a complete city right in the middle of nowhere! smile  Several sci-fi movies have made use of Las Colinas for their exterior shots.

Fair Park is a beautiful, sprawling art deco location (built for the Texas Centennial Exposition in 1936), with plenty of space to set up interesting shots. Some parts of it look like a D.W. Griffith movie set, with monolithic temple-like structures and huge looming neo-classical statues.

At one point, an unfinished ramp meant to bridge the Trinity partially collapsed, creating a 'road to nowhere' effect. I don't know if that was ever repaired or cleaned up (this was back in the late '80s) but it really lent itself to a rather dramatic composition (it also has the added appeal of providing a nice  unobstructed view of downtown Dallas).

Hope that helps!

Thank you.  Has anyone tried shooting at this places before?  As always i'm concerned about turning up, shooting and getting hassled by the officials there.

Jan 18 06 04:59 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Michael Palmer wrote:
Thank you.  Has anyone tried shooting at this places before?  As always i'm concerned about turning up, shooting and getting hassled by the officials there.

I think it depends on the 'intrusiveness' of your set-up and the day/time. I was part of a shoot at Las Colinas that took place on a Sunday afternoon (when the place was all but deserted) and it was not a problem. A Tuesday morning would be a different thing, I suppose, since it is primarily an office park.

Fair Park (as a 24/7 public park) may be a little trickier, but Dallas is (or was, when I was there) pretty laid-back.

Jan 18 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Luna

Dallas, Texas, US

Las Colinas is in a business sector so they can be strict about shooting there. I tend to wait until the weekend to shoot at Las Colinas because typically it is vacant then. If you shoot during the weekday, during business hours, make it a light shoot. Dont take lights and powerpack,etc. Just you, your camera, maybe an assistant with a reflector and the model. Otherwise you may get hassled. Just speaking from personal experience.

Jan 18 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Michael Palmer

Sound advice there.  Thanks.  If i do end up in Dallas it'll be on a week day.

Thank you smile

Jan 18 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

Is Las Colinas where they shot Logan's Run??  That is a pretty crazy looking place... sort of 60's futuristic!  lol

Jan 19 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Palmer

Thomas Oed wrote:
Is Las Colinas where they shot Logan's Run??  That is a pretty crazy looking place... sort of 60's futuristic!  lol

Arhh Jenny Agutter topless.  Happy days!  :-)

Jan 20 06 02:27 am Link