Forums > General Industry > California v/ NYC

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I am seriously considering moving out to California. It's my understanding that it's more swimsuit, lingerie, commercial/lifestyle out there, and it's more fashion, editorial here. I've spoken with a few agencies out here and a few photographers that shoot for them, and they've all suggested that I have more of a look for the California market.

I'm wondering if anyone in my position (mostly lingerie etc) that lives in California (or anyone that can offer suggetions) could post about the type of work that is offered there, and the benefits to living there as opposed to the NYC area. Also, I'd like to know if there is a benefit to moving all the way across the country for that kind of work, even though there is some market for it where I'm currently situated.

I wouldn't be moving until the end of the year, but I'd like to get some opinions on the California side. Feel free to answer if you're a model, photog, stylist, etc.

Thanks for your help!

-D-

Jan 16 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

This looks like it has good potential for discussion of the differences in the industry, so I'll move it to General Mayhem.

BD, MM Moderator

Jan 16 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Go to California.  You have the height for New York, Milan and Paris but you have way too good a figure to sacrifice it to anorexia to make it in high fashion and runway.

And you DO look good in lingerie.  Tough market there as well in that world....

Jan 16 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

There is a lifestyle / commercial market in both NY and LA.
LA is a celebrity driven environment. The fashion industry is attempting to take hold there -- a natural as celebrities again drive much of the fashion industry.

The commercial market exists wherever advertising agencies are concentrated.

It is difficult to break into either NY or LA.

What agencies have told you to go to LA?

Jan 16 06 03:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

From what I have seen and heard, yes you would have a better shot in CA.
If you have the means and the passion, go for it!
Good luck!

Jan 16 06 03:25 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Tracey Masterson wrote:
From what I have seen and heard, yes you would have a better shot in CA.
If you have the means and the passion, go for it!
Good luck!

Cool-

Now when I go out there to visit- do you have any suggestions of where I should look?

Jan 17 06 08:31 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Dreams To Keep wrote:
Go to California.  You have the height for New York, Milan and Paris but you have way too good a figure to sacrifice it to anorexia to make it in high fashion and runway.

And you DO look good in lingerie.  Tough market there as well in that world....

I'd rather do the tough market in lingerie and swimsuit than in fashion...as much as I love fashion- I'll never have the frame for it- ya know? Thanks for the comments!

Jan 17 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Daniela V wrote:
It's my understanding that it's more swimsuit, lingerie, commercial/lifestyle out there, and it's more fashion, editorial here.

Bingo!

Although every publication in the world as tried to turn this around, it's factual that fashion is East Coast whereas swim wear is West Coast and lifestyle is everywhere.

It also goes with the outdoor vs. indoor photography.

You'll find a photo studio on every block of NY City and a perfect location on every block in LA.

You've got a perfect swimsuit body and a dynamic outdoor skin tone also good for fitness modeling.

Call me when you get to town wink

Jan 17 06 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I wonder if there are any photographers in the Los Angeles area interested in doing swimwear...

Jan 17 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

If you do decide on California please keep me posted. I have admired your look for a long time and would love working with you.

Jan 17 06 10:51 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
If you do decide on California please keep me posted. I have admired your look for a long time and would love working with you.

Thank you! I will do that. I have to figure out when I can visit this summer and where would be the best places to go look at. Any advice is helpful!

-D

Jan 17 06 10:58 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Thank you! I will do that. I have to figure out when I can visit this summer and where would be the best places to go look at. Any advice is helpful!

-D

Jan 17 06 10:59 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

-D

Jan 17 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Daniela V wrote:

-D

Well, I won`t advice on it but I will suggest,lol. Sacramento - AHEM-/San Francisco

Jan 17 06 11:08 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

bump

Jan 17 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Daniela V wrote:
Now when I go out there to visit- do you have any suggestions of where I should look?

Start with my links page. Websites of most of the top agencies in Los Angeles can be found there:
http://www.ericmuss-barnes.com/links.asp

Jan 17 06 02:49 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

Start with my links page. Websites of most of the top agencies in Los Angeles can be found there:

Cool thanks- any suggestions on where to visit- when to go- etc.?

Jan 17 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Daniela V wrote:

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

You mean suggestions of which agencies to visit and when?

No. They will all have different policies in that regard. Contact the agency and ask.

Jan 17 06 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

No snow.
Less hostile people.
No snow.
Clean beaches.
No snow.
Better variety of women.
No snow.
Potential to be discovered.
No snow.
Bikinis.

Did I mention no snow = year long shooting outdoors?

Jan 17 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Well, I won`t advice on it but I will suggest,lol. Sacramento - AHEM-/San Francisco

Naw, NoCal is a different world from SoCal... They are all insane up there!

Jan 17 06 07:55 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

I love NY but the only way I'd move there is if I fell madly in love with someone from there or grew a foot and on either note I don't see that happening so Cali is the only place for me haha
Northern Cali has tons of work for models, but I'd say it's more in the promotional aspect. I did get a lot of work. Advertising you'd want to be close to the City and believe me you'll have to get with an agency on that. Only jobs I received were through an agency for advertising.
Southern Cali rules. I love it down here (sorry GB. but a lot more work & it rained the whole time I was home for christmas break lol). California as a whole (N & S) has fantastic photographers that you could get any type of photos you need for your port.
Regardless north or south you HAVE TO put in the time and work to get the jobs. I'm with many agencies just to get as many jobs as I do. You have the height which is a benefit ( I lack), but I don't let that stop me. Plenty of options in print and tradeshows, working a variety of events that are steps up to more projects and long as you stay in good with those you work with. For shoots you can't beat Cali. Lakes, warm beaches, rocky coastlines, beautiful mountain areas and some  with waterfalls, snow (seasonal) and great city structures to use in photographs. It's great!
The ONLY thing I say sucks about southern Cali is the stingrays that are in the warm water when surfing. Suckers scare me LOL

Jan 18 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Daniela V wrote:

1 thing to keep in mind..

If you come to So. CA, it's like spring to summer all year round. Like today, for example, it was about 65º. Shoot, people from Minnesota will even go swimming in the ocean during the winter here...

So, if you hate the freezing cold, come here during the dead of winter to get away from it. If you like hot summer weather, it gets to about 110º +/- in August/Sept. If you go to the beaches on hot days, it's usually abot 20º's cooler...

I'd suggest LA for business, OC & SD for pleasure...  smile...

Paul

Jan 18 06 02:21 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Mikel Featherston wrote:

Naw, NoCal is a different world from SoCal... They are all insane up there!

I think you have to be insane to live in SoCal...that being said, don't plan on much work in NorCal unless you are into the SanFrancisco alternative scene.

Jan 18 06 02:35 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

Daniela V wrote:

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

You mean suggestions of which agencies to visit and when?

No. They will all have different policies in that regard. Contact the agency and ask.

No- I meant where to visit- like- cities etc. How long of a trip do you think I should plan. I see a lot of division between the north and south!

Jan 18 06 10:21 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

AshleyDanielle wrote:
I love NY but the only way I'd move there is if I fell madly in love with someone from there or grew a foot and on either note I don't see that happening so Cali is the only place for me haha
Northern Cali has tons of work for models, but I'd say it's more in the promotional aspect. I did get a lot of work. Advertising you'd want to be close to the City and believe me you'll have to get with an agency on that. Only jobs I received were through an agency for advertising.
Southern Cali rules. I love it down here (sorry GB. but a lot more work & it rained the whole time I was home for christmas break lol). California as a whole (N & S) has fantastic photographers that you could get any type of photos you need for your port.
Regardless north or south you HAVE TO put in the time and work to get the jobs. I'm with many agencies just to get as many jobs as I do. You have the height which is a benefit ( I lack), but I don't let that stop me. Plenty of options in print and tradeshows, working a variety of events that are steps up to more projects and long as you stay in good with those you work with. For shoots you can't beat Cali. Lakes, warm beaches, rocky coastlines, beautiful mountain areas and some  with waterfalls, snow (seasonal) and great city structures to use in photographs. It's great!
The ONLY thing I say sucks about southern Cali is the stingrays that are in the warm water when surfing. Suckers scare me LOL

Wow- Thanks so much for the long response! It's nice to hear that there are so many options in tradeshows since that makes for a flexible schedule, but still gives you money so you can actually eat. Out here, there aren't a lot of opps. for that kind of work- promo comes and goes as well.

I defintely like the weather aspect- I LOVE LOVE LOVE the heat- if it was 90 all year round I would be happy- and I have so many friends out there that say it's sunny and since moving from NJ they have much better attitudes because it doesn't snow and get cold like it does here.

-D-

Jan 18 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Ama Lea

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I'm moving to Cali for the same reasons pretty much. Most of the models on the east coast aren't quite what I'm looking for.

Jan 18 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Daniela V wrote:
No- I meant where to visit- like- cities etc. How long of a trip do you think I should plan. I see a lot of division between the north and south!

How long of a visit? Have you ever been here before?

If you've never been here, it's really overwhemling. Plan a good week at least to visit. If you are divided between north and south - go north to SF. I don't need anymore traffic in LA. (smirk)

Jan 18 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:

I think you have to be insane to live in SoCal...

Ya know... I can't argue against that point. wink

Jan 18 06 02:19 pm Link