Forums > General Industry > intimidation

Makeup Artist

Naomi

New York, New York, US

Theda- intimidated????
Should I break out my skis as hell froze over???

I don't ask a lot of photographers about my modelling as I am intimidated becasue of my age and height. However, I have no shame when it comes to my MUA work!

Jun 07 05 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by Boyd Hambleton: 
Theda is out of my league but I have to try :G

She is out of all our leagues... I expect Theda being shot only by David Lachapelle, Annie Leibovitz, Udo R... oh... that's me... LOL

lol

Jun 07 05 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I'm not afraid to approach anyone, but everyone does have a different way they need to be approached.

Just make sure you are ready to approach them.

Jun 07 05 01:07 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Since the worst thing someone can do is say no, I'm not intimidated anymore.  I was at first.  Then I realized that most of the time if a photographer isn't interested, they just never write back.  Given how entirely not painful that is, I am now fearless.  I figure most won't be interested, and I'm always tickled by the range in style and the pretty universally exceptional calibre of people who are.

Makes for exceptionally diverse and fun shoots.

Jun 07 05 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by theda: 
I have a question (I do! I do!).

When viewing someone's portfolio/profile, do you ever refrain from contacting them simply because you think they are out of your league? Do you ever look at someone's work and think "no way they'd shoot with me"? Or do you just contact them anyway, because nothing ventured nothing gained?

The only models I won't reach out to are the ones who say "paid shoots only" in their profiles.  After looking at some of their pictures, if it weren't for the fact that I don't want to be rude, I'd write to some of them and say "you MUST be kidding!"  LOL   

Jun 07 05 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by Lady Atropos: 
Im that way with photographers, I try - but on average I get an upturned nose sad

Upturned nose?  I'd gladly do a shoot with you.

Jun 07 05 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Herb Way: 

Posted by theda: 

When viewing someone's portfolio/profile, do you ever refrain from contacting them simply because you think they are out of your league? Do you ever look at someone's work and think "no way they'd shoot with me"? Or do you just contact them anyway, because nothing ventured nothing gained?

The only models I won't reach out to are the ones who say "paid shoots only" in their profiles.  After looking at some of their pictures, if it weren't for the fact that I don't want to be rude, I'd write to some of them and say "you MUST be kidding!"  LOL   

I love everybody into art,but when their only intrest is money..well thats just not mee..especially when they have no good Pics!!
I actually shoot trees,animals,sunsets,bugs,cars,even shot the moon and none of them asked for pay and they did not pay me!!
I just dont get it??

Butt outa my league im ina leauge of my own!!

Jun 07 05 05:55 pm Link

Model

Lindsay Jolly

Toronto, Iowa, US

Yes - there are times when I know based on either just a portfolio or other models experiences that it would cost me an arm and a leg to shoot with them - I usually don't bother since I would rather shoot with people who want to work with me as well. But then again I can understand anyone saying no to anyone else because there are many times when I just cannot do another shoot and I have to limit myself to only paid shoots or those that really go the extra mile.

Jun 08 05 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

If I have something that I think they would be interested in, I contact them... other than that I choose not to waste their time.

Jun 09 05 02:05 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Naomi: 

I don't ask a lot of photographers about my modelling as I am intimidated becasue of my age and height. However, I have no shame when it comes to my MUA work!

Jun 09 05 04:12 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Naomi: 

Naomi...aren't you a featured model on omp? I wouldn't be intimidated by photographers...in fact, they are probably intimidated by you. You have a great portfolio, and a striking personality, from what I can tell. You deserve to be confident.

Jun 09 05 04:14 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Israel Colon: 
There is no one on this planet above anyone Theda.......all is fair in love, war, and the internet modeling business.  As far as I see it.....if some model does not want to shoot with me.....it's their loss not mine.....I don't get intimidated by anyone.

All is fair in love/war/internet modelling...but I don't imagine very many models turn down the opportunity to shoot with you. I know I sure wouldn't.

Jun 09 05 04:16 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

And finally, to triple post, I have been thinking about writing a thread about all the models who have inspired me over the last year, with poses, artistic sensibility and overall intelligence. Theda and Reese are both on that list. Stay tuned for more accolades after I wake up. g'night everyone.

Jun 09 05 04:18 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Lapis: 
And finally, to triple post, I have been thinking about writing a thread about all the models who have inspired me over the last year, with poses, artistic sensibility and overall intelligence. Theda and Reese are both on that list. Stay tuned for more accolades after I wake up. g'night everyone.

You love me and you know it.

Jun 09 05 05:21 pm Link

Model

MULIKA

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Duck Photography: 
Not so much the problem of out of my leauge, more of an out of my country kinda problem.

Same problem here! Really irks me sometimes.

Jun 10 05 06:35 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

I contact them- the worst they can do is decline or not answer. Either way, it doesn't affect my day negatively. Better to try, in my book.

A lot of that comes from an audition heavy background though, I think.

Jun 10 05 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I'll step to anyone.
And if I can't win, at least I've got my favorite fallback phrase...
"Guy, whatever..." (wiping blood from my nose), "I've had my ass kicked by guys WAY tougher than you."

Same goes here.

Jun 10 05 09:29 pm Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

generally speaking no,the way I look at it the worst they can do is say no.that and noone has said no to Me.*lol*
besides you don't know if you don't ask.
but there was one model on here I very much wish to work with, us modeling together when I hit her state and I didn't dare approach her.but she actually approached Me so it all worked out.
xxx
MP

Posted by theda: 

Jun 10 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

It depends.

If they are asking for like 4 8x10 prints, plus a copy of the prints, in addition to whatever their rates are, yeah, I'd say that's intimidating enough for me not to bother.

Most others, I'll at least make the attempt. I"m more than happy to have them go tell me to f*** off.

Matthew

Jun 15 05 08:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Lapis: 

You love me and you know it.

Damn... he named you first... Man, I am never first...  What a rip... 

Jun 16 05 04:21 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am a she. but other than that, I can mention you first in future tirades about great women.

Jun 17 05 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

"I love everybody into art,but when their only intrest is money..well thats just not mee..especially when they have no good Pics!!
I actually shoot trees,animals,sunsets,bugs,cars,even shot the moon and none of them asked for pay and they did not pay me!!
I just dont get it??

Butt outa my league im ina leauge of my own!!"

The trees, animals, etc., do pay you by just being there as part of your experience of beauty in life.

Jun 19 05 01:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

Laurie Eusebio

Whittier, Alaska, US

Posted by theda: 

I did makeup on someone that I was intimidated by one time. He was the big shot of this ad agency and also my husband's boss, i.e. "I'd better not f*ck it up" was running thru my mind the whole time. The makeup turned out great regardless, and I was called upon again to work with him. I just have to tell my self that they can not read my mind!!! They can't!!

Jun 21 05 08:11 pm Link