Forums > General Industry > Male model hair length

Model

Aaron Abel

Manhattan, Kansas, US

Im new to the industry and was curious as to what the proper hair length that most male models have that makes them most versatile and appealing to most audiences, wether it be long flowing, medium length to the eyes, short-clean cut etc.   Just would like to hear what most find to be the norm and most benifitial over all to the model for effectivness.

Jan 16 06 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Great question,  asked well.
First is there really  a Manhattan,  Kansas?   
You have almost the height.  Chest is good but waist is big.

Your look is interesting if the same person.  One shoot you look tough and the other shots like a person that would be picked on in Junior High School.
That is cool.  Various looks is good.   Hair length depends on how you wish to market yourself.

Trute is I think your best chance is commercial modeling.  You do not have the look for a male fashion model.  Could happen but I doubt it.   So most commercial modeling calls for looks that range,  a great cut from someone who knows what they are doing is called for.
A hair cut that could appear long or short depending on the need.   Go to a good hairstylist that knows their poop.
This cut was big in the late 80's and 90's.   Something good for the office but cool for the clubs.
But not sure for what do I know?

Pay me now.

Jan 16 06 01:29 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

the dog could not have said it better, there will be times when a job will require short hair and then jobs that will require longer hair.

Jan 16 06 01:35 am Link

Model

ahmed87

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

always changing...i usually just look at the styles in magz or models signed with the good agencies... by my research, i found it med. length, upto about eyes or so..
but yeah thats for fashoin..

Jan 16 06 03:58 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Well, I have not decided what to do with mine for the modeling biz.  I asked a similar question a while back and had a lot of great feedback ranging from growing it longer to getting a buzz-cut.  I think in general, the 80/20 rule applies here.  What you see in the popular rags is what most of the market is buying.  If you choose to do something unique then you are in a smaller niche market (but then you also have less competition).  A good stylist can look at the geometry of your face and recommend the best mainstream haircut for you.

Jan 16 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Jack D Trute wrote:
Great question,  asked well.
First is there really  a Manhattan,  Kansas?

lol, yes, there really is a Manhattan, Ks. Nice little city, too.

Jan 16 06 01:40 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

I agree this cut needs to go NOW!!! way too much 80's . Find some Good Hairstylist to give you an up to date cut and tip him well on your way out because this will do you much good for your modeling career smile

Jan 16 06 01:41 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

i'm not sure the lenght of the hair on your head matters so much, as long as you can't braid the hair on your ass.

Jan 16 06 01:59 pm Link

Model

Aaron Abel

Manhattan, Kansas, US

The four photos that "would get me beat up in junior high" are old i had to put something up till my current photos are developed the current hair style i have is that of my profile main picture ....i should be getting new photos rather soon but wanted to get started on site while photos are being developed

Jan 16 06 02:04 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Aaron since your other images aren't posted I can only tell you this.  From what you have here yes, your hair is too short. More like to kiddish.  Great if your cheating your age but there isn't anything apealing about your look if you want to move into a wider market range.  Your hair needs to look unkept, a bit scruffy.  Makes it easier to work with and offers more options.  However without seeing your hair it is harder to suggest things.  For now grow some facial hair.  Nothing over done.  A few days growth, some side burns would be nice! Find a hair dresser with at least 8 years experience.  They tend to listen a bit more and understand the need for your look to be versitile.  Price point should be somewhere around $25 to $35.  If this sounds high remember, a good hair cut can be worn at least 3 different ways and last around six weeks or so.  And your getting away cheap!  Women's cuts tend to be much more.  Finally get a good shampoo.  This way you can skip the conditioner.  Why beat the hair up in cleansing only to condition it back!  Take pictures of styles you like and ones you don't.  One last thing.  If you find someone you like, stay with them.  Tip them what you can afford and be loyal.   It will come back to you in the long run.  R-

Jan 17 06 10:59 pm Link

Model

Aaron Abel

Manhattan, Kansas, US

BUMP

Jan 21 06 12:30 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

MEWanoDesigns wrote:

lol, yes, there really is a Manhattan, Ks. Nice little city, too.

My RA at school is from manhattan KS. I didn't belive such a place existed.

Jan 21 06 12:38 am Link

Model

Aaron Abel

Manhattan, Kansas, US

pretty boring place

Jan 21 06 12:42 am Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

I tend to keep my hair about medium length, maybe even a little longer.  For a neater look I can slick it down or for a something a bit more unkept it can be messed-up.

I have had to cut my hair for certain project before (like circa '40s) so that is something you need to be prepared to deal with.

Jan 21 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Bob4friends

Marietta, Georgia, US

Nemi wrote:

My RA at school is from manhattan KS. I didn't belive such a place existed.

VERY boring place. Was stationed at Ft. Riley my last year in the army, but it beats the hell out of Junction City.....haven't been back & never plan to !

Jan 21 06 09:11 am Link

Model

Chu

I say it depends on what you are looking for.  Many times scouts and agencies are looking for people simular to what they have, but have something special that makes them really stand out so that you wow people to there product. 

I've seen successful long and short hair, anyone know of Fabio?

Jan 21 06 06:12 pm Link