Forums > General Industry > Another MUA rant

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

OK, so here is the deal. I was contacted by a very reputable MUA looking to expand his bodypainting portfolio. Cool, I set up four models a second MUA and spent $100 in downtown LA on accessories and fabric for the shoot. It was set up for the 22nd of this month.

Now I make at most $400 in a week, usually more like $300 but lets round up, so this is roughly 25% of my weekly earnings or 1/16th of my monthly earning. In other words, it is a lot of money to me. The other MUA has taken time out of her schedule to do this TFP shoot.

I get a one line message on MM, I am unable to shoot this month.

THIS IS WHY WE RANT. and rave. and foam at the mouth. Now I can find another MUA who wants to do bodypainting, which is hard, for TFCD, which is impossible.

The first person to flake is always the MUA. This wasn't just me but an entire crew counting on you. Two people are driving an hour and a half to be here. Models have turned down paying work for this.

So, what can I do but post a note on Craigslist and hope for the best. There is nothing else that can be done. Nothing. People flake.

The person who flaked makes more money in a month than I do. I want you to understand how it is for most photographers when you flake. So, a photographer you would love to work with contacts you about doing a TFP.

They want a bollywood type shoot, bindis the whole nine yards and have heard that you have the ability to do this. Now they are very busy and would need you to find some models, which is no problem cause these images are really something you want at this particular time.

You go to downtown LA and spend about 5 hours looking for the perfect items. You get make-up and hair supplies specifically for the shoot. You get home and the photographer has left you a one sentance message. Can't shoot this month.

You are out $100. How would you feel?

Star

Jan 15 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Star wrote:
So, what can I do but post a note on Craigslist and hope for the best.

Start here:
https://modelmayhem.com/new_thread.php?forum_id=5

Continue here:
https://modelmayhem.com/browse.php?b_gr … ity&area=1

Or vice versa.

Jan 15 06 10:22 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

That totally sucks. When was the shoot to be and what was the theme, if I'll be in the area, or no anyone I'll pass the message along. (long shot, but hey, I'll do what I can)

Jan 15 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Star,

I do feel your pain and I am not being flipent about it.

The solution is to do it yourself.   Time to start to learn makeup.   Even if you just get one shot done,  give it a shot.   What is the worst thing that could happen?   

I did the body painting myself on the three images in my port that have it.

In the past testing photographers or models would do their own makeup on shoots.   Especially if it was not a BIG job for a top magazine.

I strongely believe that as things change this will happen again.   Another is that models will take more of their own shots.   Especially the simple ones.

Email me if you want hints and ideas of what you can accomplish with limited skills and funds.

I do respect makeup artists very much for it does take a large amount of time,  investment of money(a have a decent kit of makeup myself so I know.),  and allows you to set up equipment while the model is made ready.

Start small but the skill to be able to do makeup just in case is a valuble one,  more so as the industry changes.

A friend,  David Sorrenti,  a NY city fashion photographer used to do his own makeup on models for he did not want it overdone as it is done often.   He would even do it himself with models for editorial magazine shoots.   Granted he was working with some beautiful models who did not need much.

Many times you are just practicing without a makeup artist but many times you are doing worse with a bad one,  one who demands too much,  or one that leaves you hanging.

You are female so one leg up,  if you paint already then some of the skills needed are already there.

Todays technologies allow you to fix things in photoshop if things go wrong.   You should not plan on it or rely on it but that option is there.   If it is not perfect then you can fix it.

This is why I will be continuing to learn and improve my makeup skills.

Jan 15 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have to add to this rant.

I set up a shoot in Feb and had MUA's and wardrobe stating they wanted to work with me, but when it's time to make a commitment, they can't even be bothered to answer their email or a phone call. They have read them - thanks mayhem for that feature.

The two models that canceled is not such a big deal as I found replacements without much problem.

So the search goes on for a MUA...

Jan 15 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Star

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
That totally sucks. When was the shoot to be and what was the theme, if I'll be in the area, or no anyone I'll pass the message along. (long shot, but hey, I'll do what I can)

It was set for next Sunday, all the way out in freakin Pomona (I live there but I still know it sucks.) It has Miya, Mather, Amanda, and Mary Moscow in it. If you know of anyone give them my information,

Star

[email protected]

Jan 15 06 10:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

this is why I don't test.   It's a good idea to get an artist that is well connected enough to assure you a back up if he or she can't make it.  That plenty of time for any artist to find a back up.  The problem would be the body painting, most artists dont do it, nor do they care to learn.

Jan 15 06 11:22 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Mua's are in short supply in Nor Cal as well.
Did a shoot last night and she flaked on a paid shoot.
I'd try to work with several and if you like them keep the numbers handy then you will have a few to call when a new one bails on you.

Jan 15 06 11:42 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I am sitting here going, what in the world?  Where are you all at?  Cause if your in south Florida call me.  How old are these makeup artists?  Don't they have bills to pay?  It has taken me years to build a reputation and repore with photographers in my area.  I have a couple of models that will try and get me booked whenever possiable on their jobs.  I was called for a job this Wed that I couldn't do and the photographer said he was going to call the client and tell them sorry, but we have to shoot Thurs cause that's the only day the hair and makeup artist is availible. And why did you pay for the supplies?  Keep track of who you can count on and use them as much as possiable.  If someone new wants to work with you then ask them for references and check them out.  The more I think about this the more pissed I get.  The unprofessionalism in the business is ridiculous.  There are days I think, man I need to hunt up some work.  Then what happends is everyone wants you the same day.  You all need to find hair dressers that do makeup.  We seem to understand the value of keeping appointments.  And I know this sounds crazy but I have lost jobs to girls only because of the way they looked.  So maybe  next time think with your um other head. Please know I am not speaking for all MUA. God I'll get shot for sure.  And one last thing.  Maybe you all need to tell the MUA contacting you for work that due to past experience, if they cancele or pull a no show, you'll send them a bill for everyone's time and place postings on whatever site you deem fit.  R-

Jan 15 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Long story short, very few people on this planet care how much the "other party" is spending on a project.  To the MUA, what you spent is completely irrelevant.  In the MUA's mind, you wouldn't have spent money you weren't willing to lose.

Of course, turn the situation around.  If you had flaked on the MUA, he/she would probably be here ranting.

A lot of people assume that TFP means that a shoot doesn't cost anything.  It's an old argument around here.  Photographers complain about the cost of setup/equipment/editing and how models don't understand.  Models complain about not getting images, etc.  *snap*  Can you hear that?  It's another dozen or so commitments being broken on MM. 

Want an assumption or two?  Full body painting - even for a beginner - is a lot to ask for on a TFP basis.  Even mediocre body painters are going to balk at working for free.  Maybe he/she didn't feel up to the task?

Ultimately, we're all selfish in one way or another.  smile  How do I avoid scenarios like this one?  I try to do as much on my own as humanly possible.  I limit the occasions where I have to count on someone else.  Then again, that might be a flaw in some situations.

Jan 15 06 11:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

SO, the makeup artist can't make it this month.  For a tfp.  Because the makeup artist is making more money than you.  Because they have a paying gig.
Sorry, but you should understand that it was nothing personal.  I have had photographers book me for paid assignments and back out a couple of hours before the shoot.  It happens.  The photographer had something else that needed to be shot.

Jan 16 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

If you are putting time into a big production then you should fork out the cash for a Makeup artist. I pay my make-up artist everytime!  Using a new Makeup artists based on TFP would make me very nervous since most of my shoots are for pay and must be perfect..

Jan 16 06 03:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

And it shows, Viva.  You are a serious artist and your work rocks.  This is what elevates one to a status of professional.  You have worked with some great artists.
Viva la Viva!

Jan 16 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

Tracey Masterson wrote:
And it shows, Viva.  You are a serious artist and your work rocks.  This is what elevates one to a status of professional.  You have worked with some great artists.
Viva la Viva!

Muchas gracias!!

Jan 16 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

grsphoto

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Star wrote:

How would you feel?

Star

A weeks notice.  The goods you purchased are no going to spoil.  I would be pissed for about 30 seconds then get on with it.

grs

Jan 16 06 03:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ray Filipowicz

Star, first of all you contacted me about collaboration, I did not contact you.
I am an extremely busy artist and sometimes I just CAN'T commit to unpaid shoot (it happens), which I told you giving you a notice, I didn't say I won't do the shoot, I said I'm unable to do it in January.
Now, I see you got very upset, I sent you an email and I will try move things around and shoot on the date we talked in the beginning. I wish you'd talk to me instead of telling stories all around....
I think I already regret being a part of this site

PS how do you know how much money do I make a month, lol?

Ray

Jan 16 06 07:36 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

oops!

Jan 17 06 10:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Leanne Sims

El Cerrito, California, US

Ray I don't know all the details of your relationship with Star and this rant doesn't apply directly to your situation.

FLAKES OF ANY SORT ARE ANNOYING---models, photographers, stylists, and makeup artists.

How can anyone call themselves a "professional" when their actions are anything but professional.

As a person who has never flaked on a job in the 7 years I have been in the industry, I don't understand how anyone can behave so irresponsibly.  I have been flaked on by models and photographers and other makeup artists.

It doesn't matter if the shoot is TFP or paid. It is your reputation you are selling and word travels fast.

Just a little Advice:

Things happen. Emergencies, accidents, illnesses. Who hasn't had to cancel something because they had the flu or a family emergency?

IF you need to cancel a shoot for whatever reason, you need to call all the parties involved on the phone immediately!  Don't be impersonal by sending the message through email. Not everyone checks their email daily. The sooner you contact them the better. Don't call the night before or the day of the shoot if you can help it. I also strongly reccomend finding a trusted person to fill in.

I once had someone call me on my cell phone at midnight the night before a shoot to cancel on me.  Another time, the person didn't show up at all and didn't call to apologize until a week later. And she was from an established agency!

Jan 17 06 11:51 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

I do not think star..Outed the person who could not do the shoot.

This person choose to respond.  99% of us would never have known.

Jan 18 06 01:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ray Filipowicz

good luck to you all, seriously

Jan 18 06 03:27 am Link