Forums > General Industry > An intelligent article on Model Releases

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

A lot of chest beathing takes place around here on when a model release is and is not required.  I saw an article today which I found to be one of the clearest discussions I have run into.  It was not written by a lawyer, it was written by an author that specializes in research.  Quite frankly, I don't think it matters since there are those here who will disagree with what is being written.  In any case, I thought I would post a link because I found it to be a good, accurate presentation of the issues.  Do with it what you will and I soon expect to be beaten up on the issue.

http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html#1

Jan 15 06 04:02 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Interesting site. smile  At leat it should make people think, which is always a beneficial thing.

Jan 15 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Dan Heller takes the CYA approach, which I agree with.

Jan 15 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

William Kious wrote:
Dan Heller takes the CYA approach, which I agree with.

I happen to agree with his approach as well.  There are many here on the forums that do not.  I didn't post it though to prove a point or establish the truth, I posted it because it was articulate and readable.

So much of what I read online includes combinations of truth, myth and misinformation all wrapped up in the guise of infallable knowledge.  One thing Heller makes clear is that there is a lot of misinformation and that some things are subject to interpretation.

He also advocates a concept that I have long endorsed.  The law, and particularly this law, is made up of a lot of grey areas.  When one recognizes that there are often no clear answers to so many of these questions, one can set practices based on the level of risk he wants to take.

Obviously, the most conservative approach is the safest approach.  On the other hand, one can be overly cautious so it is all a question of balance.

In the end though, a proper release eliminates the need to speculate about any of these things.

Thanks for the good comments.

Jan 15 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I had some idiot tell me I needed a property release to sell photos. I just looked at him like he was what he was.

Jan 15 06 06:09 pm Link

Model

Lenora Jayne

New York, New York, US

Thanks for posting that link, it was a very interesting and well-written piece.

Jan 15 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Monsante Bey wrote:
I had some idiot tell me I needed a property release to sell photos. I just looked at him like he was what he was.

Actually, you do need a property release if you take a photo of a single clearly identified building, and want to use it for commercial use. However, you do not need a property release if you take a photo of a group of buildings, a neighborhood, or a city skyline. It is only relevant if it is a single building by itself.

You also need to worry about trademark violation if you take a photo of a Macy's storefront, for example, and use it for commercial use. Again, this is only relevant for a photo of a single storefront, not a whole block of storefronts.

Jan 16 06 11:51 pm Link