Forums > Newbie Forum > unicorn farts

Photographer

BOBBY WILKINS

Spokane, Washington, US

so i just started taking pictures about 6 months ago...and i was wondering when and if i should start charging models?
how do i know when to start charging?

Feb 03 08 01:48 am Link

Photographer

BOBBY WILKINS

Spokane, Washington, US

ALSO, ive just realized that almost all of my photos are REALLY BUSY....is that a bad thing?
lol

Feb 03 08 01:50 am Link

Model

Tiffany Wei Ling

Santa Cruz, California, US

heeeey... i came here for the unicorn farts!

Feb 03 08 01:54 am Link

Model

Elle

Marshfield, Wisconsin, US

i really like the title of your thread. you are now on the official kick ass list tongue

Feb 03 08 01:57 am Link

Photographer

BOBBY WILKINS

Spokane, Washington, US

Tiffany Wei Ling wrote:

HAHA.
yeah.
sorry.
im the only unicorn fart in here:)

Model

Daniela Kenzie

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Tiffany Wei Ling wrote:

Same here.

Basically, charge for projects or looks you dont feel will add to your port. If there is a demand, the money will follow.

I'm not a photographer, so i cannot answer the second question :-)

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

you crack me up man...you have a great gallery and all and you'll probably be famous but still...

Feb 03 08 02:02 am Link

Photographer

BOBBY WILKINS

Spokane, Washington, US

Koray wrote:
you crack me up man...you have a great gallery and all and you'll probably be famous but still...

haha i wont be famous unless i find my own style....which seems impossible at the moment!
but thanks:)

Feb 03 08 02:05 am Link

Photographer

BOBBY WILKINS

Spokane, Washington, US

Daniela Kenzie wrote:

Same here.

Basically, charge for projects or looks you dont feel will add to your port. If there is a demand, the money will follow.

I'm not a photographer, so i cannot answer the second question :-)

sounds easy enough...thank you

Feb 03 08 02:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lauren Warner

San Francisco, California, US

I like your work. I like it very much. You're good. You ask can you charge models yet?
Well, you are an art photographer. You are making art. The only market for art is gallery and such. It's not photography that is in any way commercial, so basically NO. Clients for some sort of commercial purpose (ads , websites, magazines, fashion etc.) are who are going to pay you and then you pay the model with your budget. If you can do portfolio worthy pics for a commercial, marketable model then, yes you could charge the model.

Feb 03 08 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Keith Buckley

Portland, Oregon, US

Tiffany Wei Ling wrote:

I hear the sparkle!

Feb 03 08 02:20 am Link

Model

Tiffany Wei Ling

Santa Cruz, California, US

as a model looking out for other models..
don't ever charge, so we can always have a talented photographer out there like you who can shoot for free! :-)

-evil laugh

Feb 03 08 02:20 am Link

Model

Leia1977

Tacoma, Washington, US

lol, well you also grabbed my attention

Feb 03 08 02:24 am Link

Photographer

BOBBY WILKINS

Spokane, Washington, US

Lauren Warner wrote:
I like your work. I like it very much. You're good. You ask can you charge models yet?
Well, you are an art photographer. You are making art. The only market for art is gallery and such. It's not photography that is in any way commercial, so basically NO. Clients for some sort of commercial purpose (ads , websites, magazines, fashion etc.) are who are going to pay you and then you pay the model with your budget. If you can do portfolio worthy pics for a commercial, marketable model then, yes you could charge the model.

WOW ive never looked at it that way.
thank you:)
so basically....all this passion and hard work is just a hobby...untill i can create a portfolio worthy enough for commercial and marketable purposes?
that sucks.

Feb 03 08 02:34 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

QuixoticImages wrote:
WOW ive never looked at it that way.
thank you:)
so basically....all this passion and hard work is just a hobby...untill i can create a portfolio worthy enough for commercial and marketable purposes?
that sucks.

Think about it this way - who's going to hire you, and why?
It's not an insult, just a different perspective.

A lot of people (photographer, models, and others) think "I've been doing this a long time, I've invested a lot of money into it, therefore I should get paid." But that's not the way business works. You've got to identify a market, develop a product, and then market it.

For instance, you might notice that there are a lot of people looking for headshots - so you put together a portfolio of great headshots, then market yourself as a headshot photographer.

Feb 03 08 03:18 am Link