Forums > General Industry > Car shows and Race tracks.

Photographer

Matthew Myers

A model and I are thinking about working at car shows and race tracks.   Taking pics with a model and then selling the pics to the owners.   Im looking for ideas on Price and amount of prints.  They will be on a cd for them to do with what they want after they pay for the cd.     

We were thinkng $100 for 5 pics and $15 each for any extras.   
What do you think.      thanks a lot for the help.

Matt.

Jan 14 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Matthew Myers wrote:
A model and I are thinking about working at car shows and race tracks.   Taking pics with a model and then selling the pics to the owners.   Im looking for ideas on Price and amount of prints.  They will be on a cd for them to do with what they want after they pay for the cd.     

Matt.

Matt, let me know how that goes.........alot of times people WILL NOT allow you to shoot models with thier cars or pay for any photos
I`d say the $100 is about right, well maybe 10 pics instead of 5.....

I myself work with really rare stuff and I don`t give my copyrights up to anyone, customers work is still watermarked and copyrighted

Jan 14 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I am both a car guy and a photog so let me put my in put here.  First of all, most of us are very protective of our cars.  Make sure the model knows how to lay on the car and what not to not screw up the paint.  I think it also might help if you had a tuned car of some sort.  Second, I doubt you are ganna see a lot of people willing to buy the picture to be honest.  You may be luckier if you do them tfp and submit them to mags like d sport and import tuner.

Jan 15 06 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

You have to remember that people don't want to pay money for something they can do themselves. It's not a strech for them to find a good looking girl to lean against their car while they snap away with their digital point and shoot. Your skill level as a photographer is neglectible if these people have no reason to buy 5 shots for $100 (thats $20 a shot). If I had these pictures as a car owner what use would I have for them? I'm not marketing anything so I'm not making money, I just have a cool car. That doesn't justify someone paying you $100

You're far better off going to a classic car repair or build shop and offering to produce a calendar or postcards for them. You get to do something in the same vein and you'll have more willing customers because they'll see your product as a way to market themselves as well.

Jan 15 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Matthew Myers wrote:

Matt.

Matt....take it from a hotrod owner and a motorsports photographer....it ain't gonna work.

First, unless your model is Pamela Anderson, no one is going to pay you 100 dollars for some wanna be model to pose by their car.

Secondly, most people with nice cars don't want anyone near their cars or are to busy to be bothered, much less let some model with a belt, beads or jean rivets scratching up a 5000 dollar paint job.

Most people who usually attend races who would go for it, sure as hell ain't going to give you 100 bucks for a few pictures. Most people have a hard enough time covering entry fees much less a 100 bucks for some photos when you can just grab a hot girl walking by and ask her nicely to stand by your car for free.

From my experience, which I cover about 12 races a year and numerous hot rodding events for clients, I don't see it working for ya.

But thats just my 2 cents.

Jan 15 06 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

I make $150 per shoot for clients/owners and that`s with or without a model (25 PHOTOS)
I make more $$$$ shooting privately with a $100,000 Porsche or a $80,000 vintage Corvette for their owners while they are IMPRESSED with my work and find it unique
Magazine`s don`t pay scratch for special or rare cars, most of them want it all for free, if anyone knows of a magazine that pays let me know I have about 25,000 images to sell them......(MESSAGE ME OFF THE BOARD)

Models laying on a car is a no no.........but driving or laying in them with vintage lingerie works everytime, I do have some owners who are "anal" about shooting Retro nudes with their car, so I have to interview them before I bring a nude model

I get a kick out of all of this while I get to sit in (and sometimes drive) ultra rare vintage cars that some people NEVER even see in their lives, that`s the fun of it all big_smile

Jan 15 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ceehawk Multimedia

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

I really don't think it will work either.  Submitting the work to magazines for publication would probably be more realistic and it will also force you to produce top notch pictures with a top notch model because competiton is keen when your working on getting your stuff published.

Jan 15 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Apopular sign at many car show is "Unless your Nude, don't touch my car!
Most car gusy have lot of time, money and emotion tied up in their cars.
they will spend tons for original parts etc but they only need one set of good photos of their baby. A P&S didital is good enough for them most of the time.
I think you have a lot of hard work to get this to be a money maker

Jan 15 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Matthew Myers wrote:

Now......

Um.....

Let me get this straight.....

You want to go up to people at carshows, with a model, have the model pose with the car, then charge the car owner $100 for the photo?

Let me guess ... Right before you got that brilliant idea, you looked like this:

https://www.kittyville.com/pix/images/crack.jpeg

Jan 16 06 02:31 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Um.....

You want to go up to people at carshows, with a model, have the model pose with the car, then charge the car owner $100 for the photo?

Let me guess ... Right before you got that brilliant idea, you looked like this:

Well.... funny comment.. but true!

Jan 16 06 02:36 am Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

Now......

Um.....

Eric, you never fail to entertain me. L-O-fucking-L

Jan 16 06 02:38 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I was shooting cars long before I started shooting models. I see 2 problems with your plan.

1) A car show is not a very photogenic location. Too many distractions around to get a quality full-car shot.

2)See that middle-aged or older gent in the lawn chair? He is most likely the owner of the car. See the middle-aged or older woman in the lawn chair next to him? She is the woman who put up with his long hours in the garage while he built that dream car. She's stuck that weekend in a lawnchair hearing the Beach Boys over and over and over....She is supposed to be the dream girl cruising with him in the poodle skirt. She is normally NOT going to be very pleased if he buys a photo of a pretty young thing crawling or lying around THEIR car.

Now an approach that MIGHT work.....approach the owner and tell him you are a photographer of automotive art and you would be interested in doing a shoot with his car. Have a book of your work along the lines of the quality photos you see in coffee table books of cars. Have some with and without models. Then offer to shoot with or without the model. Of course the model with car will cost more....

I can see this working better albeit limited success at a car show. Now a bike show may be a totally different matter...

Jan 16 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Matthew Myers wrote:

Matt.

it will not happen.  especially at race tracks.  I sometimes shoot motorsports, soi know what i'm talking about. 

1) drivers are CHEAP!!! they'll spend the whole bank on cars, to make it go fast, but not a penny on anything else. The last image i sold to a driver, was a 16x20 of his Type S Honda, and I charged him $80, that's as high as he would spend on a PICTURE.

2) if you are at a track, you are SOL.  you will need credential and have to sign a release stating that if your ass gets run over, the track isn't liable.  Not only that, a lot of track have rules for "professional" photographers, saying that the track is suppose to get (usually 50%) of your gross sales.  that's why most motorsports photographers are shooting for editorial (magazine/newspaper).  it ain't worth shooting and selling images.

Jan 16 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

AllioArt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Matt...

Please be aware that if you are shooting at a race track for commercial purposes, you will be required to pay a percentage to the track.  The common number is 30-percent.  Most also require special liability releases...  If caught selling without the proper paperwork, in most states you may be charged with criminal trespass...

Some tracks and car shows don't care.  But, most professional tracks and promoters have specific policies in place.  It is always better to check first...

Jan 16 06 10:04 am Link