Forums > General Industry > Is a new camera fee to much to ask?

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Well is it.   

Think about it.

Jan 14 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

haha touché.

Photographers usually take the brunt of the cost between camera, computer, memory cards/film, lenses, gas, light/flash bulbs etc. It seems a little selfish of others involved that a photographer has to pay a make-up kit fee or a model on a test shoot, etc. because everyone mutually benefits from a good photo.

Jan 14 06 01:51 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Maybe models should have a "healthy food and gym fee" because it cost more money to maintain a healthy and fit look smile

Jan 14 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Maybe models should have a "healthy food and gym fee" because it cost more money to maintain a healthy and fit look smile

No wonder why photographers starve.

Hold on, if I do all three, should I charge new camera, makeup kit and gym and healthy food and herbal supplement, entertainment, wine and dine fee?

Jan 14 06 02:14 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Charge whatever you want, but would you be willing to hand over all copyrights to your MUA?

wink

Jan 14 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

Marksora wrote:
Well is it.   

Think about it.

Whenever I'm tempted to post up in here, there you are, sparking the thought process. Bless you.

Jan 14 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

- null -

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
Charge whatever you want, but would you be willing to hand over all copyrights to your MUA?

wink

For a Canon 5D camera-fee? Absolutely!

Jan 14 06 02:19 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

For a Canon 5D camera-fee? Absolutely!

Now then Eric...just what do you think the average kit fee is in this business? Kit fee is supposed to help you refill your consumables. A 5D would be more equivalent to a whole NEW kit, a few airbrushes, and a semester in "beauty school"!

I know you guys have the big time expenses, but you guys also get the copyrights. Play the copyright game right and you can make a hell of a lot more than a kit fee!

And just for the record...I don't charge a kit fee, I either get paid full or share full copyright. wink

Jan 14 06 02:54 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

lll wrote:
...Hold on, if I do all three, should I charge new camera, makeup kit and gym and healthy food and herbal supplement, entertainment, wine and dine fee?

I like that idea.  I think if everyone is compelled to charges extra fees, then it won't be necessary to charge any fees.  - and nobody will have to pay extra accounting fees to their bookkeepers.

Jan 14 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

If you are charging for your services, what difference does it make to the client if your camera is new or old?  Your fees should reflect the cost of doing business and whether or not you get commissioned will depend on whether your fees are competitive and commensurate with the quality of your work.

If you are talking about charging models for the cost of your camera at a TFP, then it isn't a TFP is it?  It is just a different way to attempt to get models to pay you a fee, even if a small one.

Jan 14 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
Now then Eric...just what do you think the average kit fee is in this business? Kit fee is supposed to help you refill your consumables.

Kit fees are a normal thing.  Make-up has to be used and replaced.  Not everyone charges them.   With some MUA's, their rate includes the cost of consumables, but I have no problem with those who do.

My question, is do you charge your fee based on the size of a model?  If one is particularly buxom, a plus-model or unusually petite, does that affect the cost?  OK, just kidding.

Jan 14 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Sharon Gutowski

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

Your fees should cover costs of operations including overhead, equipment and your salary.  Don't call it a "new camera fee" or they will feel like they are paying for your equipment.  They are, in part, but it's all a part of making a living right?  (or at least trying to ;-)  Call it a test fee or something like that so they know it's covering your operation costs.  Thats what I would do anyway.

Sharon :-)

Jan 14 06 11:43 am Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

lll wrote:
Hold on, if I do all three, should I charge new camera, makeup kit and gym and healthy food and herbal supplement, entertainment, wine and dine fee?

Well, how about a resume fee? For every ten years (Well, maybe five since I have reached two decades yet)
Then I can add cooking fee. Yep, I'm willing to cook... We get hungry on the set!!
And, what about a waking up in the morning fee?
A clothe changing fee?
A posing fee?
A Bright lights fee?
A Freeze my a$$ off in winter and cook my a$$ in the summer fee?
A planning fee?
A what if fee?
An insurance fee?
A contract review fee?
A signature fee?
A copyright void fee?
A talking fee?

Hey I can make some money off of fees alone!!!!!!

But, wait..those fees can apply to the mua, stylist and photographer too!!
Man, just can't make any money off these dang on fees.

I'll just stick with Model's Rate.

Jan 14 06 12:02 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Can I charge a double-post fee?

Jan 14 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

With what some photographers charge they can easily get a new high end camera in two shoots.

Jan 14 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
Now then Eric...just what do you think the average kit fee is in this business? Kit fee is supposed to help you refill your consumables. A 5D would be more equivalent to a whole NEW kit, a few airbrushes, and a semester in "beauty school"!

You've been on these boards a long time. 90% of my replies are sarcastic jokes. Duh. You know that. You honestly think I was being serious?

Jan 14 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

'Monk

Denver, Colorado, US

I would say yes. After all, it is something you will be using more than the model(s) after all. It would be like a really new band asking their soon to be audience to pay for their new equipment before they even hit the stage or write a single song.

Jan 14 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I'm thinking about starting to charge a nominal fee to cover my equipment and time (separate from my paid work.)  I've done "pro bono" headshots for a few actor friends lately (I usually charge $200) but if I'd charged them only $25 each I'd have my finance payment for the month *shrug.*

Jan 14 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Marksora wrote:
Well is it.   

Think about it.

For years photographers charged a studio, or camera time fee. This fee was paid at the time of the shoot. This fee was to offset overhead and to pay for the film, and film processing fees.

Any prints ordered was in addition to this fee. It's still a good idea.

Jan 14 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i"m luvin it.

Jan 14 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
I've done "pro bono" headshots

PRO BONO:  Etymology: Latin pro bono publico for the public good

Lawyers do pro bono work, for example defending a criminal or filing a lawsuit because it is good policy to offer those services to those in need.  The public is benefited by everyone getting their day in court.

I am trying to figure out the public good in shooting headshots.  Is a person particularly ugly so you need to make them better so nobody gets sick?  Are you trying to shoot bad headshots so a particularly untalented actor will not get work?

Pro Bono means to work for free for the public good, rather than doing it as a favor to someone for their benefit.

So, OK, I am gain, what is the public good here?  I gotta know because I am on the edge of my seat with curiousity.

I have a few ideas.  I am just wondering what was yours.

Jan 14 06 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Cain

Irvine, California, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

You've been on these boards a long time. 90% of my replies are sarcastic jokes. Duh. You know that. You honestly think I was being serious?

Darn it Eric, and all this time I've been concerned about Soilent Green? smile

Jan 14 06 02:35 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

Kit fees are a normal thing.  Make-up has to be used and replaced.  Not everyone charges them.   With some MUA's, their rate includes the cost of consumables, but I have no problem with those who do.

My question, is do you charge your fee based on the size of a model?  If one is particularly buxom, a plus-model or unusually petite, does that affect the cost?  OK, just kidding.

Actually, if I am doing a "fantasy photo shoot" for a paid client I do ask their size. Particularly tall or large clients do get charged a bit more because I end up using WAY more supplies, and taking a much longer time to get the job done. Unusually petite actually describes half the models I've worked with, but none of my paid clients so far.

And Eric...I knew you were being sarcastic...but I also knew you were making a point. wink

Jan 14 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

pandagirls

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, US

And a bother fee for not showing up.

Jan 15 06 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Even noting that the OP thread is really a shot at the "can I charge a make up kit fee", one can always ask whatever price one wants to.  Conversely, one can turn down any price one wants to in return. 

Anyone can charge what the market will bear and the market will decide (photographer price, model prices or stylist prices - all free market driven).

As for a special charge for a new Canon 12 mpixels - well it does look a hellava lot more professional than so many of the chrome point and shots on the market, one might just be able to convince a client that the photographer is a professional as the equipment looks and charge accordingly - so the answer to the original question is "yes".

Jan 15 06 10:12 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

dagnabit! is that why I keep getting the higher end of the rates when I speak to MUA's? :\

Jan 15 06 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

PRO BONO:  Etymology: Latin pro bono publico for the public good

Lawyers do pro bono work, for example defending a criminal or filing a lawsuit because it is good policy to offer those services to those in need.  The public is benefited by everyone getting their day in court.

I am trying to figure out the public good in shooting headshots.  Is a person particularly ugly so you need to make them better so nobody gets sick?  Are you trying to shoot bad headshots so a particularly untalented actor will not get work?

Pro Bono means to work for free for the public good, rather than doing it as a favor to someone for their benefit.

So, OK, I am gain, what is the public good here?  I gotta know because I am on the edge of my seat with curiousity.

I have a few ideas.  I am just wondering what was yours.

.......it's just an expression, I was making a lighthearted comment. that's why it was in quotes.  I was really just doing it as a favor.

Jan 15 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I just read of a photog in Digital Photo Pro that charges rental fees to the client - even if he owns the equipment. He says it helps greatly in covering the cost of equipment upgrades, and that everyone should do it. His name's Brian Kuhlman, and his clients include Anheuser-Busch.

So yeah, some people get away with it... more power to 'em, too.

Jan 15 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

feel free to referance my new rant,

Star

Jan 15 06 09:54 pm Link