Forums > General Industry > "No Show" Photogs........

Photographer

Leah Rice

Elkridge, Maryland, US

Friday, I was to assist another photo for a test shoot/interview for a project he is working on and the model did not show. She had cancelled the week before via a phone call, which we appreciated. I have seen many threads dealing with "no show" models but have ever heard of a "no show" photogs? Anyone have any stories to share?

There have been a few times I wished I had been a "no show"  smile

Jan 14 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

I would imagine it happens less often as the photographer usually invests the most time and money into a shoot (not always true, but a good percentage of the time)

Jan 14 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Not in this field, but I did once have a guy who told me about an event he was covering & told me that it would be cool if I came as well...

He never showed up & the company made me the official event photographer, refering all the customers to me...

It was an all-star cheer competition:

https://www.pbprophoto.net/cheera1.jpg

Paul

Jan 14 06 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

I dunno... all I know is that in my location all I've got to deal with are flakey models and it makes me sad.  I'm still new and doing TFP/CD and they schedule, then cancel at the last moment or they don't even let me know and I've already cleared the day for that time to shoot.  :-(  I even have all the make up with me and some wardrobe if I have the right size for something somewhere but I usually ask that they bring wardrobe. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but they're the ones that contacted to book with me and they just don't show.  So, my portfolio doesn't grow any.  It's evil! O_x

I think that while I was modeling I had 1 photographer seem like he wasn't going to show but was just running late and contacted me so I appreciated that.  ^_^

Jan 14 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Key

Long Beach, California, US

I've had my share of flaky models. But then again, if they were pros and had a future, they wouldn't have flaked

Jan 14 06 12:33 am Link

Model

_Kimberly

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I was supposed to have a shoot about 2 weeks ago. The day before, I tried to get in contact with the photographer just to confirm it, but he never answered.
I decided to go anyway, just in case, but he didn't show up...

Does that count?

Jan 14 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Happens all the time.  I run a rental photo studios.  I have had a number of occassions where models show up for a confirmed booking and the photographer does not.  It has also happened on a number of occassions where a photographer has pre-booked a particular model for a workshop then simply doesn't show up.

I think it is more common for models to "no show" but it would be unfair to characterize it solely as a model's issue.

Jan 14 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Kimmy275 wrote:
I was supposed to have a shoot about 2 weeks ago. The day before, I tried to get in contact with the photographer just to confirm it, but he never answered.
I decided to go anyway, just in case, but he didn't show up...

Does that count?

A photog flaked on you? He must be blind     smile

Jan 14 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

The photographer equivalent of being a "no show" is when a photographer does a TFP but then never gives the models any pictures.  From what I hear it is an unfortunately common occurance.

Jan 14 06 10:37 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

phcorcoran wrote:
The photographer equivalent of being a "no show" is when a photographer does a TFP but then never gives the models any pictures.  From what I hear it is an unfortunately common occurance.

I have had that happen a time or two. After that, I have made it a practice to get copies of the model/photographer's release, so that I can be sure to have a way to make the photographer keep his end of the bargain.

I have also had photographers flake out before the shoot was even finished being scheduled. I don't know if this counts or not. It has happened a few times. They will say they are interested in working with me, I send a response back saying something along the lines of "ok, let's set up a time and day to shoot." Then, I get no reply back. I am wondering if they are just not ready to shoot a plus size model, or they just simply changed their mind about working with me, but decided not to let me know that. Either way, it is a bit rude to tell someone you are interested in working with them, and you spend all kinds of time and money getting ready for a shoot, and then they change their mind.

Jan 14 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Rebecca Alsbury wrote:
I send a response back saying something along the lines of "ok, let's set up a time and day to shoot." Then, I get no reply back.

People drop off the ends of the Earth all the time, especially with email, so it's not worth taking personally.

I do all bookings by telephone.  I never even begin the "let's set up a time" discussion unless I have a model's telephone number. 

Rebecca Alsbury wrote:
I am wondering if they are just not ready to shoot a plus size model, or they just simply changed their mind about working with me . . .

Plus-sized women are often reluctant models.  Many post their pictures on modeling websites, but then never agree to a shoot.  Some of them write back to my invitations with "You know that I'm a plus sized model, right?" as if it is a catchy disease.  Sometimes I think that new models don't understand the distinction between modeling and dating.

Whatever the case, someone backing out of a booking beforehand is far preferable to the "no show" situations.

Jan 14 06 11:53 pm Link