Forums > General Industry > A question about tear sheets...

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

So I've been in a couple of magazines now.  In some cases I was emailed jpegs of the tears, and sent copies of the mag, and alternate shots they thought I might like.  In other cases I just got a check and had to buy the magazine myself (not a problem: I understand they're big busy publications).

So I have all these tears in my book, hardcopy.  I have only the ones sent to me electronically online.  But I really like some of the other shots.  Am I allowed to scan these?  Or is that illeagal (or simply a no-no)?  The releases I signed don't say anything about it, and I wouldn't be selling them, or charging to view them.  But the last thing I'd want is a magazine or photographer ticked off at me.         

Advice?

Jan 13 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

VikyL wrote:
So I've been in a couple of magazines now.  In some cases I was emailed jpegs of the tears, and sent copies of the mag, and alternate shots they thought I might like.  In other cases I just got a check and had to buy the magazine myself (not a problem: I understand they're big busy publications).

So I have all these tears in my book, hardcopy.  I have only the ones sent to me electronically online.  But I really like some of the other shots.  Am I allowed to scan these?  Or is that illeagal (or simply a no-no)?  The releases I signed don't say anything about it, and I wouldn't be selling them, or charging to view them.  But the last thing I'd want is a magazine or photographer ticked off at me.         

Advice?

Technically it *is* illegal to scan them to put them online.

Jan 13 06 04:23 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

Thank you!  I won't do that then.

Jan 13 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

You can however post links to them if you find them online, or ask them permission to use the photographs in self promoting online.

People aren't likely to go after you about it if you're just promoting yourself (it would be a tough legal battle for no gain on either side), but if you just want to be on the up and up don't do it.

Jan 13 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Vozdic Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Go for it.  You wont have any problem.

Jan 13 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

raveneyes wrote:
Technically it *is* illegal to scan them to put them online.

Yes, technically, whoever did the add layout (or front cover layout or whatever) or the magazine owns the copyright to that page. However, scanning is done all the time. It is common practice. As a practical matter, I've never heard of anyone getting upset over this, and can't imagine why anyone would. If an image of you is used in an ad or article, it would be beyond crass for someone to deny you the use of the tear sheet. So ask first, if you can.  If you get no answer or can't get ahold of anyone, I say go ahead anyway; it is a pretty low risk thing to do. At worst, they might ask you to remove it.

Jan 13 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Of course you can scan any tearsheet, and put it in your online portfolio for your personal promotion. Its done all the time. Technically its not legal, technically.... because you cannot reproduce and/or display in public copywritten material. (The publication holds all copyrights, exclusive of artwork submitted by freelance photographers & Illustrators, who own the copyrights on their own images. This gets confusing when you start working for Conde Nast)
But its done so often by the industry, that its widely accepted, that is if in fact it is obvious that its for your own personal use as promotion as a model.
When scanning, try to use the 133 line screen anti-screen option to avoid the moiree pattern in the final scan and/or scan at 300 dpi at actual size, then afterwards, interpolate down to 72 dpi at around 50% to 75% of original.

http://www.onemodelplace.com/photograph … ?P_ID=1502

Go to omp link, and scroll all the way to bottom to tearsheets section to see online tearsheets.

Jan 13 06 08:39 pm Link