Forums > General Industry > Big question here

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I'm wondering...does anyone on here work with plus size models? I'm trying to find photographers in my area (or those who travel here) who are willing to work with me on a test/tfp/tfcd basis. I need to update my portfolio with my current look. I think I will try to contact a few photographers on here (I'm still a bit new to the site). I'm hoping to atleast get a courtesy reply, but am really hoping to find a few who are willing to shoot me. I know that some photographers won't shoot on a tfp basis unless they need your certain look.

Anyhow, any feedback on this subject would be nice. I'm wondering if other plus size models have a hard time finding photographers to work with them...maybe it's just me. Oh well, I'm off to check out profiles and start contacting people. Wish me luck!

Jun 05 05 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Hi Rebecca;

I am working with every body type... but usually I charge the skinny ones too, so I don't discriminate... I even make financial arrangements.

But, since you are in a galaxy far far away...

I am sure you'll find somone for TFP work.

Of course, I do understand your dilemma, since too many so-called-photographers doing it just for the chance to "hook up" with slim and pretty girls (whom they often wouldn't have the guts or looks themself to approach), it must be tougher for you.

If you want to build a portfolio that is strong enough that entices and inspires others to shoot you eventually for free... you may have to spend some money on a very good, and experienced photographer to get a portfolio going that kicks major butts... LOL

But I am rambling...

Good luck

Udo

Jun 05 05 11:16 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Thanks Udo...and you know that if I were in New York, I would definitely pay you to shoot me...especially since you know I love your work! By the way, did you shoot any good shows this week?

Jun 05 05 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Thank YOU Rebecca for your words!

I have been shooting almost everyday, also models in lingerie etc. I had to cancel one event on Friday night for which I had a personal invitation from a celebrity (a real one... LOL) for a party, but I had to attend another event that was organized for me by a company I am working with.

Thought I could leave and go to the other one earlier, but it didn't work out that way.

Maybe I can catch up with editing this week... than I can go and cover the events I have piling up in my email... LOL

OH... The few new shots of the model El, from the Netherlands on my portfolio was done on that Friday.

She was one of the people I had to meet (and didn't know) on Friday.

Anyway... later and good luck!

Udo

P.S.: Just before I hit the "send" button... I looked at your port and almost yelled... "OH... that's YOU!!!" seeing your pic with your cowboy hat from another site... LOL... Didn't connect it immediately... very cool!

Jun 05 05 11:37 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

LOL...yep, that's me. I saw a few of your posts on myspace commenting on how this was a good site for networking, and so I thought I would give it a try...you were right, this is a good site.

Jun 06 05 10:02 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Finding a photographer that will shoot tfp and that will give you what you need will be very hard.   I would suggest that you find the best photographer that does beauty or the type of shots that meet the direction that you wish to go.

That may be a photographer in your area or a photographer that is traveling to your area.   Contact the best local agency to see if a TESTING photographer from LA or NY is traveling and shooting any of their models.

Even within the agency system,  plus-size models are more likely to pay for their shots than other models.   
It just is.

Jun 06 05 10:11 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Rebecca, I'm not sure what the photographer pool is like in Alabama, but I suspect that'll greatly affect the answer to your question.  I can tell you that in Northern California I haven't had any problems at all, but there are also gazoodles of photographers up here, so the odds go way up of finding people interested in doing alternative work.

Just ask everyone in your area whose work you like - the worst they can say is no, right?  Also, if you're on OMP they give you those great travel notices, so you'll get a heads-up on out of town photographers who are coming your way.

If you have considerable trouble getting started, you might consider paying for a shoot with someone whose work you admire.  Once you have great looking images, it's more likely that other photographers will be interested in creating more with you.

Good luck!

Jun 06 05 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Goodwin

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hi Rebecca, I can only speak for myself, but I think you photograph beautifully and I would certainly work with you.  My advice would be to initiate contact with those photographers in your area who you would like to work with, and see what happens.  You might be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Jun 06 05 02:55 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Thank you all for the information. It's very helpful. Shyly, I am on omp (model id 1884). I am also on musecube.com, but I don't check those sites as often. I have worked with one photographer in my area since moving here two years ago (I went on a hiatus). I am going to do a search to see if there are any other photographers in my area that may be of interest to work with, but I may have to travel a couple hundred miles to the north part of the state, as I have noticed most of the photographers in my state that are on omp are from the Birmingham area. I'm sure I will have some luck somewhere with finding a shooter. There is an agency near Mobile that I am thinking of sending photos to as soon as I get new ones, as they sign on "real people" for commercial print. I think their major talent base consists of children and models over the size of 8. Don't worry, I checked them out with the BBB...they aren't a school. I've already had my run-ins with John Casablancas and blew them off before they gave their sales pitch...

Jun 06 05 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Ken Long does, and so do I, but we're both in AZ... if you make a trip out this way be sure to let me know and I will TFCD with you on whatever you need.

Posted by Rebecca Alsbury: 
I'm wondering...does anyone on here work with plus size models? I'm trying to find photographers in my area (or those who travel here) who are willing to work with me on a test/tfp/tfcd basis. I need to update my portfolio with my current look. I think I will try to contact a few photographers on here (I'm still a bit new to the site). I'm hoping to atleast get a courtesy reply, but am really hoping to find a few who are willing to shoot me. I know that some photographers won't shoot on a tfp basis unless they need your certain look.

Anyhow, any feedback on this subject would be nice. I'm wondering if other plus size models have a hard time finding photographers to work with them...maybe it's just me. Oh well, I'm off to check out profiles and start contacting people. Wish me luck!

Jun 16 05 05:54 am Link

Photographer

CO_Charlie

Denver, Colorado, US

Same here, if your ever out Colorado way be sure to give me the heads up.....although i do have one plus size model in Mobile that i want to shoot soon, if time allows ill make sure to hit you up.

Jun 16 05 06:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Hmmm... I would think that for the right amount of money a photographer will work with anyone,  even a gimpy midget with no teeth...

Jun 16 05 04:19 pm Link

Model

Carlie Lawson

Longtown, Oklahoma, US

Hey Rebecca,

How far are you from Atlanta, GA? I know a terrific photog there who's about to start a shooting a new series. Are you driving distance to Big A?

Chrissie

Jun 16 05 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Reese: 

Hmmm... I would think that for the right amount of money a photographer will work with anyone,  even a gimpy midget with no teeth... 

Hey, I'd photograph a midget with no gimp even, if she, or he offered me a rate that's on par with the going rate in my area.

Jun 16 05 10:13 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

correct, there are many quality shooters in Atlanta. send me a message if you want my list, you can also check on www.musecube.com/zoe_night .  since i can lock down images there, i post more on that site.  i credit my photogs and MUAs on each shot.

in Alabama?  i only know one name, Rich Drinkard, but i've not had the pleasure of shooting with him.  awesome port though!!!

Z

Jun 16 05 11:16 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Posted by Christine 16: 
Hey Rebecca,

How far are you from Atlanta, GA? I know a terrific photog there who's about to start a shooting a new series. Are you driving distance to Big A?

Chrissie

Thanks Chrissie. I'm about a 4 hour drive from Atlanta. I actually used to live in Oklahoma, but we were stationed here two years ago(the hubby is in the army).

To everyone else: thank you so much for the advice, help, interest, etc. I greatly appreciate it! I have already started talking with a couple of photographers in the area, and am working on getting a shoot scheduled to the 4th of July weekend.

Again, thank you all.

Jun 17 05 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

If you were in my area and interested in the kind of work that I'm doing (your comments on my images are welcome), I would gladly do TFP with you.  Best of luck to you.  Hang in there!

Herb

Jun 19 05 01:22 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Posted by Herb Way: 
If you were in my area and interested in the kind of work that I'm doing (your comments on my images are welcome), I would gladly do TFP with you.  Best of luck to you.  Hang in there!

Herb

thank you. If I'm ever up that way, I will give you a holler...

Jun 20 05 02:37 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Posted by Carlos Arturo Velarde: 
Ken Long does, and so do I, but we're both in AZ... if you make a trip out this way be sure to let me know and I will TFCD with you on whatever you need.

Thanks Carlos. If, by chance, I am over that way, or traveling to that side of the country, I will be sure to let you know. We may end up getting moved that way before too long, but do not know.

Jun 20 05 02:40 pm Link