Forums > General Industry > how would you go about....

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

being nice and brushing off a photographer whose works sucks (GWC), who wants to come down and do a second shoot with you. And yes this is my pickle for the moment. Any suggestions?

Jan 13 06 04:44 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

egyptmachine wrote:
being nice and brushing off a photographer whose works sucks (GWC), who wants to come down and do a second shoot with you. And yes this is my pickle for the moment. Any suggestions?

dont brush him off just tell him the truth otherwise he will keep waisting your time.

Jan 13 06 04:46 am Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

Jan 13 06 04:50 am Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

The Don Mon wrote:

dont brush him off just tell him the truth otherwise he will keep waisting your time.

I know this sounds stupid, because I'm an honest person. I don't want to go the bitch route. Should I tell him nicely I don't want to work with himi any further, mind you he's not an overt perv.  He's nice and all just gets annoying when he constantly asks you for bikini shots, and his port is full of tasteless thong bikini shots

Jan 13 06 04:50 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

As a professional photographer. I hear critiques from clients all the time. Some are startling and others are great! The thing is I know where I stand.

Tell the photographer that you are not interested in working with him and that you are looking to work with photographers that will support YOUR direction.

Thats it!

M

Jan 13 06 05:22 am Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
As a professional photographer. I hear critiques from clients all the time. Some are startling and others are great! The thing is I know where I stand.

Tell the photographer that you are not interested in working with him and that you are looking to work with photographers that will support YOUR direction.

Thats it!

M

i just needed a push to do it, thanks!

Jan 13 06 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Thats it!

M

Excellent advice.  Also a good and honest phrase is :"I am looking to widen my portfolio with different styles and NAMES - looking to shoot with other photographers for the forseeable future."

Jan 13 06 06:56 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

If that do not work, suggest she/he take a class in a university. Even a small one will help... and just stay busy yourself, even if its just personal time alone. But by all means, do not suck up to something you do not want to do.

Jan 13 06 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Thats it!

M

Dreams To Keep wrote:
Excellent advice.  Also a good and honest phrase is :"I am looking to widen my portfolio with different styles and NAMES - looking to shoot with other photographers for the forseeable future."

I agree with both.. just tell him that you are looking to shoot with a wider range of photographers to expand the look of your portfolio and to get some exposure (not sure if you want to use that word if he's trying to get you nekkid wink ) in different styles and looks

Jan 13 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Just say, "No thank you, I am not interested in working with you." and move on.  If you're professional about it, most photographers will seek models elsewhere.  smile

Jan 13 06 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Images By Ijumo wrote:
just tell him that you are looking to shoot with a wider range of photographers to expand the look of your portfolio and to get some exposure (not sure if you want to use that word if he's trying to get you nekkid wink ) in different styles and looks

this is just about what i would suggest.  Tell him you're looking to work with NEW people and don't want to have a lot of similar work in your port.

Jan 13 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

egyptmachine wrote:

I can't see that pay has been discussed. (Some of the messages look sort of weird on my screen.)

If he wants to pay, unless it's the sort of work you don't do, what do you care? (And if it is, just say so.)

If he doesn't, that's your out. "I am trying to do TFP that will expand my book: right now my book doesn't need anything in the areas you want to shoot."

M

Jan 13 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

egyptmachine wrote:
mind you he's not an overt perv.

He's nice and all just gets annoying when he constantly asks you for bikini shots, and his port is full of tasteless thong bikini shots

hes not a perv....just has a port full of tasteless thing bikini shots.......lol i love it

Jan 13 06 11:15 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I would just tell him that you have enough shots of that particular style that he shoots, and that you don't think his style of work is exactly the direction you wish to take your modeling career. I would be nice and say thank you for the previous shoot, but now it is time to move on to other photographers to get a wider variety for your book.

Jan 13 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

Just tell him his caliber of work isn't worth your time. If you're not honest then there is no motivation for them to improve, if they ever improve.

Jan 13 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Just tell him that your not interested.

Jan 13 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Being truthfull does not have to be undiplomatic.
"Im looking for more paid jobs now as my time is limited"
"Im looking to  work with photographers that will expand my port and have a lot in styles similiar to yours"
Im looking to move my port in a different direction with more.....
bob

Jan 13 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Tell him you're only accepting paid work at the moment.  If his work is that bad, I'm sure that will do the trick.

Jan 13 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Well, if his work sucks, then you could say, "Thank you, but no... I didn't get anything useable from the last time we worked together"

The previous poster's comment about only taking on paid assignments now isn't too bad, but consider that he may feel that you are worth it....

Good luck,

Allen

Jan 14 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

AllenA wrote:
The previous poster's comment about only taking on paid assignments now isn't too bad, but consider that he may feel that you are worth it....

Then set a price you think is unrealistic.

Jan 14 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

StMarc wrote:
If he wants to pay, unless it's the sort of work you don't do, what do you care? (And if it is, just say so.)

If you are saying, that if hes paying her and it is work she is ok with doing why should she care if he sucks or not,,,,all I can say is there are some models, just like photographers, who are picky about how their images come out. Not all of us are blinded by the possibility of padding out wallet at all costs.

Jan 14 06 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Is he doing a paid shoot ? Or is it a tfp shoot ? If he is new give the guy a chance. It takes time to get good. If it is a tfp just tell him you are not doing tfp shoots anymore. Or just tell him the truth that you don't like the way he shoots. There are plenty of models out there that would love to do a shoot with a new photographer.

Mike

Jan 14 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Tell him that although you appreciate his work, it is something you don't need more of in your portfolio and are therefore not interested in working with him anymore at this time...

egyptmachine wrote:

Jan 14 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

egyptmachine wrote:
being nice and brushing off a photographer whose works sucks (GWC), who wants to come down and do a second shoot with you.

I never did a FIRST shoot with you, what are you talking about??

Not that I wouldn't mind! You're SLAMMIN'!!!

GWC!

Jan 14 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
Tell him that although you appreciate his work, it is something you don't need more of in your portfolio and are therefore not interested in working with him anymore at this time...

I am so not stupid enough to buy that.

I had one model tell me "I didn't particularly like the results from our first shoot, and didn't want to use any of the photos in my portfolio. So if I pose for you again, I'd just be doing it for the cash and I'm not sure I'd be able to do my best if my heart wasn't in the shoot."  Which let me say "OK I'll pay you $50/hr extra" and she was like "OK"

I get a lot of rejections from models who don't understand the awsome subtle ironic nature of my work. Some of them try to pat me on the head with helpful advice like "maybe you should take some classes, or read the manual for your camera" and stuff like that. That's like saying:
"No. AND I think you're stupid"
rather than just
"No thanks."

GWC!

Jan 14 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

egyptmachine wrote:

Tell him you are busy!

Jan 14 06 11:35 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

That Look Photo wrote:
Is he doing a paid shoot ? Or is it a tfp shoot ? If he is new give the guy a chance. It takes time to get good. If it is a tfp just tell him you are not doing tfp shoots anymore. Or just tell him the truth that you don't like the way he shoots. There are plenty of models out there that would love to do a shoot with a new photographer.

Mike

No he's been doing this for a while, he just has no taste. Doesn't consider lighting, likes to repeat backgrounds in various shoots with different models, and is just annoying.  The first shoot I did with him, all my pics came out with me squinting because he must of "forgot" the damn sun was in my face, and he doesn't even know the concept of photoshop. Thats why I don't like his pic, and why I removed one of his pics from my profile

Jan 15 06 03:11 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

I would just say that your shoot was def. something you are glad you did (Maybe because.... now you know not to do it again? hehe) but that you think you really got his "style" now and maybe at some point in the future if your look changed and you needed to re-do your whole book...

Good luck!
Rachel

Jan 15 06 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Thats it!

M

Agreed...Simple and direct

Jan 15 06 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Awww, Do the bikini shots.  You don't have any on your port y'know?  Give the guy a break.

Jan 15 06 04:51 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

markcomp wrote:
Awww, Do the bikini shots.  You don't have any on your port y'know?  Give the guy a break.

Heh, yeah sure at 3 months pregnant, I'll look way hot. lol

Jan 16 06 10:14 pm Link