Forums > General Industry > Character Modeling

Model

lalaleee

Stevens Point, Wisconsin, US

I'm going to try some character modeling, and i have no experience with it.

I would be more specific, but it's the photographers idea and I don't think it's appropriate to post it in a thread.

Does anybody have examples that they want to share? (any genre)

I'm looking for inspiration!

Jan 12 06 03:31 pm Link

Model

lalaleee

.... a tumbleweed slowly rolls by....

hmmm, I guess I should've been a little more clear.  I meant that the photographer has an idea for a "character" that he wants to capture with a particular costume, make-up, pose and expression.  It would require me to do some acting.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who takes part in this kind of modeling and/or photography.

Jan 12 06 07:38 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Sounds like you should have a good time!  Have fun with it and don't worry!

Jan 12 06 07:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well it would help if you mentioned what kinda caracter your wanting to portray? like little red ridding hood or a sexy nurse  ect ect ect the list goes on and on and on

Jan 12 06 07:50 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Most of my work could probably be considered "Character modelling"..I know I love to work with models who can act!

Jan 12 06 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Hart

Port Republic, New Jersey, US

You have to BE the character. In a way you are an actor/model not just a model. My Amazons are that way--some models just do not feekl at home witrh weapons and that makes them somewhat stiff and awkward- even  some of the barbarians guys have trouble fitting the role and ir IS a role and to get good pix you must fit it.

Jan 12 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

well isn't the whole point of being a good model is having the ability to take the clothing and do the pose and expression for the photographer? It seems like you're just intimidating yourself because you haven't done anything really involving.

Jan 12 06 08:01 pm Link

Model

lalaleee

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
well it would help if you mentioned what kinda caracter your wanting to portray? like little red ridding hood or a sexy nurse  ect ect ect the list goes on and on and on

The character is called the 'letter carrier of good and evil' smile I think I can have a lot of fun with this. The trick is to appear good and evil at the same time: both approachable and treacherous.

Jan 12 06 08:02 pm Link

Model

lalaleee

Angelo Lorenzo  wrote:
well isn't the whole point of being a good model is having the ability to take the clothing and do the pose and expression for the photographer? It seems like you're just intimidating yourself because you haven't done anything really involving.

What you say is true and I guess I'm just apprehensive about this shoot because so far I've only done portfolio-building shoots and haven't had to fulfill anyone else's requirements.

Jan 12 06 08:10 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

you're misusing the term. Character models and actors are usually people that have a very specific look about them. Often they are "mom" or "Dad" or "grandma/pa". They may look like someone famous, or be extraordinary in appearance, such as being very tall, short, fat,ugly, big, funny looking whatever have you.

I don't know what category you'd fit what you describe into but it isn't character modeling.

Jan 12 06 08:11 pm Link

Model

lalaleee

Miss Anthropy wrote:
you're misusing the term. Character models and actors are usually people that have a very specific look about them. Often they are "mom" or "Dad" or "grandma/pa". They may look like someone famous, or be extraordinary in appearance, such as being very tall, short, fat,ugly, big, funny looking whatever have you.

I don't know what category you'd fit what you describe into but it isn't character modeling.

Thanks. I guess I'll do my research before posting again smile

Jan 12 06 08:15 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

These are character models...

http://www.ugly.org/index2.html

The only pretty girls on the "specials" page are either heavily tattoo'd pierced or are contortionists. Pretty impressive stuff really.

Jan 12 06 08:26 pm Link

Model

lalaleee

what a great site! how would you explain to people that you are a professional thug model..... lol.

Jan 12 06 08:31 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

michelle_d wrote:
The character is called the 'letter carrier of good and evil' smile I think I can have a lot of fun with this. The trick is to appear good and evil at the same time: both approachable and treacherous.

Could be a nightmare because you're a person in your own right trying to live up to the artistic picture in the photographers head and these can be incompletely concieved, ambiguous or hard to translate into real direction. I know that I don't deal well with ambiguity. But then again one could have fun with it. I think that you'd be good or evil in turns depending upon what sort of letter you were delivering. Sounds like it's tantamount to being the stork AND the grim reaper.

Jan 12 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

michelle_d wrote:

Thanks. I guess I'll do my research before posting again smile

Portraying anyone but yourself is character modeling.  Doesn't matter whether they're real or fictional.  If you're in a play about Cinderella and you are Cinderella, you're portraying a CHARACTER, no difference.

Jan 12 06 08:47 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

michelle_d wrote:
what a great site! how would you explain to people that you are a professional thug model..... lol.

Yeah I really liked that page. Looks like the outer office when they're casting a guy ritchie film. In fact I think that at least one of those guys WAS in a guy ritchie film!

Jan 12 06 08:58 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:

I'd just call it modeling.

Jan 13 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:

Incorrect. Those are, in the industry, called 'type models', not 'character models'.

Character models are what we have been discussing so far: an alternate personality brought 'to life' by wardrobe, posture, accessories, a certain skill, etc. A character model can developed based on a type, but a character model is not simply a type model. The purpose of a character model is to define a unique and novel character.

A great example of a character model is Kill Bill's "The Bride": a somewhat gaunt but athletic blonde woman with a lot of attitude, wearing a yellow track-suit (a nod to Bruce Lee in Game of Death), and holding a Katana-styled sword. This is a character that has been been defined and marketed to the point that you can wear the accoutrements as a costume on Halloween and people can say "Hey... you're the Bride!"

Type models, on the other hand, meet specific criteria for a generic 'type' (or a specific celebrity outside of a specific role) that ellicits recognition based on familiarity: i.e. the grandma type, the skateboarder dude type, the awkward chubby guy type, the sleazy lounge rat type, a Schwarzenegger type or an Uma Thurman type, etc.

Note that if you get more specific in terms of definition (i.e. no longer a body-building former-actor-turned-politician with a goofy smile and a teutonic accent, but Schwarzenegger as Conan, or Schwarzenegger as Terminator), then you're no longer talking about a type, you're back to a character.

Jan 13 06 04:34 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I feel like I create a new character every time I shoot.  It's part of why I do it. smile  Less time consuming than film or (especially) theater by far.

Jan 13 06 05:41 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

To get away from the nomenclature and back to the essence of the original question, my suggestion is to focus less on what you look like, and more on how you feel.  Do it from the inside out, and the outside will reflect the appropriate look.  Practice tapping into the kinds of emotions you'll need, at will, and see if you can call them up when you need them and actually feel them - and hence, feel the character.  If you have any acting buddies I'd ask them what kinds of exercises actors do in that regard, I think you'd find them very helpful.

Jan 13 06 05:49 pm Link

Model

avie

New York, New York, US

Cindy Sherman might be the example you are looking for. Google her name or go into any major museum

Jan 14 06 09:01 am Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

You might want to talk to the photographer more about the intended character to make certain that you have the right idea.  He may want demented, and you may put out demure.  And this isn't exactly a well-known character that already has pre-set mannerisms, so learning more about it would make things easier on your part.

Jan 14 06 09:38 am Link