Forums > Newbie Forum > How much should you charge for a porfolio shoot?

Photographer

Kronos Photography

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I am starting to do more portolio shoots for models. What are the fees that a photographer charges for their work? What is a typical package that a photographer would provide for a model?

I would be interested in hearing what other photographers charge for services. I want to focus on helping new models create their image and porfolio, do some photo touchup (limited), provide a comp card, 2 or 3 poses at different locations/outfits, CD with photos. I have a package I want to offer, but just need to get an idea of what other photographers offer and price.

I don't want to continue giving away my photography (TFCD/Photos), but do not want to ovr price my services either. I want to be fair and reasonable in what I ask.

Thanks for your input.

Jan 26 08 04:08 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Iris - Stylist

Dallas, Texas, US

I've seen it from $100-$1200. The $1200 weren't very good, and the $100 were some of the best.

Jan 26 08 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Image Makers Inc

North Providence, Rhode Island, US

I charge by the hour, the prints selected by the models are priced depending on the size image they are looking for, there are 8.5x11 books and the more standard 9x12.
I don't recommend to any model to shoot her portfolio with just one photographer, some shooters have a particular style ( I don't ) so at one point the book might not have the variety a models is looking for

Jan 26 08 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

You shouldn't charge anything for Portfolio shoots, there's no money in it.  Most of the people who shoot for their portfolios will NEVER be real models and will never have real cash...

Trying to make a living by shooting portfolios is like trying to get paid by the homeless...

Good Luck.

Jan 26 08 04:46 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

ive heard this before and i am sure it is true however the times are a changing, it is possable to create a demand for somthing special and that would render a cost, who knows what markets will arise from the internet meets the digital camera age and what technologys will bring forth.

Jan 26 08 04:55 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

i worked out a stratagy where each image is a set cost the model chooses the image and pays me, i edit the image and email it to her that day, if a mua or Wd stylest or any other resourse is needed I apply a flat rate to cover cost. ive been doing this all of a week and have allready made some money

Jan 26 08 04:57 am Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Littlerock, California, US

The only way to make any steady money on portfolio shoots is hooking up with the agencies and shooting their new faces for a reasonable rate.  It varies from agency to agency but generally here in L.A, it's $300 to $500 for 3 looks.  One look is usually the clean natural look or polaroids then it is up to you according to what the agency says she needs, her look - commercial or high fashion, etc...  Trying to make money on MM is a lot of work for very few good results - meaning very few resulting in pay.  smile  Good luck.

Jan 26 08 04:57 am Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Hamza wrote:
You shouldn't charge anything for Portfolio shoots, there's no money in it.  Most of the people who shoot for their portfolios will NEVER be real models and will never have real cash...

Trying to make a living by shooting portfolios is like trying to get paid by the homeless...

Good Luck.

Thats funny... and sad but true.

But if you are reasoning out the amount of pay for models from agenies and not those here on MM, then I would start with a range of $350 to $500 for starters...without make-up and styling.  I did this many years ago... and ended making $750 for this kind of stuff.  But remember, "A whole portfolio"... I only shot 4 to 6 looks and it was usually for a new Zed/Promo card for a model and sometimes for models who changed their hair length.  So how many images make up a portfolio... you'll most likely be shooting digitally and think about all that work on the back end ... retouching, making CDs etc....What's your time worth here?
Back then, I got the film to the lab and left it there so the models can just edit it themselve and order prints and when all was finished I got the film back...remember you own the copyrights and the film.  So it really was much easier and much more fun with shooting film.  Now doing all this requires more then just a day of shooting for you.  Think about it.

So good luck,
PixelFisher

Jan 26 08 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

You may want to start off in the $150 to $250 range.  Get a few portfolios done and then raise the rate with experience.  This way you can build your book with paid images to which people will value more if you say you were paid to shoot it rather than TFCD.  Those who say there is no money in shooting portfolios either are not getting many bookings or have no reality of the photography business.  I have been paid to shoot portfolios for years....have done very well with it...with and without being aligned with an agency

Jan 26 08 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Pro Images of Atlanta wrote:
You may want to start off in the $150 to $250 range.  Those who say there is no money in shooting portfolios either are not getting many bookings or have no reality of the photography business.  I have been paid to shoot portfolios for years....have done very well with it...with and without being aligned with an agency

This is what I'm talking about! 

I won't even get out of bed for that kind of chump change!

I've been in business for 20 years, $250 is not real money...then again I'm in NYC not Atlanta...

Jan 26 08 05:50 am Link

Photographer

PhotoPower

Elmsdale, Nova Scotia, Canada

Hamza wrote:

Good Luck.

Wiser words have not been heard! W

Jan 26 08 06:37 am Link