Forums > General Industry > oh Dear, inflated egos.

Wardrobe Stylist

Katalina Daer

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Okay, as some of you are aware in currently living in Sydney, so the background for tihs story is that i worked with this model last year in Melbourne and we kept in touch (well she wanted to) anyway. We caught up yesterday, so naturally she started to talk about her career. She was showing me her new folio which was mostly tacky "cheerleading" shots. This girl is 5'3'' and not the most attractive of people, well i guess what im getting at is that shes "mens magazine" material, meaning that it doesnt matter what she looks like so long as shes got what a girl shoudl have. (No offense to girls who love this modelling, its a valid form..but let me continue...)

Now, this chick starts telling me how I should mention her to people for runway work, she seroiusly thinks she can headline a show. So now im thinking..jeez, err how do i give some advice, so i say "maybe you should get more fashion shots in your folio?" and she kind of got a little offended. Shes an amature who doesnt understand the different forms of modelling. How on earth do i tell her she really cant do runway?

Jan 11 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Katalina Daer wrote:
Okay, as some of you are aware in currently living in Sydney, so the background for tihs story is that i worked with this model last year in Melbourne and we kept in touch (well she wanted to) anyway. We caught up yesterday, so naturally she started to talk about her career. She was showing me her new folio which was mostly tacky "cheerleading" shots. This girl is 5'3'' and not the most attractive of people, well i guess what im getting at is that shes "mens magazine" material, meaning that it doesnt matter what she looks like so long as shes got what a girl shoudl have. (No offense to girls who love this modelling, its a valid form..but let me continue...)

Now, this chick starts telling me how I should mention her to people for runway work, she seroiusly thinks she can headline a show. So now im thinking..jeez, err how do i give some advice, so i say "maybe you should get more fashion shots in your folio?" and she kind of got a little offended. Shes an amature who doesnt understand the different forms of modelling. How on earth do i tell her she really cant do runway?

Maybe as a gag you should give her some job apps for  runway work at the airport...  You know - for the ones that put food on planes and wave two flashlights around..

Jan 11 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

KC foto

VAN NUYS, California, US

depends on how much you value her friendship and how blunt you want to be....can you say it in a nice way? maybe just suggest she gets more fashion shots in her portfolio before she begins looking for runway work...or perhaps point her in the direction of a photographer you think could do her some justice....
or if honesty doesn't suit you just smile and nod and say "i'll see what i can do" this might be the most diplomatic choice, despite the fact that sometimes it really feels good to deflate a unwarranted ego.

good luck!

Jan 11 06 06:57 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

Rather than burst a bubble, maybe you could find a single piece of helpful advice that would send her on her way in a positive direction.

I would suggest becoming a part of fashion presentations that are hosted by mall department stores since there are plenty of petite niche lines that are sold by department stores and independents to cover the high price of mall leases and create excitement around the store by developing weekend crowds. 

It's still selling clothes, which afterall what all fashion modeling is, selling product.

In terms of height, if she is proportional, there is always a chance to work for a petite designer as a fit model, which though entry level can lead to other avenues such as sales or purchasing.

That's two obvious ideas in my mind...  There's something to be said for pragmatism and Tim Gunn would call it "Make it Work Time"

Jan 11 06 07:04 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Katalina Daer

yeah, this girl is more of an annoying htign that wont go away. But i consider myself a nice person. She really truly believes this, i honestly cant think how someone could think they can do runway when they are the type of "model" that they are.

Maybe i will just smile and nod. But what annoyed me was at the cafe she started flirting with the waiter and told him she was a model.. shes that kind of chick.

Jan 11 06 07:06 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

There's always the Taffy Puller, for anyone who saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...smile

Jan 11 06 07:06 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Katalina Daer

Dave the design student wrote:
There's always the Taffy Puller, for anyone who saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...smile

hahaha, mad.

Jan 11 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Katalina Daer wrote:
yeah, this girl is more of an annoying htign that wont go away. But i consider myself a nice person. She really truly believes this, i honestly cant think how someone could think they can do runway when they are the type of "model" that they are.

Maybe i will just smile and nod. But what annoyed me was at the cafe she started flirting with the waiter and told him she was a model.. shes that kind of chick.

I had two friends at one time who used to introduce themselves as a model, an actor and me as "just the photographer" when we went out anytime anyone ever came up or within earshot. I was annoyed because at the time time, I was headlining  a theater production and an indie feature....while they were not really as into it as I was, they were more for show. They were also several years younger than me.

THen one day, the guy that they were talking to turned to me and said (and I quote), "Wow, you are really gorgeous, are you sure you're not the model here?"

I got a laugh out of that one, but very tactfully turned it back towards the two who were with me.

They ended up not being my friends for too much longer, they thought I was stuck up.

Jan 11 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

Maybe as a gag you should give her some job apps for  runway work at the airport...  You know - for the ones that put food on planes and wave two flashlights around..

lol

Jan 11 06 08:06 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Katalina Daer wrote:

Give her this site address: http://www.newmodel.com
And let a REAL professional tell and show her the truth about the modeling industry. wink

Jan 11 06 08:09 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

Wow, that was harsh!
♀

Jan 11 06 08:10 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

Oh, giving her some links might be a good idea. Just tell her you've found them really helpful or something.

Jan 11 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Katalina Daer wrote:
...But i consider myself a nice person. She really truly believes this, i honestly cant think how someone could think they can do runway when they are the type of "model" that they are...

Being "nice" does not much for anyone but keep the peace. If you offer any advice at all it should be a simple "get real". Not sure why everyone thinks this is such an insult. There are maybe a few thousand models worldwide who will earn a runway spot in any show in any given year. Supporting these kinds of fantasies does not help anyone.

Jan 11 06 11:04 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

maybe you could have another model friend go in with you on this one...If you are close buddies with a fashion model in the area, maybe you and her could simply talk to the previously mentioned model about the industry. The true fashion model can bring along her port, and show some of the shots that her agency had her put in. Then, you can suggest that the before mentioned model try to work with a professional photographer to achieve some similar shots. If this model is truly intelligent and understanding, then maybe she will learn from the experience. It's always worth a shot.

Jan 11 06 11:04 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am NOT a model. No really, I am not. I don't know why all these people keep wanting to take pictures of me.

Jan 11 06 11:07 pm Link

Model

Melissa Brouard

Hollywood, Alabama, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

Jan 11 06 11:15 pm Link

Model

Melissa Brouard

Hollywood, Alabama, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

hahaha!!!!  I

Jan 11 06 11:15 pm Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

She's 5'3".  I don't think it is unkind to inform a short model of the reality of the business.  There are no models of that height that have a career as a runway model .

Jan 11 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Give her a list of a few agents and send her around to them. They will give her the bad news in double quick time.

Studio36

Jan 12 06 12:47 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Katalina Daer

Rebecca Alsbury wrote:
maybe you could have another model friend go in with you on this one...If you are close buddies with a fashion model in the area, maybe you and her could simply talk to the previously mentioned model about the industry. The true fashion model can bring along her port, and show some of the shots that her agency had her put in. Then, you can suggest that the before mentioned model try to work with a professional photographer to achieve some similar shots. If this model is truly intelligent and understanding, then maybe she will learn from the experience. It's always worth a shot.

lol, That sounds like a good idea, but alas, im a sad one, all my close model friends are in Italy and South Africa, lol.

But I will have to tell this aussie girl whats up with this business.

Jan 12 06 01:33 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Hello from humid horrid Sydney wink

Just be upfront with her. As a petite model type thing in Sydney, I can tell you it's pretty much impossible to get any paid runway work. If she wants to work for free, then she can probably get a gig with the local fashion colleges or the university when they have their year end parades.

I get my runway work through the alternative scene, but that's not for everyone. She doesn't sound like the 'alt' type either smile

She will learn on her own in the end. After she gets knocked back a few times with a very harsh "You're too short" from the caster - she'll get the idea.

Jan 12 06 01:49 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Yeah, send her the netmodel link.  Or send her here to talk to us. wink

To be fair though, I'm 5'2" and I do several fashion shows per year.  They're usually not paid though, heh.

Jan 12 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lapis wrote:
I am NOT a model. No really, I am not. I don't know why all these people keep wanting to take pictures of me.

That's why. We figure if you think you're not a model, you'll be more likely to do what we want.

M

Jan 12 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Katalina Daer wrote:
How on earth do i tell her she really cant do runway?

"Honey, you really can't do runway."

That should be sufficent.

If you fear sounding condescending, take out the "honey" part.

Jan 12 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
"Honey, you really can't do runway."

That should be sufficent.

If you fear sounding condescending, take out the "honey" part.

If you value her friendship tell her the truth.. if you dont value her friendship.. tell her the truth.. I have found that most people will respect you more and get over hurt feelings quicker if you are upfront with them and beat around the bush or lead them on by not giving them the real deal

Jan 12 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

If she can't handle even a nice suggestion, I doubt she'll handle more blunt comments from agencies. She probably won't last long in the industry with an attitude.

Jan 12 06 08:09 pm Link