Forums > General Industry > Advice on Model Release Required

Photographer

Mark Davy-Jones

Ryde, England, United Kingdom

I am arranging a number of photo shoots with models on a TFP/CD basis. I like many of them are new to the business and have limited funds but we all need to build our portfolios. Once the shoot is over I will clean up the images and supply a CD (25 – 50 images) from which they can choose 5 that I will print in colour onto quality paper up to 10 x 8 size. Later I will take some of these images and work them up into one of my ‘painterly’ photos. If I think the finished works are good enough to sell I would like to run limited edition prints and advertise these through my website. In which case, should I have a model release in my possession? As I understand it, these are issued by the model on paid jobs only, so should I agree with the model at the onset of the project that if I publish any image from the shoot I will pay the model the fee that would have been if it were not a TFP shoot? Hope this makes sense and that you can throw some light on this little dilemma.

Jan 11 06 04:38 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

KiwiBikinis

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yes, get a release! It is always best to cover your behind under any circumstance, whether TFP or not.

Jan 11 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/search.gifDiscussed many times, try the Search Function at the bottom of the main forum page.

Jan 11 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Davy-Jones

Thanks guys, I'll check it out now

WOW - 41 Topics!

Jan 11 06 06:13 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

Basically create an agreement that two or more people support and put it on paper.  Now you have living proof that what was said was in fact said.  There is no such thing as a standard agreement, although there are standard model release forms you can copy and use as a basis or use outright.

Just remember that you don't need to complicate things uneccesarily.  Tha'ts why lawyers became lawyers and artists became artists.

Jan 11 06 06:48 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

KiwiBikinis

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hey now! No lawyer jokes, thank you very much!

Jan 11 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

KiwiBikinis wrote:
Hey now! No lawyer jokes, thank you very much!

Q: An honest politican, a nice lawyer and Santa Claus are in an elivator. At the same time they all notice a $5 bill laying on the floor. Who picks it up?

A: Santa Claus.... the other two don't exist.

[couldn't resist that one]

Studio36

Jan 12 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

ShotsByMate0

New York, New York, US

FeticheArt wrote:
I am arranging a number of photo shoots with models on a TFP/CD basis. I like many of them are new to the business and have limited funds but we all need to build our portfolios. Once the shoot is over I will clean up the images and supply a CD (25 – 50 images) from which they can choose 5 that I will print in colour onto quality paper up to 10 x 8 size. Later I will take some of these images and work them up into one of my ‘painterly’ photos. If I think the finished works are good enough to sell I would like to run limited edition prints and advertise these through my website. In which case, should I have a model release in my possession? As I understand it, these are issued by the model on paid jobs only, so should I agree with the model at the onset of the project that if I publish any image from the shoot I will pay the model the fee that would have been if it were not a TFP shoot? Hope this makes sense and that you can throw some light on this little dilemma.

Definetly get a release wether you plan to sell photos or not.
I got a copy of a release that a friend on mine used and I just added a few modifications, I suggest you do the same.

Jan 12 06 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Mark Davy-Jones

Thanks everyone, I've done my research now and I have release draft well under way.

Jan 14 06 04:23 pm Link