Forums > General Industry > If I only had wings....

Model

Madellyn

Dallas, Texas, US

If I only had wings then I fly around and work with everyone that I want to. There are a lot of great photographers and models on here, too bad I probably won't get to work with most of them.

It's so expensive to travel these days!!! How do people afford to travel to modeling jobs if they aren't being paid for the job? Do people do this?

Angela

Jan 11 06 11:17 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I'm going to get to go to New York this spring and shoot with a whole slew of phenomenal people that I never thought I'd get to.  It happened because a flight I was on to LA was overbooked, and I gave up my seat.  The reward was a free round trip ticket anywhere in the continental US.  A model out in NY has offered to let me stay at her place, and voila!  An affordable trip.

In other words, for me at least so far it's been complete and total dumb luck.

Jan 11 06 11:23 am Link

Model

Madellyn

Dallas, Texas, US

Hmmm...dumb luck...I guess that means I need to start scratching lottery tickets then.smile

Jan 11 06 11:27 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I plan roadtrips with friends in areas where I want to shoot. We split the cost of hotels and gas. Then I have them take me to my destination while they play tourist for the day. I just make sure I find things for my friends to do while I'm shooting.
Examples the zoo, shopping, shows...
Has proved to be successful so far and it keeps me from having to travel long distances alone.

Jan 11 06 11:39 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Envy wrote:
I plan roadtrips with friends in areas where I want to shoot. We split the cost of hotels and gas. Then I have them take me to my destination while they play tourist for the day. I just make sure I find things for my friends to do while I'm shooting.
Has proved to be successful so far and it keeps me from having to travel long distances alone.

Does that mean you're coming out West soon?  smile

Jan 11 06 11:52 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Shyly wrote:

Does that mean you're coming out West soon?  smile

I'm actually responding to your private note this moment pertaining to that subject. smile

Jan 11 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Envy wrote:

I'm actually responding to your private note this moment pertaining to that subject. smile

-tries not to act all excited by assuming a possibility, thus sounding like a little boy who sees something he really likes but isnt allowed to make a single peep and quietly says-
Email me, Envy

Jan 11 06 11:59 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
-tries not to act all excited by assuming a possibility, thus sounding like a little boy who sees something he really likes but isnt allowed to make a single peep and quietly says-
Email me, Envy

You're silly. smile
Funny your name was mentioned in my message to Shyly. What I told her was, driving there was a bit unlikely. BUT if I could pull a few photographers together that had a desire to work together and they all pitched in say $25 here and there I could cover the remaining cost of flying. The only downfall to this would be getting people who wanted to shoot together within a certain area, because California is such a big state and I would be without a vehicle.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Jan 11 06 12:22 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I know several in the area who I am sure would pitch in something.  I'll include them in my reply. 

Come to think of it, why am I not just replying?  Er.  'Scuse me.

Jan 11 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Envy wrote:

Thanks for the idea Envy...I posted it in my cost saving tips thread. big_smile

Jan 11 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

amh06 wrote:
If I only had wings then I fly around and work with everyone that I want to. There are a lot of great photographers and models on here, too bad I probably won't get to work with most of them.

It's so expensive to travel these days!!! How do people afford to travel to modeling jobs if they aren't being paid for the job? Do people do this?

Angela

Drink Red Bull...it'll give you wings!

Jan 11 06 12:37 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

raveneyes wrote:
Thanks for the idea Envy...I posted it in my cost saving tips thread. big_smile

Hoorah! I knew I was good for something.

Jan 11 06 12:37 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

When I go to places like NY I stay with a photographer who is quite gracious. A model would be good as well.

I dont test but I would guess that it would be benificial for a model that does test to sacrifice a plane ticket for phenominal photos.

Ask models/photographers in the area you are staying in if they know any models or photographers that wouldnt mind you staying with them for a few days.

Jan 11 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

So many pretty girls, so little time.

I feel your pain.

Jan 11 06 12:47 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

The most 'successful' art models I know do nothing but travel. They go from workshop to workshop, photographer to photographer, and book like crazy.

They get one person to pay for plane ticket, another to help with lodgings, and a few others to pay. Then, if they have the time, they may test with one or two phenomenal people in the area.

However, most people are either not cut out for that, or do not fit the requirements of a professional art model. (physically flexible and in reasonably good shape, mentally and emotionally strong, and willing to work loooooong hours in all kinds of climates, mainly for the opportunity to travel.)

I do not have the youth or freedom(a serious relationship is pretty hard to maintain if you are on the road all the time) to be a full-time art model, so I try and find 5 or 6 locations a year, and then get 5 or more photographers to book me in a week. Then, I can test with one or two others.

Jan 11 06 12:53 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

amh06 wrote:
How do people afford to travel to modeling jobs if they aren't being paid for the job? Do people do this?

I know a few models who do travel and work only with phenomenal photographers for trade....in general, they have lots of money at their disposal. They did not make this money from modelling. They were either born into it, married into it, or *gasp* earned it from their regular paying jobs (think lawyers, stock market traders, etc, who want to work with artists, and have the money to have it as a hobby....)

Jan 11 06 12:54 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lapis wrote:
I do not have the youth or freedom(a serious relationship is pretty hard to maintain if you are on the road all the time) to be a full-time art model, so I try and find 5 or 6 locations a year, and then get 5 or more photographers to book me in a week.

This is exactly what I do. Amongst local work I try to stay as busy as I can for a working mom and planning a wedding wink

Jan 11 06 01:11 pm Link

Model

Sexiest Carly

Los Angeles, California, US

Im'age NY (INY) wrote:

Drink Red Bull...it'll give you wings!

LMAO

Jan 11 06 01:35 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

For those of us not lucky enough to get the high-paying supermodel gigs, we have to finance our hobbies with a regular dayjob. wink

I'm personally signed up for all airlines' fare special newsletters.  If I see cheap fare to a location I want to go to, I contact photographers, makeup artists, and wardrobe stylists there to see if I can arrange enough (in my case, TFP) work to make the trip worth my time.  If I do, then I buy tickets.

Jan 11 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

If you had wings... your forum post wouldnt be here.  Your feathers would be unable to depress keys on your keyboard, and even if they could, your message would make little or no sense at all... as your brain would be the size of a pea... AKA... you'd be a bird girl.  Count your blessings and thank God you're a model... wink

Jan 11 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Oh, I thought this was about pics of models wearing those angel wings...I still have those nightmares...

Jan 12 06 07:17 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

amh06 wrote:

Angela

they drink red bull .....cause it gives you wings...

Jan 12 06 07:19 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

if a frog had wings, it wouldnt scrape his ass when he jumped.

Jan 12 06 09:07 am Link

Photographer

ChrisChris

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

yes. wings would be great.

Jan 12 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

I think Im just a lazy bastard, but teleportation is better since you don't have to waste hours and hours flying with wings.

Jan 12 06 08:03 pm Link