Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

gross!

Don't do that.

Jan 10 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I agree.  I see so many fakes. I am usually like " Oh cmon, like you were actually in FHM/Playboy and happened to get the cover last month."

Jan 10 06 02:35 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

seconded.

Jan 10 06 02:35 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

It's just as bad when they admit that it's fake. It's like, come on, what's the point??

Jan 10 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Who did it???

Jan 10 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

It also reminds me of when you would go to the theme park and that photo booth that had all sorts of magazine covers they could superimpose over your face superimposed over a models body,lol.

Jan 10 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

TR PHOTO

Los Angeles, California, US

lol- I've seen some impressive fakes ads !

Jan 10 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Hahahaha  They had that in one of those Hotels on the strip in Vegas, with all the mag covers,  and there was a damn Line of people waiting for pics.......?

Jan 10 06 03:01 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Monsante Bey wrote:
Who did it???

Nope...not telling! wink

Jan 10 06 04:18 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Quite sad.

Jan 10 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Gallegos

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I'll admit I have done it but only for clients who request it. I know it sound corny but hey they paid for it. I know what you mean about the line in Vegas I was tempted to do it our State fair. Quick easy money.. thats all. I don't knock anything that pays the bills.

Jan 10 06 05:43 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Dan Gallegos wrote:
I'll admit I have done it but only for clients who request it. I know it sound corny but hey they paid for it. I know what you mean about the line in Vegas I was tempted to do it our State fair. Quick easy money.. thats all. I don't knock anything that pays the bills.

But did you post it in your portfolio??

Jan 10 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

I have real ads and tear sheets.  The problem is that they are boring!  (I do a lot of product photography.)

Nice new pics, Ms. Tara.

Jan 10 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

Agreed!  Motion carries over for a vote by the full House...

; )

-T-

Jan 10 06 07:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

they can be found all over Model Mayham...I'm not going to out anyone but here are som handy dandy tips to finding fakes smile

1)The model in the ad looks like a web model

2) professional makeup and styling are not evident

3) the portfolio is full of mostly crap....5 TFPs and a Dior ad.   

4) The photographer has an ad for Guess, MAC, etc and they are posting about TFP.

5) The photographer is strangly quiet about his great tear...no mention of who did what on the ad, he is silent when asked specific questions about the ad...like "wow, who did makeup on that"  he just fails to reply.

Jan 10 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lund Photography

Puyallup, Washington, US

*vent*

This rates close to your local shooters who shoot for 'magazines' that never appear in actual PRINT (just some internet.com site). And when you inquire about their publisher and such, you get snubbed as "hating" or trying to horn in on their great opportunity..

Models.. That is NOT A TEAR SHEET. A tear sheet is just simply that. If you goto a newspaper stand (or a PRINTED magazine, calander, etc), and can buy it and rip a page out of it.. THAT is a tear sheet!

*end vent*

Jan 10 06 08:49 pm Link

Model

Andrea Leigh

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Lund Photography wrote:
*vent*
A tear sheet is just simply that. If you goto a newspaper stand (or a PRINTED magazine, calander, etc), and can buy it and rip a page out of it.. THAT is a tear sheet!

*end vent*

Oooh you beat me to it! I'm sick of that misconception. It wouldn't be called a tear if you couldn't tear it. Printing a screen shot of the website doesn't count either.

I myself put the words 'featured model' instead of tearsheet under a photo that is FEATURED on a website.

(On a funny side note, this makes me think of Zoolander... the files are IN the computer=I have a tearsheet from a website)

Jan 10 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Andrea Savvides wrote:
Oooh you beat me to it! I'm sick of that misconception. It wouldn't be called a tear if you couldn't tear it. Printing a screen shot of the website doesn't count either.

I myself put the words 'featured model' instead of tearsheet under a photo that is FEATURED on a website.

(On a funny side note, this makes me think of Zoolander... the files are IN the computer=I have a tearsheet from a website)

Sometimes terminology needs changing. Naomi Jay was in an ad on AIM Today for Voice over IP, is it less valid because it's online?

My favorite is websites created for the sole purpose of giving a model a "tearsheet" or feature - you know, something like "Bob's horny site Model of the Month/Week/Day/Hour". Another favorite of mine is the online magazines. Yea, there are some legitimate ones but most are the creation of photographers or others to attract models with the promise of a tear.

Jan 11 06 05:16 am Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

A very odd trend... I don't get it.

Jan 11 06 05:33 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Andrea Savvides wrote:

I'm extremely sick of it too! "It wouldn't be called a tear if you couldn't tear it" - haha, that's perfectly said....

O man o man.... you'll love this - the other night I was just browsing MM when I saw some midwestern girl do something that will crack you up.... (Now I wish I had bookmarked it!!!!!)

One of her pictures is a perfectly normal picture from a perfectly normal photoshoot.
Nothing horrible, but still, the picture is nothing outstanding.

The only reason I clicked on it was because there were like 7 or 8 comments on it and she had no comments on the other pictures.

Underneath the picture it says, "NINE WEST'S BIG AD CAMPAIGN, 2006" -- I think she had WORLDWIDE in there somewhere too, but I couldn't swear on it, hehe...... (I think it was Nine West, some kind of shoe carried in Filene's, JCPenny's or a store along that line.)

Someone asked her in the comments where the ad could be seen, and she said that they didn't run ad's anywhere. (What kind of company would pay to shoot an ad and then not run it? hm... besides, I'm sure the company she listed DOES run ad's. lol) Someone else then asked her why there was no text on the photo. She said that Nine West (or whatever shoe company it was) did not use any pictures that her and the photographer shot.

hahaha, OK, to me - that was just so funny. If someone wants to be a sicko (sorry, lol) & make up some tearsheets so they look like they are booking work, then for God's sake, DON'T say "Oh, yeah well, that company that hired me? Yeah, they don't even run ad's." Because chances are, the people you are trying to impress have more then three or four brain cells and will quickly realize that if a company does not run ads... well, then they prolly didn't hire you to be in one.

Sheesh. Sometimes these people make me wonder.......... lol

Betcha we could make a lot of money writing this book: "How to be a model without ever leaving your desk." hahaha.

Rachel

PS Andrea... your avatar is so pretty!

Jan 11 06 05:50 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

And this is why web models get a bad name.

Jan 11 06 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Monsante Bey wrote:
And this is why web models get a bad name.

As well as web photographers.  I've seen a lot more crappy photographers put them in their portfolios than crappy models.

Jan 11 06 07:02 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Mary wrote:
3) the portfolio is full of mostly crap....5 TFPs and a Dior ad.

This is one of my pet peeves here...

Jan 11 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

As well as web photographers.  I've seen a lot more crappy photographers put them in their portfolios than crappy models.

oh hell naw. lol

Jan 11 06 05:30 pm Link

Model

Ariette

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

One thing that I've noticed on the mayhem is model as well as photographers that list the work they've done and ads they've done, but have nothing to show for it.  Especially, big ad companies, and when you click to see their portfolio all you see is a bunch of TFPs and barely to no ads.  Sad but true.

Jan 12 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

this is too funny

Jan 12 06 08:16 am Link

Model

TabooFitnessModel

Chicago, Illinois, US

I agree with Lund...I have seen many people post a website saying that is a tear...it is not!  If a model wants to post an accomplishment like that it is considered a "Feature" or could be part of a website "Contest."

A tearsheet is something physical in hand that you can tear from something.  Hence "Tear Sheet."

Donna

Jan 12 06 12:27 pm Link

Model

TabooFitnessModel

Chicago, Illinois, US

I do a lot of "Promotional Modeling" around the Chicago area for a Promotional Company.   Since MM is limited to each person's space means I cannot post my Event paperwork to show the work I have done.  The most important thing a model can do is keep all the documentation for the stuff she has done or tearsheets she is in...I keep a nice folder of such stuff and do actually have a 2006 calendar in there showing me on the cover and in the months March, and September in case somebody want to see such proof...for more modeling work.  That is the most important thing.

Donna :-D

Jan 12 06 12:34 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

haha I definitely thought you meant fakes TEARS (like crying) and couldn't understand why you'd associate that with a mock ad.  I was about to say, "hey!  what about Man Ray" and then I realised what you guys were really referring to!  I don't get why models would use fake pictures or use someone else's pictures.  I mean, honestly, if you get hired based on being someone else, what are you going to do when you've been asked to do an ad and you're not the same as the person in your pictures!  Even a regular photo shoot or TFP shoot would be just as bad.

I could see why photographers would do that, especially if they were a flake.  That's one reason why I have a standard as to what kind of photographer I won't work with, which revolves greatly around his work, picture quality (I wont even think about it if it's grainy, or resembles a web cam), and his attitude.  I HATE it when photographers try to act really pushy with you and then tell you that they have plenty of other models to choose from, when they really don't, although that's a different topic all together.

Jan 12 06 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

If you are sad enough to put fake tears on your website, how are we supposed to know that anything on your site is real????

Jan 12 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Taboomodel wrote:
A tearsheet is something physical in hand that you can tear from something.  Hence "Tear Sheet."

Mostly, yes.  Galley proofs are also tears.  A couple of my models did screen captures from Nerve.Com and Stern.De and called them tears, too.  Whatever makes them happy, as long as it's real.

-Don

Jan 12 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

This is a little off subject but my personal favorite is when a model puts "Hooters Girl" under credits.

Eric Foltz

Jan 12 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

I was working with a model who wanted a shot where she was  crying.
I used glycerin to put some fake tears on her cheeks with an eye dropper.

Jan 13 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Bill Gunter wrote:
I was working with a model who wanted a shot where she was  crying.
I used glycerin to put some fake tears on her cheeks with an eye dropper.

I usually just make her cry naturally.  It's a talent...

-Don

Jan 13 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

I find it ill and completely a telltale that the creator is a fraud!

Funny enough... there is a major known photographer here that has in the past used a FAKE "Vogue Australia" cover to promote themself... as well they constantly bloat images shot of stars for little jobs as if they were booked for something major!  And more... they even have a "MOCKED UP" hair/cosmetics "add" in their portfolio now!  LOL!!!

Image sells... even if it is bogus.  The bigger the lie... the more people will believe!!!

Jan 14 06 03:32 am Link