Forums > Newbie Forum > Models tipping photographers... any thoughts?

Model

Ashley Crabtree Mammano

Seattle, Washington, US

I am new to Model Mayhem and have found the people and forums on here to be very helpful, especially the Newbie "Do's and Don'ts."

There is one subject I haven't found a lot of information on, and that is models tipping photographers for a TPF/CD shoot. The thought would have never crossed my mind, but recently a photographer mentioned in a casting I read that "tips were appreciated for a job well done."

As I read that, I got a sinking feeling because it had never occurred to me to tip photographers, and am wondering if I should have! I plan on scheduling many more TFP/CD shoots in the future, and am hoping to get some feedback on this so I can avoid a faux pas, if this is indeed one.

Thank you to anyone who responds!

Jan 20 08 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Ashley Crabtree wrote:
There is one subject I haven't found a lot of information on, and that is models tipping photographers for a TPF/CD shoot. The thought would have never crossed my mind, but recently a photographer mentioned in a casting I read that "tips were appreciated for a job well done."

The thought has never crossed my mind either, and the only "tip" I would give that photographer is to stop spewing such BS.

Photographers belong to the tip-exempt professional class, unless perhaps they are working a cruise ship or public event.

Jan 20 08 04:02 pm Link

Model

Kennedy Deshawn

Chicago, Illinois, US

besides cookies or lunch or something, I don't know if it's necessary.  You are working as well, that's why it's a trade.

Jan 20 08 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

And when we do get tipped. memory cards, lenses, Pocket Wizards, etc. fall from our pockets.

Jan 20 08 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Moraga, California, US

I have received many compliments and emotional thank you's, but never a tip. However, I have tipped models, well actually I have surprised them with monetary tips such as giving them unexpected gas money when they were leaving, christmas gift cards as a thank you and things like that.

If you never offered a tip to a photographer don't worry it's not expected, but certainly would put you in great standing with me if you ever did. Good Luck!

Jan 20 08 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Ashley Crabtree wrote:
"tips were appreciated for a job well done."

LOL I hope he was joking.

Jan 20 08 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Edward Foge Photography wrote:
I have received many compliments and emotional thank you's, but never a tip. However, I have tipped models, well actually I have surprised them with monetary tips such as giving them unexpected gas money when they were leaving, christmas gift cards as a thank you and things like that.

If you never offered a tip to a photographer don't worry it's not expected, but certainly would put you in great standing with me if you ever did. Good Luck!

Depending on the photographer, an offer of a cash tip could be seen as anything from insulting to highly flattering, and the tipper would not find out until it was too late.

Jan 20 08 04:11 pm Link

Model

Dazey

Clearwater, Florida, US

in my opinion, and a few of my photographers opinions, to tip on a TFP shoot is silly..  you are in a mutual trade agreement.. 

i guess tip them if they tip you..  ??  lol  20% of nothing.

Jan 20 08 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

Never had a model tip me, but this one came back by the studio with a fifth of Jack Daniels.

18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … id=4009741

Jan 20 08 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Moraga, California, US

I have never met a model who would turn down $20 to help for gas costs . . . especially with todays prices!

Jan 20 08 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tips are graciously accepted here, as long as they are brownies, cold beer, pretzels and the like. Or maybe sex? Seriously, it's a downright silly idea.

Jan 20 08 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Hank Shiffman

Mountain View, California, US

Personally, I'd be surprised if it happened.  I hope I'd be gracious if it did.  But I'd be more comfortable with a kind word and a recommendation or two.

Jan 20 08 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

MirrorImage Photography

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

Wow i must live on another planet!!!!!!!..... i've had several models tip me... (and yes, in dollars) and i've always appreciated it..... never asked for it, but always thought it was pretty cool.

Jan 20 08 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

LindoPhotography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't believe in tipping, but hey if someone wanted to tip me that would be nice.
I might have sort of asked for a tip, I've asked for a donation. Since I did a free shoot for a model who's paid $600 or more for other photographers who didn't produce photos as nice as mine. I think a donation might be in order smile

Jan 20 08 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Charleston, South Carolina, US

LindoPhotography wrote:
I don't believe in tipping, but hey if someone wanted to tip me that would be nice.
I might have sort of asked for a tip, I've asked for a donation. Since I did a free shoot for a model who's paid $600 or more for other photographers who didn't produce photos as nice as mine. I think a donation might be in order smile

hey i can think of something better than a tip or money, make them sincerely admit your photos were better LOL

Jan 20 08 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Outlaw Photography

Withee, Wisconsin, US

I got a $15 tip once, and a kind thank you note.  It was really nice.

God Bless,
Outlaw

Jan 20 08 04:21 pm Link

Model

Ashley Crabtree Mammano

Seattle, Washington, US

Thank you! This is all really good advice. It sounds like a pretty sensitive situation, and it would not be my intent to offend someone by either tipping or not. I think it's safe to say that if someone volunteers that tips are welcome, then bring it on. I might just stick to cookies and brownies, though...

Jan 20 08 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

If a model tried to tip me in cash, I'd politely refuse. I don't need it, and I've actually never heard of such a thing. If I agree to a trade shoot, it's a trade shoot. Period.

That said, if Ashley wanted to shoot with me (HINT) and tip me in cookies, I'd accept those in a heartbeat. But I'm easy that way.

Jan 20 08 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Even more reasons to feel inferior.  I have never been offered a tip.  LOL.

Jan 20 08 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Jan 20 08 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:
If a model tried to tip me in cash, I'd politely refuse. I don't need it, and I've actually never heard of such a thing. If I agree to a trade shoot, it's a trade shoot. Period.

That said, if Ashley wanted to shoot with me (HINT) and tip me in cookies, I'd accept those in a heartbeat. But I'm easy that way.

I  agree with you.  I would even bring milk.  Wish she was closer to me.

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I  agree with you.  I would even bring milk.  Wish she was closer to me.

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

QFT
Tipping a photographer is a ludicrous idea,so dismiss all thoughts of it. A gift of cookies for a job well done after you have recieved your prints/cd is always nice, BUT only if you feel it is justified and it should in no way be thought of as mandatory or expected.

Jan 20 08 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

ShotsByMate0

New York, New York, US

I only do TFF's (Time For Food)
I think that's fair...

Jan 20 08 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Dazey wrote:
in my opinion, and a few of my photographers opinions, to tip on a TFP shoot is silly..  you are in a mutual trade agreement.. 

i guess tip them if they tip you..  ??  lol  20% of nothing.

Photographer and model each tip the other $20?

Jan 20 08 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

is this the same as Cow Tipping?

Jan 20 08 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Z_Photo

Huntsville, Alabama, US

OP, give the photographer this tip:  be more professional in behavior

Jan 20 08 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Pearcy Photography

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I would not even accept a tip and I think it is incredibly unprofessional that someone would suggest it.
I have gotten many warm thanks, lots of tags after a shoot, some great recomendations to other models, and an occasional hug.

Jan 20 08 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Z_Photo wrote:
OP, give the photographer a tip:  be more professional in behavior

What's professional?

I don't know if asking for tips is as unprofessional as someone asking to do tfcd nudes and lingerie when they have a profile full of it - that isn't very well done.

Or someone telling other photographers to push the limits and stand up to the police all the time, and look for trouble.

Or a few other things...

How about this, isn't the internet unprofessional? I don't see a lot of big companies on here trying to find togs and models for national campaigns and stuff.

I don’t consider for one min that asking for a tip is unprofessional – it’s just different. But people do different things…

Another example, I give out all the pictures after the end of each shoot, and let models edit and retouch the shots if they want. I don’t give a shit, and at the same time I don’t consider that unprofessional.

In other words, people need to stop worrying about this and start worrying about taking pictures, jeeze.

Jan 20 08 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Long Island Studios

Sayville, New York, US

Ashley Crabtree wrote:
I am new to Model Mayhem and have found the people and forums on here to be very helpful, especially the Newbie "Do's and Don'ts."

As I read that, I got a sinking feeling because it had never occurred to me to tip photographers, and am wondering if I should have! I plan on scheduling many more TFP/CD shoots in the future, and am hoping to get some feedback on this so I can avoid a faux pas, if this is indeed one.

Thank you to anyone who responds!

One word, cookies and not that store bought crap!

Jan 20 08 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

PAD Productions

Houston, Texas, US

I gets hugs & thank yous a lot...but never $$. I wouldn't even accept it...I rather someone give me cookies or brownies smile

Jan 20 08 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bates

Austin, Texas, US

c_d_s wrote:
Never had a model tip me, but this one came back by the studio with a fifth of Jack Daniels.

18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … id=4009741

That's not a tip...that's a PARTY!! I did have one bring me a bottle of 1800 tequila...We had a blast after the shoot..LOL

Michael

Jan 20 08 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I once had a model bake me cookies during the shoot, and then she tipped me after the shoot with some mind-blowing nookie. Now that was a great tip!

(NB: Just to protect what little there is left of my reputation, the model was my wife, and the shot is in my portfolio - what did you think?)

Jan 20 08 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Moraga, California, US

Dreamshot Photography wrote:

QFT
Tipping a photographer is a ludicrous idea,so dismiss all thoughts of it. A gift of cookies for a job well done after you have recieved your prints/cd is always nice, BUT only if you feel it is justified and it should in no way be thought of as mandatory or expected.

It doesn't seem so ludicrous if the photographer is shooting film and has film, processing and post-production costs. But then again, this could be ironed out prior to the the shoot so everyone is "made whole".

Jan 20 08 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

Edward Foge Photography wrote:
It doesn't seem so ludicrous if the photographer is shooting film and has film, processing and post-production costs. But then again, this could be ironed out prior to the the shoot so everyone is "made whole".

I disagree, the model has gas/travel expenses, manicure, cosmetics, costume (even that pair of stockings you asked her to bring along costs $), her getting to your studio and in front of your camera looking good, does not come free for the model.

Sure, you have film costs, etc, but she has expenses as well - if you want to avoid the film processing costs, don't shoot the model, but don't expect her to pay for what should be your part of the trade arrangement.

Note for the OP -
Make sure all details of the TF arrangement are agreed beforehand and that it is indeed a trade shoot.
If the photographer then tries to change the deal on the day and ask you for money, then counter by quoting him an hourly modelling/travel rate.
Always remember, if he asked you to shoot in the first place, you are doing him/her just as much of a favor as they are doing you, thats why it is a trade.

Jan 21 08 12:47 am Link

Model

Laura Hopalong

Mobile, Alabama, US

Tip with surprise puppy chow.

Jan 21 08 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Not an MM member

i am not a bagger or a taxi driver from the middle east or a doorman.  if you want to be one of these guys go for it.  i am a guy with a camera.  girls shoot with me because either they are too dumb to ask their boyfriends to shoot them or too poor to buy a digital camera.  but the last thing i want would be a tip because you are not doing me any favor. i only shoot beautiful women.  it's a choice.  i want to shoot and hang with her.  she wants to model and hang with me. call it a friend thing. friends don't tip friends.  but you may have a different opinion. in that case, call yourself Ahmed and come around the corner and pick me up at the cab stand.

Jan 21 08 01:09 am Link

Model

Lexi Williams

Covington, Washington, US

OP remember that tfp is something that will BENEFIT YOUR PORTFILO AND THEIRS. In my opinion asking for tips is very unprofessional. Remember that everyone has a different idea of what makes a professional a professional. I have never tipped on a tfp (that’s kinda tacky sounding). I have paid a photographer when it was a shoot I wanted to hire him for. I have been paid for a shoot when the photographer/client hired
me.
Just make sure you understand the terms and conditions with a tfp shoot or any type of photo shoot. If you don’t agree with them or are uncomfortable just polity decline and move on.

Photographers are really sweet people. And when you have a successful shoot and all parties are happy and proud of the work, that’s a much better payment then tips. I also know that cookies and hugs go along way.

Jan 21 08 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

I've never been tipped but I have tipped models even if they didn't deserve it. I once tipped a model I canceled a shoot with.

Jan 21 08 01:10 am Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

I think of both models and photographers as professionals, never thought of a tip.  I have occasionally given a model $10 for gas or something to eat as they head home, when they are a poor student, that kind of thing.  That's not really a tip, but a sharing of expenses for a TFCD shoot.

Jan 21 08 01:13 am Link