Forums > General Industry > How to avoid being seen as a flake!

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

This applies equally to models, photographers, and MUA's, thus the posting under "General Mayhem":

1. If you are not interested in another's inquiry, you should at least read it so that sender knows you have looked at it. Unread messages give the impression that you seldomly visit here and are not that serious.

2. It is permissible IMHO to not respond if there is no interest, or send a brief explanation why you are not interested. If you respond with "no", make sure you are truly not interested and will remain that way in the future. Otherwise, it is best to not respond and leave the door open. Also acceptable would be a "not at this time but keep me in mind" response.

3. If you respond expressing interest, it is not the best time to walk away from your account and not check messages for a week! Expect a fast response and counter-respond quickly until things are set.

4. Answer calls if you gave a phone number! Check for voicemails.

5. If you have to cancel a committment, let the other party know as soon as possibe.

6. Confirm the day before the shoot.

7. The worst thing that can be done is to no-show and not give an explanation. This is a hard one to recover from! Perhaps you did it because of last-minute cold feet, but now you feel guilty and re-schedule only because you "owe". What are the chances of a satisfying shoot after that? If the other party is smart, they will only re-schedule with extreme caution.

8. Follow-up the same day of the next. Watch for and respond to messages!

9. Give prompt feedback on any preview images.

Jan 10 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

answer my communications..cool..

dont answer my communications, i will assume you have no interest...cool

show up when and where your supposed to and you'll never be a flake in my view..

Jan 10 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
answer my communications..cool..

dont answer my communications, i will assume you have no interest...cool

show up when and where your supposed to and you'll never be a flake in my view..

I agree... and there are some comments from the OP that i find very tru... dont give me a number to call if you dont answer when i call you.  If you have someone taking your messages make sure that you check in and call back when a message is left.

Jan 10 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

rp_photo wrote:
4. Answer calls if you gave a phone number!

A corollary to this:  If you don't get an answer, leave a message!  Not everyone can answer the phone 24 hours a day.

Jan 10 06 12:07 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
A corollary to this:  If you don't get an answer, leave a message!  Not everyone can answer the phone 24 hours a day.

Well I don't see why not.  You should be waiting breathlessly by the phone for my call at all times, Brian.

Jan 10 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Shyly wrote:

Well I don't see why not.  You should be waiting breathlessly by the phone for my call at all times, Brian.

Do do now that I know you...

But you remember the game of phone tag it took for us to finally shoot?  That indicated to me that you were not a flake.  smile

Jan 10 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

IDtenTANGO

Denton, Texas, US

I think that this is on-topic... if it's not, I'll ask somewhere else.

Considering setting and keeping appointments, how much advance time ought you (or, in practice, do you) have between the initial contact and actual shoot.

In my case, I'm in southern california right now, but will be moving to Texas in a few months, and looking for people to work with.  Is it 'flaky' to talk to people now, and try to set things up if I can't give specifics on dates and locations?  If you meet someone (online) that you'd like to work with, how often do you keep in contact just to keep in contact and keep the fledgling business relationship alive before actually scheduling something, without appearing over-eager with nothing to offer or, on the other hand, dismissive or forgetful?

Jan 10 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

ShotsByMate0

New York, New York, US

I hate flakes! 90% of my models are not from MM because I run into alot of flakes on here... Am I alone on this?

Jan 10 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

photoseen

Los Angeles, California, US

Something else to consider are not reading the AD. Whether it's for Pay or TFP...It is what it is. It's often time consuming to respond to people (that have applied) and they have a completely different idea.

Jan 10 06 01:21 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Along the phone issue...please make it a point to call...some of us aren't glued to our monitors and won't see a message or email for a few days.

Jan 10 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Call if you're running late.  It's just plain courtesy, people.

Don't wait until the very last minute to get directions and so forth if you need them.

Jan 10 06 01:30 pm Link

Model

I am done

Aldouane, New Brunswick, Canada

So if you cancel a shoot in a Decent amount of time, and for a good reason ... Then you aren't considered a Flake correct ?

Jessica Ryann

Jan 10 06 01:33 pm Link

Model

I am done

Aldouane, New Brunswick, Canada

Jessica Ryann wrote:
So if you cancel/rescedule a shoot in a Decent amount of time, and for a good reason ... Then you aren't considered a Flake correct ?

Jessica Ryann

Jan 10 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Jessica Ryann wrote:
So if you cancel a shoot in a Decent amount of time, and for a good reason ... Then you aren't considered a Flake correct ?

Jessica Ryann

A good reason and advance notice: OK

A good reason and short notice: OK

A questionable reason and advance notice: Maybe

A questionable reason and short notice: Flake!

Jan 10 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Jessica Ryann wrote:

Jessica Ryann

Correct.

Jan 10 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Digital Al wrote:
I hate flakes! 90% of my models are not from MM because I run into alot of flakes on here... Am I alone on this?

Al, you're not alone. I had a no call, no show recently. Worst thing a model can do! And she had THE WORST excuse I've ever heard. I obviously will never schedule a shoot with her again and if anyone asks me about her, I will tell them my thoughts.

There are plenty of flakes, but thank god there are scores of reputable, reliable models here.

Jan 10 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

How to avoid being seen as a flake?   Easy... show up at every booking you are scheduled for... and if you cant... PLEASE provide at least 24 hours notice.  It will ESPECIALLY look bad for you when there are several other models and photographers involved in your scheduled booking.  Failure to do so could easily get you labeled as a flakey model... and believe me when I tell you, with the rapid system of e-mail here at MM, combined with the forums and the shout box conversations I've witnessed, news WILL travel FAST when you flake out... wink

Jan 10 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

rp_photo wrote:
This applies equally to models, photographers, and MUA's, thus the posting under "General Mayhem":

1. If you are not interested in another's inquiry, you should at least read it so that sender knows you have looked at it. Unread messages give the impression that you seldomly visit here and are not that serious.

2. It is permissible IMHO to not respond if there is no interest, or send a brief explanation why you are not interested. If you respond with "no", make sure you are truly not interested and will remain that way in the future. Otherwise, it is best to not respond and leave the door open. Also acceptable would be a "not at this time but keep me in mind" response.

3. If you respond expressing interest, it is not the best time to walk away from your account and not check messages for a week! Expect a fast response and counter-respond quickly until things are set.

4. Answer calls if you gave a phone number! Check for voicemails.

5. If you have to cancel a committment, let the other party know as soon as possibe.

6. Confirm the day before the shoot.

7. The worst thing that can be done is to no-show and not give an explanation. This is a hard one to recover from! Perhaps you did it because of last-minute cold feet, but now you feel guilty and re-schedule only because you "owe". What are the chances of a satisfying shoot after that? If the other party is smart, they will only re-schedule with extreme caution.

8. Follow-up the same day of the next. Watch for and respond to messages!

9. Give prompt feedback on any preview images.

Great post! It's all about Courtesy and common sense.

Jan 10 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Keyronn wrote:
Great post! It's all about Courtesy and common sense.

That's really all I really said, albeit in a long-winded fashion!

Jan 10 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Blindfolds?

Jan 10 06 01:53 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Jan 10 06 01:59 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

As for flaky photographers:

To avoid being seen as one...do not start talking about a shoot to a model or stylist if you're not willing to finish the conversation. Even if the end of that conversation is: I'm not able to work with you at this time...something has come up...I lied and I couldn't afford to work with you in the first place....I lied and I never planned on paying your travel expenses...etc. Whatever. Just finish the conversation!

Jan 10 06 01:59 pm Link

Model

Cinder-stellar

Attleboro, Massachusetts, US

Daniela V wrote:
As for flaky photographers:

To avoid being seen as one...do not start talking about a shoot to a model or stylist if you're not willing to finish the conversation. Even if the end of that conversation is: I'm not able to work with you at this time...something has come up...I lied and I couldn't afford to work with you in the first place....I lied and I never planned on paying your travel expenses...etc. Whatever. Just finish the conversation!

to add to this, do not say you will pay for expenses and then after the model shows up say that you can't afford to pay expenses anymore.
or do a TFP and then never give the model the images.
raaar! tongue

Jan 10 06 02:10 pm Link