Photographer

Paul Pardue Photography

Oakland, California, US

So, this is a question to both the photographers and the models (and anyone else who would like to stand up and say something).

So, the basic premise is that I am new to this whole thing in general and am trying to learn as much as possible.  So, being that, what is proper treatment on model releases?  What kinds of things need to be written down, to protect both the model and the photographer.  Right now i am doing TFP/CD, and for me, I don't want to lose my rights to my work, neither do I want to shaft the model out of their rights.  I mean, if I do a shoot and get paid I would expect that i would compensate the model for their work, and likewise, what if I shoot and they go off and then sell the pics?

How do we protect each other from the other and walk away feeling comfortable?  Anybody got any ideas?  How do your releases read, what the consensus on getting the forms signed?  What legality issues are there?  I mean, if I draft something myself, and we both sign on it, then that's legally binding right?  Or, do we need a lawyer to write something up?  What about witnesses and the like?  Getting copies of ID's, anything that I might need to know going into this.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the mass of questions and jumble.

Paul

Jan 09 06 11:43 pm Link

Jan 09 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/search.gif

smile

Jan 09 06 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Redding

Florence, Alabama, US

I've seen a lot of different variations of model releases on different websites.  I bought a pack of them once from a mail order catalog.  When I was about to run out, I just copied the whole thing and changed "the photographer" to "Michael Redding."  I've only had one model object to it.  She wanted to get paid, get photos and tell me how and when to use the photos.  I'm not particularly thrilled with them (the releases I have) and I've wondered the same thing.

It'd be great if we could get a menu on MM where we could download forms!

Michael Redding

PS - I'd also like a pony!

Jan 10 06 12:02 am Link