Forums > Newbie Forum > personal input wanted please

Photographer

Leia photography

Silverdale, Washington, US

I have been taking photographs for years, all my friends and family have made me man the camera at gatherings and events, so I recently posted and submitted myself here on MM, I would realy love and and all constructive crit on and about my port, I am open to ideas and thoughts, and don't worry I don't bruse very easy, laughing!

Jan 12 08 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Leia photography

Silverdale, Washington, US

anyone?

Jan 12 08 08:16 am Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

It is a nice start.

The MM community is more about artistic/glam/fashion shots.  Yours are nice portraits.

I would suggest you get some older models and rethink your focus and idea for the shot.  Get closer to them and tell a story........could be "I am pretty" but still a story.

You also need to work on lighting.  Using a fill flash or buying a cheap reflector will add a lot to your outside shots.

Finally, practice a lot.  Go to the forums and read.........especially the technical photography forum posts.  Those people know so much and share.

And remember.......it is your art and your vision.......so shoot what looks good to you.

Jan 12 08 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Viewu

Bradenton, Florida, US

Your photos look like snapshots to.

Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want to do.  If however you want to do better more inspiring work take a look at what some of the good photographers are doing here.  Analyze the images as to lighting, location, subject, meaning, production.  Look at magazines, find images you like.  Decide why you like them and then go for it.

Take some classes on lighting, get some books and shoot, shoot, shoot. Explore...play, play, play!

Jan 12 08 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

Check out Sally Mann.

or Bill Hurter.

Jan 12 08 08:34 am Link

Photographer

AEV Foto

Carolina, Carolina, Puerto Rico

Shoot everyday, pay attention to the technical stuff, like time of day, backgrounds, shutter speeds and aperture. Go to your local book store and study photo books. If there's any local school teaching basic photo courses take one.

Jan 12 08 08:39 am Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

sad Awwww, by your thread title I was expecting something different.

Bur since I am here, I have to agree that your images look like snapshot/photo album images.  They aren't bad, but I feel them lacking a "finished" element or feel.

Keep playing around and shoot whenever you can.

and have fun smile

Jan 12 08 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Bogard Photography

Beverly Hills, California, US

^ like they said.

I think this would be a better avatar...you're starting to tell us a story with this shot.
https://modelmayhm-6.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/070902/02/46da6bc55ca92_m.jpg

Jan 12 08 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jeremiah Tyson

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

the biggest concern i have is a lot of my problem as well... many of the ideas are good, but lack perspective that could make them great. Some could be a little clearer and a little effort could be made to keep the shadows off the faces a little more. If you check my portfolio you will see I have this problem a little too but thats cause our eyes function a lil different than the camera. If there is any doubt, try to use a reflector or an alternate light source! Hope this helps!

Jeremiah

Jan 12 08 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Matt Bogard Photography wrote:
^ like they said.

I think this would be a better avatar...you're starting to tell us a story with this shot.
https://modelmayhm-6.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/070902/02/46da6bc55ca92_m.jpg

!
Good advice!

Jan 12 08 12:19 pm Link