Forums > General Industry > Tattoos -- Do You Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I hate them.

As a photographer of the nude, I feel that a figure with a tattoo is always adorned and therefore never nude.  And that's not even getting into my opinion that the vast majority of them are cliche, poorly done, boring, and unoriginal.

Jan 08 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I love them, though not in all circumstances.  I recently went tattoo-crazy, and have been lining up shoots with heavily tattooed people for the upcoming weeks.  Can't wait - especially the cute girls with half sleeves and back pieces.

I'm not so wild about the in-between look.  I prefer either no/very few, small tattoos, or big intricate works of art.  When people have the sort of random chunks of hand sized tattoos on an otherwise elegant and unmarked body I find it distracting.  A model I shot recently had a couple of tattoos that just looked like big black blobs from anywhere further than a foot away, and I wasn't keen on those.

I love stuff like the tattoo in the most recent image in my portfolio, though.  It's eye candy to me.

Jan 08 06 03:24 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

That's why there's chocolate and vanilla.  ie...if you don't like them don't work with girls who have them.  Half the people on this site love them and half don't...this thread will show that if it doesn't die first.  I find them a big turn on although I don't have any myself (I'm a wuss!).

You have nice work in your port by the way:-)

Jan 08 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

GunnCat

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I hate them.

As a photographer of the nude, I feel that a figure with a tattoo is always adorned and therefore never nude.  And that's not even getting into my opinion that the vast majority of them are cliche, poorly done, boring, and unoriginal.

Personally I don't like them much. It's a lot easier for me to get models work who don't have tattoos.

Jan 08 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I hate them.

I love good tattoos. I hate bad ones.

Jan 08 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Brad Garner Photography

Surprise, Arizona, US

I love tats...I dont feel they hinder my work at all.

Jan 08 06 03:47 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Don't like them.

Jan 08 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

I personally don't like them. I don't mind shooting them with glamour or glamour nudes but art nudes, I do mind.

Jan 08 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Prefer not to have them, but it doesn't stop me from working with the model. Bottom line, I want my work highlighted, with my interpretations, not a tattoo artist's work.

Jan 08 06 04:12 pm Link

Model

ROTU

New York, New York, US

I love tattoos. I was planning on getting a back piece awhile ago, but then I started modeling. Maybe I'll think of it again in a few more years...tattoos are forever.

However I'm indulging my heart's fullest to piercings that can't be easily seen!
weee

Jan 08 06 06:18 pm Link

Model

Horsie Girl

Santa Rosa, California, US

One or two tastefull tats are okay, but someone who is covered in them is a total turn-off.

Jan 08 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

Proud supporter of big badass tattoo smile
I don't feel that they're a problem, they're "almost" accepted by everyone nowdays.
I've various on myself, that's a lifestyle and this also is reflected on my photos.
And yes, crappy tattoo are really bad sad

Piercings are ok, but as usual it depends, for me are even ok bodmod, for some other having someone with horns or its tongue splitted, may turn them away

Jan 09 06 12:56 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

hate them.  just plain ugly.

Jan 09 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Got more work done on the portrait tattoo on my left arm, this Friday it should be finished.. Probably get a few more, but not sure where since both upper arms are full and I don't want to fill the bottom half of my arms just yet..

Jan 09 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

ChrissyD

Baltimore, Maryland, US

right now i have one tattoo. i like tats and im thinking about getting another one. photographers say they dont like them but if the model is cool with it they can always be photoshoped away. ; )

Jan 09 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

I hate them.

Oh pish posh to you! I won't stand for this discrimination!! Off with your head I say... Inked skins are people too you know!!

tongue

On a different note, I like people who have passionate opinions, but seriously, is your loathing for other people's choices really that profound that you had to make a public declaration about it? Just curious...

Jan 09 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

I personally love ink, and I think when they are well done, it can really express who a person is.

However, I agree that there's a lot of bad work out there, overdone images, etc etc.  I'm not a big fan of flash work, simply because then everyone has the same work!  My pieces were drawn by me, and I'd never get flash work done on me.

As far as in models, I've seen good work and bad work...I think tatts can be boons to a photo, or can totally kill it.  It's totally in what you're looking to create in an image you capture...it's all up to the photographer and the model.  What they create is art...someone isn't going to like it, so what?  I've seen tons and tons of images of ink-free girls in images that are absolutely terrible.  *shrugs*

2 cents, cha-ching!
~Jer

Jan 09 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Curt Lout Photography

Spearfish, South Dakota, US

I shoot for Tattoo Savage, so YES I love tattoos!!!!!!

Jan 09 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

I hate them.

I have them (3) and regret all but 1.  Damn it, I shoud have listened to my Dad!

Jan 09 06 01:27 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lillith Leda wrote:

Oh pish posh to you! I won't stand for this discrimination!! Off with your head I say... Inked skins are people too you know!!

tongue

On a different note, I like people who have passionate opinions, but seriously, is your loathing for other people's choices really that profound that you had to make a public declaration about it? Just curious...

This girl makes me swoon.

Jan 09 06 01:27 pm Link

Model

Midori

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have one small one on my calf, only about a square inch. Its a chinese symbol that says 'clarity.' I have had it for a few years and don't regret it. Its in a spot that can easily be concealed.

Jan 09 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Midori wrote:
Its in a spot that can easily be concealed.

Part of the reason why I don't want to get any tats below the elbow...

Jan 09 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

fotorat

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

love em....

Jan 09 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

Envy wrote:

Heh, you both make me swoon!  wink

~Jer

Jan 09 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

I love em!! Have 4 of my own!! smile

Jan 09 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

Eh, I'm not really interested in shooting tattooed models. 

big_smile

Jan 09 06 01:50 pm Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Envy wrote:

Ditto babe, ditto!! wink

Jan 09 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I like good ones and hate bad ones.  I am also of the opinion that either no tattoos or a huge beautiful body piece is best.

Jan 09 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I'd "never" get one (never say never) but on a model... Depends on what I was shooting her for.

Jan 09 06 02:56 pm Link

Model

Lyrik

Seattle, Washington, US

I like them, if they are done tastefully or if they are on certain people. Some models look great with them, and it fits really well into the genre of work they are into. I personally would look like a total idiot with a back piece or something. But I think that my little one on my arm (it's my mom's name in chinese for those of you who would think to ask) is cute. It's personal, and it has meaning. It's not huge and colorful. Therefore, I don't think it poses as much of a problem. And it's easily covered with make up if a photographer doesn't want it to show.

Jan 09 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

I like them. I find models who choose to adorn their body with art they love adds to a photo. I do have a problem with the cleche small-of-the-back tattoos that every semi-attractive 18 year old girl gets to be trendy. Tattoos are art like anything else and I think the model should understand what a tattoo means. It's a very strong statement to say I want to put this on my body forever and for the people who do it for the right reasons it only makes it more compelling to photograph them.

Jan 09 06 03:33 pm Link

Model

Coral Weber

New York, New York, US

everyone is saying that tattoos get in the way...but for reasonable ones cant tattoo makeup or photoshop easily cover that?  angelina jolie has huge ones and u dont see them in any of her movies. (along with tonnnnns of other actors and actresses)

victorias secret model adriana lima has a not tiny viney tatoo down her ankle onto her foot and u never see it.

*Coral

Jan 09 06 03:33 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I hate them.

Once upon a time...when I was sixteen and insane, I seriously considered a tiny ankle or shoulder blade tattoo. When I told my mother, she did not howl, speak in tongues, nor did her head spin on her shoulders...she simply said, "tattoos are a "fad thing" for most, but the problem is they last a lifetime.  Cathy is coming over to lay by the pool this afternoon with me, why don't you come home early, and ask her to show you her "hummingbird preflight" tattoo.

Now I was shocked speechless, I had no idea my mother's longtime girlfriend even HAD a tattoo.  I came home early, and told Cathy I was considering a tattoo, and Mama had suggested that I check out the hummingbird preflight tattoo that you got when you were 16.

Only 16 years of rearing and manners kept me from gaping in horror at the "tiny preflight hummingbird" on her breast, that now 30 years later, looked like a starving sickly buzzard!

I cancelled my appointment at the tattoo parlor and never looked back! wink

Jan 09 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Coral Weber wrote:
photoshop easily cover that?

Given a choice between a model whom I don't have to photoshop a lot and one whom I do, I'll take the path of lesser resistance.

It's a red flag when you hear the words at a shoot, "Oh, that's what photoshop is for."

Jan 09 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

mollie_lane wrote:
Only 16 years of rearing and manners kept me from gaping in horror at the "tiny preflight hummingbird" on her breast, that now 30 years later, looked like a starving sickly buzzard!

I cancelled my appointment at the tattoo parlor and never looked back! wink

Ha ha!  That's why you shouldn't get ink done on "stretchy" areas...I have a friend that had a dragon sleeping on her stomach...it was really cute!  Then she had two kids.  Let's just say it's really hard to tell that it was a dragon...or anything, really.  Hehe... 

~Jer

Jan 09 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

George Losse

Mount Holly, New Jersey, US

I hate them, but they are a sign of the times.

I do agree with the others that have said given the choice of shooting someone with tatoos or someone without. I'll always opt for the model without the tatoos. You just have more options without the tats. A tatoo is something that is more about that person, that's fine if your shooting portraits of that person. But if your going for a shot needs shoot a more universal woman, a model with recognizable tatoos is wrong for that look.

I also hate tatoos on models in the natural landscape, put them in the studio or a cityscape and I'm ok with them.

I don't use photoshop for my work, its really not an option, but that is my choice of the way I work.

Jan 09 06 08:00 pm Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Justin wrote:
Given a choice between a model whom I don't have to photoshop a lot and one whom I do, I'll take the path of lesser resistance.

It's a red flag when you hear the words at a shoot, "Oh, that's what photoshop is for."

Path of least resistance tongue

I think there are enough models on the planet to choose from where one doesn't need to resort to having to "make over" a model who happens to be inked.

What I find interesting is the fact the same negativity doesn't exist towards male models with tats. They can even be sleeved and still do a major fashion spreads.

Jan 09 06 08:08 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I hate permanent tattoos. - I don't have any piercings either. I would rather offer a blank canvas to photographers than to force them to deal with artwork that gets in the way.  Is anyone printing temporary tattoos for when they need them?

Here is one company I found that makes transfer paper for Tattoos: http://www.beldecal.com/commercial.cfm

Jan 09 06 08:26 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lillith Leda wrote:
Path of least resistance tongue

I think there are enough models on the planet to choose from where one doesn't need to resort to having to "make over" a model who happens to be inked.

Exactly.
My period is less irritating than this topic.

Jan 09 06 08:41 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Absinthe Photography wrote:

Ha ha!  That's why you shouldn't get ink done on "stretchy" areas...I have a friend that had a dragon sleeping on her stomach...it was really cute!  Then she had two kids.  Let's just say it's really hard to tell that it was a dragon...or anything, really.  Hehe... 

~Jer

ROTFL@Jer

Turned into the green glob, huh?
That confirms it...NO dragons OR hummingbirds for me... wink

Jan 09 06 09:49 pm Link