Forums > Newbie Forum > Is there any point in my being on MM?

Model

M

New York, New York, US

not really in newbie in that i signed up long ago,
but i just recently took this thing out of mothballs and added my movie clips, and decided to give it a whirl,but.................Im sort of wondering why.

Im not a Model.
I am an actor.

expecting lots of negetive comments, just cause that's what happens here usually, but maybe a few usefull ones as well.

Jan 11 08 01:41 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

If it hasn't benefited you since you joined, I don't see the point.

Jan 11 08 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

M wrote:
Im sort of wondering why.

Im not a Model.
I am an actor.

There are actors and actresses on here. Networking is networking. One never knows who you'll into or what connections they have. Even actors need headshots. And that may open a door to something else. Who knows?

But if you think it's pointless, well, I guess it is, then.

Photographer

Fernon

Annapolis, Maryland, US

I gotta pee.

Model

Kristen Jeanne

Pinardville, New Hampshire, US

SunArcher Photography wrote:

There are actors and actresses on here. Networking is networking. One never knows who you'll into or what connections they have. Even actors need headshots. And that may open a door to something else. Who knows?

But if you think it's pointless, well, I guess it is, then.

Truth.

Jan 11 08 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Stratosphere 5

Fallbrook, California, US

What ever it takes to get your self out there, maybe you will need pixs or make a little extra money modeling. I don't see how it could hurt.

Jan 11 08 01:45 pm Link

Model

Aleks Hayward

London, England, United Kingdom

yeah, if you haven't had any positive networking, then maybe there's no point. most people are here to meet togs/models/MUA's etc.. but.. as previous entries said.. you never know what connections people have =]

Jan 11 08 01:45 pm Link

Model

M

New York, New York, US

Jan 11 08 01:46 pm Link

Model

M

New York, New York, US

Kristen Jeanne wrote:

Truth.

I didnt say that i thought it was pointless,
i was Wondering if it was pointless.

Model

M

New York, New York, US

Model

Oliver Travis

Charleston, South Carolina, US

If you find it pointless then I guess it would be pointless.  I actually saw a few acting jobs on here yesterday though.  Networking is networking though.  I think as long as you're getting yourself out there and making people notice you then it couldn't be that pointless and maybe you'll find out that you like modeling, too.

Jan 11 08 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

lightfantasticnudes

Saint Peter, Minnesota, US

It's only pointless if you make it that way, jmho.
WWTS? (what would Tim (Gunn) say?) Make it work. smile

Model

Rose Ocasio-Booker

Roanoke, Alabama, US

M wrote:
but i just recently took this thing out of mothballs and added my movie clips, and decided to give it a whirl,but.................Im sort of wondering why.

Im not a Model.
I am an actor.

expecting lots of negetive comments, just cause that's what happens here usually, but maybe a few usefull ones as well.

I'm starting to think why myself too!

Model

Battling_the_world

M wrote:

Exposure's exposure, connections are connections

Jan 11 08 01:48 pm Link

Model

Modell T

San Diego, California, US

Popcorn anyone???

Jan 11 08 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

lightfantasticnudes

T wrote:
Popcorn anyone???

here ya go popcorn wink

Jan 11 08 01:49 pm Link

Model

M

New York, New York, US

Oliver Travis wrote:
If you find it pointless then I guess it would be pointless.  I actually saw a few acting jobs on here yesterday though.  Networking is networking though.  I think as long as you're getting yourself out there and making people notice you then it couldn't be that pointless and maybe you'll find out that you like modeling, too.

i dont really like getting my picture taken, but even if i did, im definitely not quite model goodlooking,so...........

Model

Sweet Romance

Buffalo, New York, US

Fernon wrote:
I gotta pee.

Me too

::Hi fernon::

Photographer

Naomy Quinones

Orlando, Florida, US

Actors need headshots...

for a good headshot, you need a photographer (hoping it is a good one).

Also, some actors model for certain ads and campaigns...

Just recently I saw Valentina Bove´s profile here. I was amazed it was her, since I am used to seeing her acting on TV. But she did have great fashion shots.

Networking is networking.

Model

M

New York, New York, US

T wrote:
Popcorn anyone???

what does that mean? let the ripping of the dummy (me) begin............what in the world could i have possibly written in this post to inspire that?

oh well, sure, why not.........

Jan 11 08 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Simplesoul26

Columbia, Maryland, US

It's what you make of it.  There are photographers on here who do actor headshots (I just started trying to learn how to do them recently).  There are some who shoot short stories where acting skills may come in handy.  There are people on here that direct and/or shoot films.  If you have to ask if there's a purpose to being here, then you most likely have the answer all ready.  Either way best wishes to you. 

K. Allen

Jan 11 08 01:51 pm Link

Model

M

New York, New York, US

Rouge Meistress wrote:
Actors need headshots...

for a good headshot, you need a photographer (hoping it is a good one).

Also, some actors model for certain ads and campaigns...

Just recently I saw Valentina Bove´s profile here. I was amazed it was her, since I am used to seeing her acting on TV. But she did have great fashion shots.

Networking is networking.

well yes, headshots would definitely be an impetus for me

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

M wrote:
I didnt say that i thought it was pointless,
i was Wondering if it was pointless.

Okay now I'm lost.

You didn't say it (and I didn't say you said it), but you're thinking it or wondering it. Close enough.

I think that those who think that it's pointless to be on Model Mayhem are no longer on Model Mayhem. And those who find value in it are still here.

But we didn't ask folks what THEY thought. We each use Model Mayhem for our own purposes, and if the site serves those purposes, it's not pointless to be here. When it ceases to serve our needs and purposes, then it's pointless to be here.

Sounds like you WANT people to say it's pointless. Do you?

Photographer

SugarePie Photography

Kansas City, Kansas, US

Thats because you never called me when you got to town smile

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
If it hasn't benefited you since you joined, I don't see the point.

Jan 11 08 01:53 pm Link

Model

M

New York, New York, US

SunArcher Photography wrote:

Okay now I'm lost.

You didn't say it (and I didn't say you said it), but you're thinking it or wondering it. Close enough.

I think that those who think that it's pointless to be on Model Mayhem are no longer on Model Mayhem. And those who find value in it are still here.

But we didn't ask folks what THEY thought. We each use Model Mayhem for our own purposes, and if the site serves those purposes, it's not pointless to be here. When it ceases to serve our needs and purposes, we'll leave.

you are right. true enough. just pondering out loud i guess. but there have been enough similar responses to this that i realize that is basically the answer.

Thanks.

Jan 11 08 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Waddington

Combermere, Ontario, Canada

Maybe it isn't always about what WE can get out of MM but what we can SHARE with others.  There are lots of new models, photographers and others on here who may benefit from some wise advice from some more seasoned professioinals.  Share.....  offer advice.  Even if it may be considered  harsh it can be done in a tone of friendship.

Jan 11 08 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

lightfantasticnudes

M wrote:

well yes, headshots would definitely be an impetus for me

You are in New York. Try networking with some NY photographers for a headshot. just an idea..

Jan 11 08 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Whiter

Prague, Prague, Czech Republic

No.

Jan 11 08 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

M wrote:

Im not a Model.
I am an actor.

Well, if those 4 pictures are all you can post up, you definitely need a head shot. I'm sure there are a thousand guys in the city that you can get to do it for you. You could start here on MM, if you like.

Jan 11 08 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

...why not?
For the fun of sharing and looking-there's plenty to see and appreciate in the work and art of others.
And, as an actor, the arts are all related.
Most importantly, look to have fun.

Jan 11 08 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

lightfantasticnudes

You ask, Is there any point in your being on MM.

Only you can answer that for you.

Jan 11 08 02:09 pm Link

Model

pb tasha

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

garbage in, garbage out.

you can't just sign up and then wait for things to come your way. only you can decide whether or not you want to use this site. so look and see what MM has to offer and decide if you find anything worth sticking around for.

Jan 11 08 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Cox

Folkestone, England, United Kingdom

I have been here a while and only had 2 shoots arranged, both were no shows. Waste of time

Jan 11 08 02:11 pm Link

Model

Beauty Redefined

Brooklyn, New York, US

I guess a better question would be.. what harm could it do? or even better ....ask yourself why you chose to create an account. You had to have some logical reasoning behind it.... ( i hope) Figure that out and just cultivate it. Like people have already mentioned, if you out nothing in thats pretty much what you ened up with.

Jan 11 08 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

lightfantasticnudes

MM is not like a box of chocolates that you never know what you're going to get. lol Make it happen for you.

If your ship does not come up to shore, you better swim to it.- A wise photographer once told me in a pm smile

Jan 11 08 02:33 pm Link

Model

MC_

Austin, Indiana, US

Off topic but...How did you get the name "M"? I mean I thought our names had to be at least 3 characters long....

Jan 11 08 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

M wrote:

Im not a Model.
I am an actor.

well if your not a model, photographer, mua, ws then you have no business on a modeling site, i mean why are you here?

Jan 11 08 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

nudes by studiomona wrote:
MM is not like a box of chocolates that you never know what you're going to get. lol Make it happen for you.

If your ship does not come up to shore, you better swim to it.- A wise photographer once told me in a pm smile

make it happen has been my motto from day 1

Jan 11 08 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

gregg cerenzio

Wharton, New Jersey, US

M wrote:

Im not a Model.
I am an actor.

We live in a society who loves to hate. Screw them. get what you can out of whatever, and to H-E-Double with everyone who trys to hate on you for it

Jan 11 08 03:24 pm Link

Model

MC_

Austin, Indiana, US

MC_ wrote:
Off topic but...How did you get the name "M"? I mean I thought our names had to be at least 3 characters long....

OP, delete your account so I can snag that name big_smile

Jan 11 08 03:26 pm Link