Forums > General Industry > Good news Only!

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I decided to change things up and try to get some positive energy flowing.  I'd like to know everyone's BEST shoot, both models and photographers.  Tell me the absolute best moment of your career -- that moment where you smiled and said "this is why i do what i do."  I want to know where and when it happened as well as who you were working with and what made it so memorable. Positive stories only please!  I'll be posting mine [two actually] later today.

Jun 03 05 02:42 pm Link

Model

Chill Factor

New York, New York, US

Since modelling is only something that I have recently begun to dabble in, I would have to say that getting my first tear sheet,,like within a month made me pretty happy.

Jun 03 05 02:57 pm Link

Model

Jessika Rae

Akron, Ohio, US

I have yet to shoot, but have quite a few booked.  But being a very positive thread I do have positive things to say about this.  The photographers that I came in contact with are so delightful.  They're enthusiasm about their work and their enthusiasm to shoot really drives me.  They are very personable which will help create a positive vibe while on set.  The overall setting of this site has helped me out so much. No I have not yet been photographed, but have quite a few bookings for this month alone.  It's a great opportunity to help build your portfolio while helping others. 

We've also got some great attitudes on here.  The models are so supportive of one another which helps with the camrodary.
I honestly have nothing negative to say about this site or with the members on here.  With hopes that I don't change my view on this I stand very firm that I wont.  So thanks for giving an novice a chance to get out there.  Kudos!!

Oh and Melvin, I give you great props for starting a positive thread!
-Jessika

Jun 03 05 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Great idea Melvin! I give you props for starting this too! There has been a few negative threads and a positive one is always a nice change of pace.

Most every shoot I've ever done has had at least a few positive moments, and some of even been extremely positive for me.

I am about to run off to the Kinko's for some stuff I need for the weekend, so I will write more later on this one.

Jun 03 05 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

My first paid shoot was for a wedding gown designer.  I was so nervous about everything, but the gowns, the models, the hair and makeup, and the light all came together perfectly.  I sent the designer home with small jpgs at the the end of the first day (3 day shoot) and she called that night and left the most glowing, ecstatic voice message I've ever heard.  Whenever I'm feeling down on myself or underconfident, I play that message back, and everything rights itself.

Jun 03 05 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

My first major cover was really the momment I recall best but it was for Transworld Surf so it didn't involve a model smile I guess for me, in terms of shooting models, I would say getting to shoot at the Playboy Mansion was special.

Jun 03 05 06:48 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have had many many positive experiences working with photographers...it got me back into an artistic circle which my life had been lacking for so many years. I would say that the great thing for me has been associating and interacting with people. My two fave shoots of all time though were with Melvin (we got to hang out for two days and do a casual shoot, and we both got to discover how much of an exhibitionist my bf really is (LOL),and also with Dennis Keim. I would say it is because we had a sense of humor and of art that meshed during the shoot. Beside that, I have made two very close photographer friends that I talk to almost every day.

Jun 03 05 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kirk

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 
I decided to change things up and try to get some positive energy flowing.

Thanks Melvin, I was gonna start a "good vibes" thread - just drop in a line or two about something good that happened to you today.

Do not feed the trolls ...

Jun 03 05 09:13 pm Link

Model

Delilah

MacKeesport, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 
Tell me the absolute best moment of your career -- that moment where you smiled and said "this is why i do what i do." 

melvin, do you really have to ask? lol
The moment I got the photos from our first shoot, and I realized that my "flaws" that I was so self- concious about, can actually be made to look amazing when put in the right hands!
So far, every experience has been good, and unique in their own ways, but I do have to say my first shoot with Melvin, stood out the most because of his enthusiasm and love for photography....

Jun 04 05 06:26 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

I got my first tear sheet and plenty of bookings ahead, including meetings with a few agencies so wish me luck! smile

Jun 04 05 06:38 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

sorry, double post

Jun 04 05 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

My very first shoot with a model.  I had an inadequate camera and no idea how it should go.  I just had some visions I wanted to pursue.  The model wanted to learn to ride a new motorcycle.  We did a TFML (Trade For Motorcycle Lessons).

If it had gone badly, I would've probably walked away from doing shoots with models.  But it went quite well, and I got several of my favorite shots ever with my crappy camera, an understanding model, and a little imagination.

Jun 04 05 06:53 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

My best moment is hard to pick...
First print and major credits apply..

Secret Magazine Model of the Month
Cover of HellBlazer Comic
Features art in Vampire: the Requiem game
Top Bondage magazine catalog model
Shadowrun feature art model...

With work in the process for skintwo!

Jun 04 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

The highest on life I think I've been is when shooting celebrities. It can also be the biggest let down too if you know what I mean.

Steve Tyler of Aerosmith has got to be the most "on" person I've ever had the pleasure to shoot! He keeps hamming it up even when the camera are off and being put away! There is not "on off switch" on that dude! LOL

Of the models I've shot, I'd have to say the most incredible is Anaiah Veras who packed more awesome poses into pictures in less time than any other model I've shot with before or since! Her ID is # 34286 on OMP.

IS Anaiah on MM?

Jun 04 05 07:27 pm Link

Model

Pinky

Melvin, great topic.  Postive engery...

I can't single anything out as my greatest experience.  Recently I had the plesure of working with Melvin.  I had the time of my life!  Anything and anybody that lets me be creative.  Gene Fenton of Scream Queen Wannabes was also much fun to work with.  Another  great recent shoot was with Alan Higgins.  I have had more postive experiences with photographers than negative experiences.

Jun 04 05 07:46 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I'm like Pinky.  I only had two negative experiences that weren't major.  I love working with everybody !!!  smile

Jun 04 05 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 
The highest on life I think I've been is when shooting celebrities. It can also be the biggest let down too if you know what I mean.

Steve Tyler of Aerosmith has got to be the most "on" person I've ever had the pleasure to shoot! He keeps hamming it up even when the camera are off and being put away! There is not "on off switch" on that dude! LOL

Of the models I've shot, I'd have to say the most incredible is Anaiah Veras who packed more awesome poses into pictures in less time than any other model I've shot with before or since! Her ID is # 34286 on OMP.

IS Anaiah on MM?

This is such a good idea for a thread that I don't want to see it get buried quite yet! 

Sadly, I realized after looking at the many beautiful models on my "friends" list here on ModelMayhem that I have not shot with a single one. sad    But in looking at my OMP profile, I have shot with a couple dozen there (some have dropped their profile) plus "manage" four or five models on there. (What ever amounts to being a model manager? lol)

The fact is that I need to stop spending so much time in this forum and get shooting with some of these models!

Jun 05 05 02:41 am Link

Model

Pinky

I didn't want to see this post get buried.  I'm bumping it to the top.  Keep the postive going...

Jun 09 05 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

One model I will never forget and always be thankful for is Angel la in Sacramento, CA.  I drove over there to stay 3 days and 2 nights so that I could work with her. It was a very positive and porductive trip!

The first day I got there, my car overheated due to a broken hose. Angel la picked me up and we went down to the State Capital to make arrangements to get the two permits needed to shot there the next day. Everyone at the State Capital was so very helpful and they issued the permits although it was such short notice!

Then Angel la took me to a parts store where I picked up the hose needed to repair my car. She stood by to help me, then made sure I made it to the Motel for the night.

Then the next two days we shoot a HUGH amount of film in many outfits all around Sacramento. I even accidently dropped my wallet on the street in front of the State Capital. While I was in the middle of shooting, a woman called me on my cell phone (it's on my business card) and asked if I might have lost my wallet! She waited for me until I could meet her to get it back. I was sooooo "thankful" it's awesome that people like that are around! 

Jun 09 05 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Already I've dropped in to the forum for a visit and see where some of the latest threads are heading. It's NOT a pretty site! LOL

Instead of arguments ... does anyone else have anything positive to say?

Jun 09 05 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I have work outside of the hot box that is NY right now.
I needed a rest.

Jun 10 05 12:38 am Link

Model

Pinky

Positive?  Here?  There is a chance of snow tomorrow too.  lol ;-)

On the topic of this thread.  I tell anybody to work with Office Design Service.  Howard and Connie are the sweetest people I know.  I had my shoot scheduled.  I don't own a car, they drove for 45 minutes to pick me up.  As a bonus, my babysitter bailed and I couldn't find another replacement in time.  I asked if it was okay if my kids were there too.  They didn't have a problem.  Even if they minded, they didn't let it show.  On top of it all, they were wonderful hosts offering something to eat and a soda.  They bent over backwards to accomadate me.  I'll go out of my way to recommend them and give them the business they deserve.  :-)

Jun 10 05 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I shot a catalogue for an ATV trailer company last week...
Sorry.
Gotta bring this shit back down.  A moment when I had to ask myself "Is this what I do this shit for...?"

Jun 10 05 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Cameraviews

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

I guess it was a couple of years ago when I had a 60-something year old client come to me to shoot some photos of her before her masectomy.  She was an absolutely beautiful woman, inside and out.  The only hints of age were in her face and hands, but there was that bruise on her breast where they had performed the biopsy...  The shoot that day just kind of transcended anything I had ever done before.

Jun 10 05 01:18 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

I actually got some great news yesterday that the book project that me and this photographer have been planning for over 2 yrs now is finally getting off the ground (He's coming down here in about 2-3 wks to shoot for it). 

Jun 10 05 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Great news! A friendship I thought was gone forever has been rekindled for me. A couple years ago, she saw me at my worst, and that scared her. (Heck, it scared me!) And now after no communications for too long, we are back to talking again. Time can heal!

It is a wonderful feeling to reconcile with someone you thought would never be friends with you again.  I hope we can all get along and be friends here as well on Model Mayhem!

Jun 10 05 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

OK, I will add more to this ... you may wonder what this has to do with ModelMayhem.

This lady that I have started talking with after quite some time is someone I worked with in the photography field. She is a talented artist, and my feelings about working with her again are warm with just a slight bittersweetness since we were both angry at each other at one time. It's been two and 1/2 years!  I really enjoyed working with her and hope to do so again in the future. (She is a graphic artist)

Has anyone else swallowed their pride and rekindled old friendships that were thought to have ended?  It's really a wonderful feeling!

Jun 10 05 05:56 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I usually always try to be on everybody's good side.  smile  I don't like having enemies and enemies just waste my precious time. 

That's a fantastic story, thanks for sharing it.  smile

Jun 10 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Venus: 
I usually always try to be on everybody's good side.  smile  I don't like having enemies and enemies just waste my precious time. 

That's a fantastic story, thanks for sharing it.  smile

Thank you, Venus!

I worked at a photo lab with this lady back in 2002. The first impressions we had of each other were very good. However, I became very ill with congestive heart failure. I nearly died! But when I came back from the hospital, I was taking 7 different medications and not all together "myself" as some might understand. So she really saw me at my worst. It scared her! Hell, it scared me! LOL

Today, after a very succesful open heart surgery done at Stanford Medical Center on June 10th 2003, I am in better health than I have ever been! The bad heart valve was something I was born with! Now that there is more blood flowing to my brain, I'm having all sorts of self realizations about life! LOL  wink

Honestly, I did not want our friendship to end. So I am here to tell you that if there is LIFE, there is HOPE!

If you love someone, tell them right now! If you are mad at someone, get over it and forgive them. We may not have another day to do it!

Jun 10 05 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

This is sad that no one else has any "good news" to share!

????????????

Jun 10 05 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

More "good news!" ... I have now reached 500 posts here on ModelMayhem!

So now I'll shut up!  LOL

"Yea, right! Like that is ever going to happen!"

Jun 10 05 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I have some good news...
I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.

Jun 10 05 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

It actually happened like 2 days ago when I had my work reviewed by no one other than Bunny Yeager the world famous glamour and pinup photographer........

I`m still kinda like in seventh heaven still, while one of my idols and inspirational photographer`s actually found my work something beautiful and worthwhile to respond about....please go read what she said in my "quotes" section at my page

Thanks

Tom

PS: I talked to Peter Gowland`s wife Alice today, so this might be a double whammy!!!!!!! 
It`s a wonderful thing when someone important and famous  sees your work as something nice and special it`s build my confidence and worth of my work up even more, without getting  a big head about it big_smile it`s just good to know that someone appreciates my work, and someone who`s inspired ME to work in the first place

PSPS: Anyone have Hugh Hefner`s number?

Jun 10 05 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 
OK, I will add more to this ... you may wonder what this has to do with ModelMayhem.

This lady that I have started talking with after quite some time is someone I worked with in the photography field. She is a talented artist, and my feelings about working with her again are warm with just a slight bittersweetness since we were both angry at each other at one time. It's been two and 1/2 years!  I really enjoyed working with her and hope to do so again in the future. (She is a graphic artist)

Has anyone else swallowed their pride and rekindled old friendships that were thought to have ended?  It's really a wonderful feeling!

I`ve swallowed my pride MANY times, while it`s a sad day when opinions and personal feelings and struggles get in the way of art.....I think EVERY photographer or model goes through this at least once or twice in their life  but it takes a bigger person to swallow the pride and refind that "spark" that once drove the art to work right in the first place!

Tom

Jun 10 05 10:13 pm Link

Model

Pinky

Good news, I've got the chance to work with some PDG (Pretty Darn Good) photographers and MUAs.  I've also had the pleasure of making contact with Tony Urban who is a local B slasher movie director.  I can't wait to work with him.  I hope I die a bloody death in my first film with him.  lol  We all have to start somewhere, right?

Jun 12 05 12:18 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Not THE best EVER, but definitely a fun shoot I had at the end of February that got published in a popular Russian automotive magazine.  They just put up an online version here:

http://www.autopilot.ru/issues/auto/2005/05/94.html

Jun 12 05 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

I forgot to post my own "Good News."

About two years ago, I was fed up.  I'd had a bunch of really negative experiences which sapped my morale, my creativity and my desire to continue as a photographer.  I was honestly considering giving up my artform altogether.
I had been approached by the wonderful Mayan Lee [MM #2422] some weeks before, but was totally intimidated by the major artists she had worked with previously...I assumed she was looking for a [well deserved] paying shoot while I was visiting NYC.  When I emailed her that I surely couldn't afford the day rate of such an accomplished model, she replied that she was quite happy to work with me TFP, telling me that my work was excellent and that she wanted to be part of it.

We set a date to meet and work during my visit, which I almost cancelled due to the difficulties before the trip.  I'm glad I went through with it.  Ms. Lee treated me with a level of respect and enthusiasm that I had only rarely experienced up to that point.  I still maintain that I did a lousy job that weekend; I just didn't have the energy to really do her justice, but those images are still on her profile pages on various sites.  She truly lifted me from a low point and got me to see my value as an artist and a person.  We've been friends and co-creators ever since.  We just chatted on the phone today, making plans for new projects together.  As always, she made it clear that she values me not only as a fellow artist [and music guru], but also as a person and a friend.  I've said it before and I'll say it again:  No her, no me.  I wish for every photographer and model a similar experience.

Jun 13 05 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Luis Santiago (MM #4453) cut my hair on Friday, and I've been getting compliments all weekend!

(And I found the thread that shows the syntax for links.  All kinds of good news!)

Jun 13 05 12:25 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

On another site,  a thread is of the highlight of the week for each person when they have one.

It would be good to have such a thing here.

Okay,  I going to sleep now.  I guess that is good news for many.

Jul 16 05 03:00 am Link

Photographer

Lesley Brown

Marfa, Texas, US

that is a good question.  i am a beginner, i have much to learn.  so i know that in time i will have great stories to tell.  but for now, i will say it was when i took this picture with my crappy point and shoot...

https://lmsimages.com/bike_shadows_a1.jpg

it's nothing much.  it's just me and my husbands shadows on the road, doing what we love.  no models involved, no makeup, no studio, no special lighting.  it's when i saw this picture it dawned on me to just shoot what i love.  capture life, and be me and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks.

Jul 16 05 03:26 am Link