Forums > General Industry > Urgent Wardrobe Question

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

Ok- Heres the story. I have been asked to do a shoot this week and the client is paying me as MU/Hair and wardrobe stylist.
The payment actually covers the cost twards buying wardrobe and my fee.

My question is, should I ask for the money twards wardrobe upfront so buy the garments or do I buy them myself and bascially be reimbursed at the end of the shoot?
Im broke too so that adds another angle.

Ive always been able to borrow clothes from local designers and such but since Im new to LA this is a quistion I havent answered yet. Since Im new in networking here.

Lemme know what you guys think. Im meeting the client in 6 hrs.

Jan 07 06 11:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I get a deposit if the wardrobe is in the excess of $2,000.00  thats my personal set amount but everyone is different.  It also depends on the client....If its a national well known client I almost never take money up front...mom and pop business I ALWAYS take a deposit on wardrobe.  I always put wardrobe on credit cards so money isnt an issue...by the time the bill comes in the client has paid because I do request wardrobe purchases be   paid in 14 days.  My services they can take up to 90 days to pay and usually do.

I suggest if you dont have  a hefty credit card limit that you not get into this type of styling (store shopping)  this is the only kind of styling I do and my average job runs a balance of $3,000 to $5,000  on just wardrobe.

If you're doing mainly fashion/editorial etc you can borrow from designers, you can't do that when you are styling a commercial shoot, and thats what this sounds like.

Jan 07 06 12:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Yeah its a newer company. Shooting a shoe catalogue.
I was just trying to figure out the ethics on how this worked and how to word it.
At least without sounding ghetto..

So basically I should ask for a deposit upfront.

Thanks Mary!

Jan 07 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

"if its a national well known client I almost never take money up front...mom and pop business I ALWAYS take a deposit on wardrobe"

The way I look at it I don't like to play Bank to ANYONE , a deposit insures that everyone is committed to the project and the time allotted. The bigger the client usually means that they are swamped in their accounting which can mean that you get paid in 90-120 days.
  Just remember if a client can keep the $10,000 they owe you for 3 months they have now made a nice bit of interest , they do this to 25 vendors it means a lot of interest at the end of the year! Don't play bank to mom and pops or the fortune 500's

Jan 07 06 01:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I would ask for the money up front this way you can cover all of your bases. you dont want to get stuck if this is a fly by night project

Jan 07 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Also, don't forget places like Top Trims, Ethos and Something Special in LA. That is where the wholesalers and wholesale/retail businesses are. It will allow you to get items that are nice without spending a fortune. They are near maple and 11th,

Star

Jan 07 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

can you rent wardrobe instead of having to buy it? in NYC i do a lot of it myself, i rent at approx 15% of ticket price

or do that time and true model thing, buy it, dont remove the tags, and return in in 30 days

however, payments should always be included, or have already been spelled out in your work agreement with them, or in their work agreement, something to the effect of 'invoices will be paid within 30 days, 60, days, 90 days etc' or '25% due at signing of agreement, certified check or money order, etc etc'

if its a really 'small' project you can take them with you and let them pay for the wardrobe on the spot

Jan 07 06 06:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Star wrote:
Also, don't forget places like Top Trims, Ethos and Something Special in LA. That is where the wholesalers and wholesale/retail businesses are. It will allow you to get items that are nice without spending a fortune. They are near maple and 11th,

Star

Excellent Idea Star!
I will check them out!

I went to my meeting with the client and brought up the deposit aspect.
Her head spun around 3 times and smoke came out of her nose. She wanted me to buy the clothing with my own money and return it or pull from designers.
Oh well, live and learn right. I guess thats how its done.

Jan 07 06 11:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dontinelle

New York, New York, US

Roshar wrote:
I went to my meeting with the client and brought up the deposit aspect.
Her head spun around 3 times and smoke came out of her nose. She wanted me to buy the clothing with my own money and return it or pull from designers.
Oh well, live and learn right. I guess thats how its done.

So was it a deal breaker, or were you able to work it out and keep the gig after throwing cold water on her to clear the smoke?

Jan 07 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Roshar wrote:
She wanted me to buy the clothing with my own money and return it

The client asked you to essentially steal? 

Sadly,  I am not surprised.

But what about  a budget for a stylist to do this?

I would not be surprised at the answer.

Jan 07 06 11:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Dawn Tunnell wrote:
So was it a deal breaker, or were you able to work it out and keep the gig after throwing cold water on her to clear the smoke?

Hey Dawn!
Luckily I still have the gig. I just gotta learn how to be more buisness savy.
Damn it... I just wanna paint!
lol..
Well Ive learned from experience.

Jan 08 06 12:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Marksora wrote:

The client asked you to essentially steal? 

Sadly,  I am not surprised.

But what about  a budget for a stylist to do this?

I would not be surprised at the answer.

No budget.

Since I was chosen wardrobe stylist along with MU/hair I guess I have to do like Mary mentioned. Use a credit card.
I cant fully complain since I am getting payed a descent amount to do all 3.
It does make sense though that if I get money to buy the clothes, what happens to the clothes after the shoot. The client wont want them. I cant wear them.
Hmmm.... should I do a MM garage sale? ....just kidding.

Jan 08 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Roshar wrote:

Hey Dawn!
lol..

You were not wrong to ask.   Do not be intimidated to think so.

I do have certain ethical lines I will not cross.   I have used credit cards in the past,   stylists who have,  and may in the future but JUST in an emergency.   

I do have some issues with it but I am not going to sit here and say I never did it.

Each of us make are judgements on what we will do only when we are presented with those choices.

Hopefully you truly are being paid well.   For if that was the answer from the client,  I might go on but my ripoff radar would be working full time.

Jan 08 06 12:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

the way I do returns and I'm sure some will agree and some will not, whatever...  TO be honest the snobs in this buisness have no influence on my business, I have no use for them.

I buy about 3 outfits for every one that will be used...each one that is used they pay for, the rest get returned.   Usually talent buys 20% of the wardrobe I bring....men love to not have to shop...they pay full price. 

I charge $600.00 a day to shop and $600.00 a day to return the UNUSED stuff.  Usually returns take 1/2 day at $400.00 for up to 5 hours.   

If I am makeup/hair and wardrobe they pay me $800.00 and my assistant $250.00 for the day...I do not do all 3 without an assistant unless the job is very small (one or two talent)    This is true on mom and pop as well as the big companies....

I always get the wardrobe paid for in 14 days (the wardrobe not being returned) so I do not play bank for anyone. 

If you have a client that can't afford to purchase any of the wardrobe they should just have the talent bring wardrobe and hope for the best  or rent wardrobe if you are in LA or NY...if not forget it, you can't rent in most smaller areas.  Of course I can pretty much guarantee that if they don't have the money to purchases a few pieces they are not going to have the money to rent...renting is actually more expensive then buing 1/3 or 1/4 of wardrobe. 

I shop for large stock productions...I mean 10 people a day 4 wardrobe changes going 5 days straight....I use 4 or 5 credit cards and I shop for a week prior.   Returns take days.  The purchases on these shoots are high and stock companies do NOT want to pay for wardrobe....I get around this by getting great deals and great stuff and usually end up selling to talent a good deal of it and I do make the client buy a percentage..  some of the stuff will get ruined with makeup etc...that stuff adds up and they do buy all of that wardrobe..

So to the original poster.....I hope you are charging good for the day because when you do all 3 they are saving a lot of money and remember you will WORK YOURE ARSE OFF!  styling is much harder then makeup and hair if you do it right.

Jan 08 06 11:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Roshar wrote:
No budget.

Since I was chosen wardrobe stylist along with MU/hair I guess I have to do like Mary mentioned. Use a credit card.
I cant fully complain since I am getting payed a descent amount to do all 3.
It does make sense though that if I get money to buy the clothes, what happens to the clothes after the shoot. The client wont want them. I cant wear them.
Hmmm.... should I do a MM garage sale? ....just kidding.

You actually just hit the nail on the head....EBAY...I have sold stuff I couldnt find the tags for on ebay for more then I paid!  I bought a silk shirt at Ross for a shoot, had to eat the cost because I couldnt find the tag (my fault not the clients) I sold it on ebay for more then I paid....

Your client can pay for all the purchases and sell on ebay if they really are on a tight budget.  I work with a photographer that does that with all the props and wardrobe he uses.  You would be SHOCKED at what people will pay for stuff on EBAY.

one more thing.....If the client wants you to shop and return and you have ethical issues with it you can get cash to shop from the client....buy the wardrobe and then let the client do the returns...if its all paid for in cash this is easy.....Let the client stand at the counter and explain why he or she purchased all that clothing and now cant keep it....

Jan 08 06 11:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Dontinelle

New York, New York, US

Roshar wrote:

Hey Dawn!
lol..

precisely why i try to avoid doing wardrobe, i just wanna paint too!!!

xoxo

Jan 08 06 10:18 pm Link