Forums > General Industry > Nude Shoot Body makeup

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I have a dumb newbie question about nude shoots:  Is body makeup usually applied to cut down glare?  If so, what is used and how is it applied?

Jan 07 06 02:07 am Link

Photographer

JRickard

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I've never used body makeup for a nude shoot, unless it's to hide a tattoo or something of that nature.  The body doesn't usually have the same oil problems as a face does, so eliminating shine shouldn't be necessary.  If; for some reason, you do decide to use body makeup, the same type producuts used on the face can be used on the body.

Jan 07 06 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I have a dumb newbie question about nude shoots:  Is body makeup usually applied to cut down glare?  If so, what is used and how is it applied?

I don't use body makeup for art nude shoots as I like them natural. Some photographers do to even out skin inconsistencies like blotchy skin or tan lines. It would depend on the purpose of the photo. The product most used is Dermablend.

Jan 07 06 07:24 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Whole body MU?

Perhaps not to cut glare but to go the other way and give the whole body a sheen (if doing nude work of course) to catch highlights. In this case the MU is usually only oil rather than pigmented kind of MU.

Spot MU?

There may be some other instances as well - again for nudes but not necessarily whole body MU - often, people with light skin patches at the base of the spine may need some MU applied there... women with very pale nipples may get a little blusher applied there... covering a birthmark with a bit of concealer+powder... using MU to cover surgical or injury scars or stretch marks from childbirth... ect, ect

Studio36

Jan 07 06 08:20 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

OK.  Very cool.  Now I at least have a bit of understanding about the subject.  thanks!

Jan 07 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

We have an airbrush system in the studio.  I don't use it much to eliminate shine.

We do sometimes apply a temporary tan, covertattoos/blemishes or occassionally change skin tone.  We also use it sometimes to apply a sheen by spraying on a mix of glycerin and water (using a spray bottle for touch-ups).

Jan 07 06 10:10 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I have used baby oil to add shine, (the new gel baby oil is great)
and blush to nipples at one point.
but usally nope, no body makup needed in nude shots.

Don't wear any underwear before your shoot at all. 

Don't get waxed the day of your shoot.

Don't get tan lines.

Jan 07 06 10:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

So if you are doing a nude i would highly sudgest a light powdering with a translusent powder all over the body , make sure that you remove anything that will leave a line as this can take some time to go away if you apply some body lostion this will spead up the line removal process,
The powder is used to avoid HOT SPOTS
if you want to look all hot and sweaty you can use baby oil gel, spray (liquid) sunscreen works reall well, or use glerin (can get at a drug store) to create beads of sweat.
a little powder sudgestion is if you have black skin dont use any products with talc in it as this will make your skin look ash y
I like the physitions fourmula in a transulsent (compact), it s hypoallergetic and doesnt contain talc

Jan 07 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
So if you are doing a nude i would highly sudgest a light powdering with a translusent powder all over the body , make sure that you remove anything that will leave a line as this can take some time to go away if you apply some body lostion this will spead up the line removal process,
The powder is used to avoid HOT SPOTS
if you want to look all hot and sweaty you can use baby oil gel, spray (liquid) sunscreen works reall well, or use glerin (can get at a drug store) to create beads of sweat.
a little powder sudgestion is if you have black skin dont use any products with talc in it as this will make your skin look ash y
I like the physitions fourmula in a transulsent (compact), it s hypoallergetic and doesnt contain talc

It sounds great .. thanks a lot for sharing it smile

Jan 12 06 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

'Monk

Denver, Colorado, US

I had no idea there was such a thing as body makeup. Course it seems it may just be normal makeup one would use for the face. Learn something new everyday smile

Jan 12 06 08:45 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I use body makeup on quite a few of my nude shoots to cover imperfections (ha! as if I have any of THOSE).

I've used oil and vaseline to add sheen, but I've never used body make-up to eliminate shine.  That's just not an issue with me.

Jan 13 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

theda wrote:
I use body makeup on quite a few of my nude shoots to cover imperfections (ha! as if I have any of THOSE).

I've used oil and vaseline to add sheen, but I've never used body make-up to eliminate shine.  That's just not an issue with me.

nothing can mask your angelic glow Theda.

Jan 13 06 09:31 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:

nothing can mask your angelic glow Theda.

Have you considered make-up to cover that brown nose?

Jan 13 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

theda wrote:

Have you considered make-up to cover that brown nose?

LMAO

Jan 13 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Theda...what do i stand to profit from my remark???...i only have altruistic motives in any comment given.

Jan 13 06 09:48 am Link