Forums > General Industry > Shalom or Leticia?

Model

Angela Benedict

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

This post has been spawned by a curiousity derived from a conversation I had earlier this week regarding the way the industry has been heading.

Back in the 90's there was the herion chic look . As we know that's died out. Within the last few years the industry has slowly but surely been heading more toward models with curvy figures.

Here we have two high fashion models.

Shalom Harlow
https://www.101lifestyle.com/images/celebs/shalom_harlow/Shalom_Harlow-006.jpg

and Leticia Casta
https://www.diomedes.com/letiventanaG.jpg

Both stunning yet in completely different ways. But it's not what us models think, it's down to the photographer. Has curvaceous replaced heroin chic?

Jan 06 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Curvaceous is "in" because most of the US female population is (to be politically correct) curvier. About 15 lbs curvier than when Shalom ruled the catwalk.

Whatever happened to Shalom? Her mouth was a work of art. That is a crappy photo of Shalom up there.
https://www.123celebs.net/s/shalom-harlow/shalom-harlow.jpg

mjr.

Jan 06 06 07:40 pm Link

Model

Angela Benedict

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Curvaceous is "in" because most of the US female population is (to be politically correct) curvier. About 15 lbs curvier than when Shalom ruled the catwalk.

Whatever happened to Shalom? Her mouth was a work of art.

mjr.

I think she's focusing on acting now. she's been in a few films.

Jan 06 06 07:42 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I adored Shalom (but Linda was my favorite from that period).  I like my high fashion models to be skinny clothes hanger types.

Jan 06 06 07:44 pm Link

Model

Angela Benedict

Susi wrote:
I adored Shalom (but Linda was my favorite from that period).  I like my high fashion models to be skinny clothes hanger types.

Ah Linda. She had great teeth and a fab smile. I've always loved the waif look...Which is probably why I've always been on a diet :X

Jan 06 06 07:46 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Leticia and Shalom both look good...but for some reason that Leticia pic is making her more intriguing to me than that Shalom pic....but mjr. did bring out a great headshot there...

Jan 06 06 07:52 pm Link

Model

Angela Benedict

Lapis wrote:
Leticia and Shalom both look good...but for some reason that Leticia pic is making her more intriguing to me than that Shalom pic....but mjr. did bring out a great headshot there...

Even candids I've seen of Shalom look straight out of vogue.

Jan 06 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I think .. it's getting "meatier" but the majority still is very slim and very tall smile

Jan 06 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Jan 06 06 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

Either way it started in the 60's with models like Twiggy. Look at models from the 40's and 50's, alot more curves than even today.

Jan 07 06 12:03 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Leticia...oh wow wow.  She was the first woman I ever lusted after, and that body, she made me proud to have the build I do, something realistic and beautiful I could aspire to.  Nothing is wrong with thinness, but screw heroin chic, it's unattractive and unheathy.

Jan 07 06 03:00 am Link

Photographer

Mario Quezada

Los Angeles, California, US

Still in love with Leticia

Jan 07 06 03:03 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta

wink smile

Jan 07 06 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

The "REAL" reason why models are getting curvier is because the "AVERAGE" dress size in these FAT United States is . . . 14 !!!   That's AVERAGE! Holy SHIT!

We live in the fattest country in the world!  Not only because of McDonalds, but because the USA is on this Political Correct state of mind that it's OK to love yourself if you are FAT!  Fat is as Fat does, don't sugar coat it!

By accepting "FATTNESS" in America, it allows the nation to get even lazier and fatter.

Let's be honest, most models on MM would die if they were a size 14...

Jan 07 06 03:47 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Hamza wrote:
The "REAL" reason why models are getting curvier is because the "AVERAGE" dress size in these FAT United States is . . . 14 !!!   That's AVERAGE! Holy SHIT!

We live in the fattest country in the world!  Not only because of McDonalds, but because the USA is on this Political Correct state of mind that it's OK to love yourself if you are FAT!  Fat is as Fat does, don't sugar coat it!

By accepting "FATTNESS" in America, it allows the nation to get even lazier and fatter.

Let's be REALLY honest.... most models on MM wouldn't be modeling quite as much... or at all (in fashion, regular commercial, etc.) - if we all woke up as a size 14. (Although many 'models' on here aren't quite a size 4 either *wink* hehe)

~Rachel

Jan 07 06 05:01 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Shalom was/is one of my all-time favorites. Few compare to her.

Jan 07 06 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Lance Nichols

Markham, Ontario, Canada

RachelCWhittemore wrote:
Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta Leticia Casta

wink smile

Hope you don't mind quoting you on that.

Jan 08 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Both hot as hell. If I had to pick which one to shoot with for art I'd go for Leticia Casta. It's the eyes. For a paid gig, Shalom Harlow, the body structure sells the clothes and Laticia needs a bra.

Jan 08 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Hamza wrote:

Oh give me a break.  A size 14 isn't fat.  I work with plus models all the time, and what you're saying is just goofy.  Take for example the woman in my avatar, who is also found here:  https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=4378a66dc4ac0.

She's a college basketball star, and wears a (gasp!) size 16.  She ain't fat.  Going by clothing size or by BMI is overly simplistic, and has zero to do with health.  It doesn't take into account height, muscle mass, genetic body shape dictates, etc. 

And yeah, it is okay to love yourself if you're fat.  Lots of people do.  And I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about it.  smile

Jan 08 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Jan 08 06 11:54 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

oh god another angry conservative male is heard from.

Except I completely agree with his assessment and I'm an angry liberal female.

Jan 09 06 10:50 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:

Except I completely agree with his assessment and I'm an angry liberal female.

ditto

Jan 09 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Shalom!

Really.  Classic stunner.

Jan 09 06 05:01 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Whatever happened to Shalom? Her mouth was a work of art. That is a crappy photo of Shalom up there.
https://www.123celebs.net/s/shalom-harlow/shalom-harlow.jpg

mjr.

I love both pics for completely different reasons....she is just gorgeous

Jan 09 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Landra Lee Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I adore Shalom. I think she is exquisite. I never thought of her as "heroin chic" though... even if she did rock that time period... Leticia is gorgeous too, just in a different way. She is more soft/sensual, whereas Shalom is more sexy/mysterious (in my opinion). Thats why it's such a beautiful thing that different people have their own unique qualities. smile

Jan 09 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

And, bodies aside for the moment, they both have stunning, but different, faces.  And that is far more rare than finding a skinny girl or a chunky girl or a girl with/without boobs.  It is why we know them.  It is why they worked soooo much.  Faces make icons, not bodies.

Jan 10 06 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I like the cute one.

Jan 10 06 09:40 am Link