Forums > Newbie Forum > Nikon Advice for the BEST EVENT PHOTOGRAPHY

Photographer

Pelman Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hi MM'ers
It's Neil Pelman here in beautiful Vancouver BC.
I am an architect and professional photographer, working in both arenas but 1998 turned photography professional.
I have subsequently become "addicted" to events, receptions, high end parties, club nights etc.
I have met some WONDERFUL people and some good producers.
I have a Nikon D-200..fabulous camera,the SB-800 Flash with a Stoboframe bracket, and use mostly the new 18-200 f3.5 AFS Lens (excellent).
I seem to be getting some great shots, but just wondering if any of you greatly experienced photographer might have some tips, ideas for me..................lenses, strobes, tricks, professional "chit-chat" to get people to strike "poses", find good background for the shot....etc??
I would REALLY would appreciate and comments and assistance, experience you may have to offer.
Happy New Year to you  all......may you have good health and prosperity for 2008, AND surpass all your goals.
Sincerely,

Neil J. Pelman, B. Arch, MAIBC, ISP
PELMAN Photography
Vancouver, BC

Jan 06 08 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Michael R Kihn Studios

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

Respect the people in front of the camera
Don't act big headed
Never make any promises you can't keep
Blend in to the crowd and don't make your self stand out from it
Treat all as the were your friends

If you do that you should do well
I also use the D-200 for some events but use the Fuji S-5 more
( better higher iso  image and AWB) D-200 faster though
lens I use  Nikon 17-35 2.8-S , 28-70 2.8-S , 70-200 2.8 IF-S VR
It's not really the camera that makes you, It how you work it with the event

Jan 06 08 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Broder Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Try shooting with the SB800 detached from  the camera. Nikonians (the Nikon User Group) has a series of classes across the US instucting photogs how to use the flash remotely. It could be worhwhile.

Jan 06 08 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Michael R Kihn Studios

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

Broder Photography wrote:
Try shooting with the SB800 detached from  the camera. Nikonians (the Nikon User Group) has a series of classes across the US instucting photogs how to use the flash remotely. It could be worhwhile.

I tried that but it's is not always reliable.  60/40 
Nikon should have built sensors on both
sides of the SB-800 that received the trigger flash signal.
I talked to Nikon techs and the seem to agree.

Jan 06 08 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

yougotthehit

The best event photos Ive got are ones where the subjects ignore the camera.

For club photography my general rules: Take quite a few pics of the host or hostess, staff and what not. "Behind the scenes" shots are always enjoyed by the people paying you to do the shoot. Make it look like there are 2 girls to every one guy. It makes the club look more "the place to be on a _______ night"

Shots of other photographers taking shots, or camera men working the crowd always impress those paying me. And, its real easy to ninja those pics in without anyone knowing you took them.

The people that see your event pics want to remeber what the event was like. Make sure your pics reflect that, with lighting and what not.

Jan 06 08 02:46 pm Link