Forums > General Industry > which portfolio is more diverse?

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

A model who shoots with a lot of great photographers, or
a photographer who has shot a lot of great models...(this is assuming high quality of model and photographer submiting portfolio.)

Jan 06 06 02:31 am Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

diverse as far as?

A photographers portfolio should show their ability to work with different models and different looks (within the range of their style)

While a model should show their ability to work with different photographers and different looks (within their style)

either can be diverse and interesting in different ways.

Jan 06 06 02:33 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I think the photographer has the upper hand in that they get to pick from a larger assortment of images or looks.

Jan 06 06 02:36 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
I think the photographer has the upper hand in that they get to pick from a larger assortment of images or looks.

assuming the photographer is the 100% director of all shoots, and if they are diverse, all photographers have recognizeable styles. If a model goes to a million different photographers, don't you think the photographers would stand apart...offering diversity of style...I mean, models, I notice, do have the same poses they do with different photographers, and the photographers also have unifying aspects of their work. No matter how 'diverse' a photographer is, a mature artist usually works in series and has deep repetitive themes that evolve...and are identified immediately with that artist...so the style by itself limits the 'diversity'. But also, a challenge for both model and photographer to create their portfolio, so I have seen way more good photographer ports, they know how to work portfolios. There are a few models who view their portfolios as art as well....

Jan 06 06 02:43 am Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

Is mine Diverse?...

Jan 06 06 02:46 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

XposurePhoto wrote:
Is mine Diverse?...

yes, but you are still developing your style. Which is a good thing. I think you need to do more refridgerator like shots...that is your strongest work IMO...I commented on it a while back.

Jan 06 06 02:52 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

Lapis wrote:

assuming the photographer is the 100% director of all shoots, and if they are diverse, all photographers have recognizeable styles. If a model goes to a million different photographers, don't you think the photographers would stand apart...offering diversity of style...I mean, models, I notice, do have the same poses they do with different photographers, and the photographers also have unifying aspects of their work. No matter how 'diverse' a photographer is, a mature artist usually works in series and has deep repetitive themes that evolve...and are identified immediately with that artist...so the style by itself limits the 'diversity'. But also, a challenge for both model and photographer to create their portfolio, so I have seen way more good photographer ports, they know how to work portfolios. There are a few models who view their portfolios as art as well....

I agree with you Lapis.  As photographers start to hone their style, that style starts to become their signature.  Look at artists like Herb Ritts, or Jeffery Scott, David Chapelle, Ellen Von Unsworth, Helmut Newton, etc.  All are easily identified by their style.  Let's take a Model on the other hand and let her shoot with these same photographers (if they were all still around).  An icon like Cindy Crawford, or any other well known model would have an amazing assortment of photos in her book.  Some seductive, some erotic, some intense, some beauty, some fashion, etc, etc.   I'd say the models have the diversity in this one.  It's very difficult for a photographer to all of sudden change gears and go in a different direction (IMHO), without the risk of losing a certain fan base.  When we "love" a certain model, we want to see him/her from all sides and in all styles.  II think that's what makes great model great...the varying looks.

Jan 06 06 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Lapis wrote:

WOW -

For someone on a borrowed computer you sure can type up a storm...(wind and trees blowing), you are so very right Lapis dear, in fact, I have used several of the same images the models post in my own portfolio, but I also select some of the images from any given shoot for my own selection which are not ones the model has picked out as the ones he/she wanted edited in the TFCD agreement.
So, I end up with some that have a similar look or style but may have different lighting or cropping of the image.

I don’t follow trends, I set them....

(you can use that)

I'd ask for you to look at the models in question, but that would take a bit of time for me to gather some of the links...

Craig

Edit:
Miss Kel - 1st and 4th row
https://modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=410

Mine - 3rd and 4th row
https://modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=14190

Jan 06 06 02:58 am Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I'd have to say models can,  Sorry guys, just because we can take advantage of more than one eye to art, while photographers  just have different looking women.  Like Lapis said, once you have a style, you generally keep it, at least for a while.  And you can collaborate and get something different, but then so is the model.

Jan 06 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Lapis wrote:

I don’t disagree but I also don’t know if this is necessarily true.  As a photographer I find the more diverse you get transfers to the style as well.  In other words, if I created separate portfolios under different names, say one lifestyle and one art or Goth.   There will be a commonality or style within the genre but I doubt anyone would recognize the same person created them.  For me this occurs even if I am shooting the same model.

Then again, it just might be I do not have a style. smile

Jan 06 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Absolutely the model.

Jan 06 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Is mine?? Well it was at one time anyway

Jan 06 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

The photographer because the models port is always of her only.

Jan 06 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I've often said that my favorite thing about being a model is that I get to be a chameleon, and the facet of who I am (and sometimes who I am not) changes depending on which photographer I am working with, and where they are shining their light, so to speak.

Jan 06 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

Mandie

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Is mine?  I try, but I feel like I often look like a Barbie doll, no matter what I do!

Jan 06 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

That's not really a fair question.

Models portfolios are supposed to be diverse. They are supposed to be the ones that can be put into several different situations and pull it off. The really great photographers have developed a certain style that doesn't show diversity. It shows that they have worked at their craft and developed a certain look. If you want that "look", hire the photographer and that is what you will get. A photographer with a really diverse portfolio hasn't gotten to that point yet.

Jan 06 06 01:19 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

A photographer that shoots with a lot of great models.  smile

Jan 06 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

The model's book will be seriously more diverse than the photographer's. 

Photographers have recognizable styles, or should have, that keep their portfolios tight.  There might be a few exceptions (aside from those who are still feeling their way around) but I can't think of any off hand.

Models who work with many photographers will have representations of many different styles, even if the model is tightly focused within one genre.

Diana Moffitt wrote:
A photographer that shoots with a lot of great models.  smile

No.  Models have little effect if any on the style of the photograph.  Photographers determine the style and unless the photographer is still shotgunning around, it will be within his existing style.

-Don

P.S.  I was trying to figure out why Lapis would even ask such a silly question, but knowing a little of her, it couldn't be as silly as it seemed.

I think the key here is "diverse."  What does that mean?  To a model having a bunch of pictures of herself may not seem diverse, because they're all of her, therefore "all the same."

To a photographer, his work won't feel at all diverse, because they're shot in his own style, therefore "all the same."

So is diversity of a portfolio of photographs dependent on the subject or the style?

Answer:  Style, of course.  Subjects have little to do with photographs once they've adequately reflected light.

More questions:  Is diversity a good thing for a photographer's portfolio?  For a model's?

Jan 06 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Beebe

Tracy, California, US

Lapis wrote:
"which portfolio is more diverse"
A model who shoots with a lot of great photographers, or
a photographer who has shot a lot of great models...(this is assuming high quality of model and photographer submiting portfolio.)

(this is adapted from what I just posted as a tag on your profile, Lapis)

...what makes a more diverse portfolio?
The individual involved, whether model or photographer, plays the biggest role: they have to want (or want to have) that diverse expression in their blood to be able to exercise it, play with it, and convey it. (and there are many, both models and photographers, on these sites who do NOT - they repeat their own history over and over.) Being willing to play and stretch their own hearts, minds, bodies, and/or imaginations, is one of those delightful 'internal' things that separate 'picture makers' from 'image makers.' From this photographer's experience, a model having the gift of some other expressive trait - dance, music, acting, art, even some sports (any or all in the list) - makes for a far more "interesting" human being to want to be around and want to understand, then work with. Passion is something that doesn't simply 'happen' on some prearranged date on the calendar. It's a lifelong gift. Those that have the most diverse portfolios are those that have the most diverse want of expression. The others they choose to work with in a visually creative way, simply help exercise aspects of the muse already playing.

(and, I think I've just found a way to skirt your question by breaking the equation in half)

Richard

Jan 06 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Beebe

Tracy, California, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
The model's book will be seriously more diverse than the photographer's. 

Photographers have recognizable styles, or should have, that keep their portfolios tight.  There might be a few exceptions (aside from those who are still feeling their way around) but I can't think of any off hand.

Models who work with many photographers will have representations of many different styles, even if the model is tightly focused within one genre.

No.  Models have little effect if any on the style of the photograph.  Photographers determine the style and unless the photographer is still shotgunning around, it will be within his existing style.

-Don

P.S.  I was trying to figure out why Lapis would even ask such a silly question, but knowing a little of her, it couldn't be as silly as it seemed.

I think the key here is "diverse."  What does that mean?  To a model having a bunch of pictures of herself may not seem diverse, because they're all of her, therefore "all the same."

To a photographer, his work won't feel at all diverse, because they're shot in his own style, therefore "all the same."

So is diversity of a portfolio of photographs dependent on the subject or the style?

Answer:  Style, of course.  Subjects have little to do with photographs once they've adequately reflected light.

More questions:  Is diversity a good thing for a photographer's portfolio?  For a model's?

My visual interests are already diverse, and my sense of how I express them is also not confined. At least I don't think so (and I can very easily admit being wrong about that). That's my nature, and after playing/working with photography for some 30 years, I've come to realize I very much FEEL like a work in progress. If I was supposed to keep to one "recognizable style" I would lose my own interest in what I am doing, and everything I'd share or express after this point would be a lie. I know not at the beginning of any given day just what will be in the camera at its end. Maybe straight color landscapes. Maybe something black-and-white. Maybe a surreal b&w-infrared impression. Maybe an attractive portrait. Maybe...

My own portfolio is expressively diverse because I am diverse. One is the result of the other. The various models involved with my image making (in those images that involve models - which is a fraction of my output) probably amplify this, based on how their own natures and creative senses work with mine. (Or not, come to think of it.)

Jan 06 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Richard Beebe wrote:

My visual interests are already diverse, and my sense of how I express them is also not confined. At least I don't think so (and I can very easily admit being wrong about that). That's my nature, and after playing/working with photography for some 30 years, I've come to realize I very much FEEL like a work in progress. If I was supposed to keep to one "recognizable style" I would lose my own interest in what I am doing, and everything I'd share or express after this point would be a lie. I know not at the beginning of any given day just what will be in the camera at its end. Maybe straight color landscapes. Maybe something black-and-white. Maybe a surreal b&w-infrared impression. Maybe an attractive portrait. Maybe...

My own portfolio is expressively diverse because I am diverse. One is the result of the other. The various models involved with my image making (in those images that involve models - which is a fraction of my output) probably amplify this, based on how their own natures and creative senses work with mine. (Or not, come to think of it.)

Well said.  You just made me delete three paragraphs.  The only reason I see to create a definitive style is for marketing.  For the photographer diversity is what allows one to capture an image with the ability to channel all that is affecting their life at the moment.  To create something unique with the subject.

Jan 06 06 11:21 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

It all depends on the artists involved.

Jan 06 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

They can be equally as uniform, that much is easy to see.  There are some models who are highly priased for their amazing ability in front of the camera.  Glancing at their work, you'd think that their "amazing ability" is making different photographers  -no matter how different their styles-  all look the same.  By the same token, there are photographers who are so into their own distinctive style that the models in their work are virtually indistinguishable from one another, dispite differences in shape, ethnicity, etc.

On the other side are models who can assume any identity and convey any mood on front of the camera.  Even with the same shooter.  And there are certainly plenty of photographers who can competently cover multiple styles and take one model and make her look different. 

The edge, I feel, goes to the models.  Most photographers develop a style that, though it gives continuity to models of varied looks, it sometimes breeds uniformity.

Jan 07 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Lapis wrote:
which portfolio is more diverse?

Ideally a model's book should make one ask during a flip-thru, "Is that really the same person?"  Great make-up / hair artistry, no out of the closet clothing and unique settings are what makes that possible.

The diversity of a photographer portfolio has nothing to due with models, but the ability to capture under multiple conditions.  That carries far more diversity than a single style, as they are not necessarily interchangeable.

Jan 07 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

The Models, hands down...most photographers are developing their own unique style, that means even with 20 different models the stylistic interpretation is either the same or "in the same boat" as the rest of his/her stuff

A model's port consists of different interpretations of her uniqueness (theorhetically) (a shame I can't spell theorhetically ain't it?), so I'd say by definition of the word diverse, the model's port is more diverse

Jan 08 06 03:56 am Link

Model

leah marsh

Long Beach, California, US

vain question.. but, hows my diversity?

=P

Jan 08 06 04:48 am Link

Model

leah marsh

Long Beach, California, US

perhaps a vain question.. but, hows my diversity?

=P

Jan 08 06 04:48 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

leah michel wrote:
perhaps a vain question.. but, hows my diversity?

=P

There are a number of different looks in your portfolio, yet your look at the camera (what you exude) is very similar. Mind you, it works. However, I do think you and your photographers have quite a bit to explore yet. I for one, can't wait to see what you do with that challenge smile

Jan 08 06 05:30 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

If one is to grow, one is to never stand still in a flowing river for that spot that you are in is never the same. Just shooting one thing and being great at it only limits your growth. Always exploring other interest shall show the body of your work and all the durections you'll travel to get to that one image. Focus on not that of repeatings others style but making yours standout and always changing.

Jan 08 06 05:31 am Link

Photographer

Richard Beebe

Tracy, California, US

AlexAlexander/Moderator wrote:
If one is to grow, one is to never stand still in a flowing river for that spot that you are in is never the same. Just shooting one thing and being great at it only limits your growth. Always exploring other interest shall show the body of your work and all the durections you'll travel to get to that one image. Focus on not that of repeatings others style but making yours standout and always changing.

sounds like a bit of interesting life experience talking.

Jan 09 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

TEKNOIMAGEZ

Rochester, New York, US

i should ask should you display diverse phtoos other then ones of models? diplaying your photographic ablity to capture amny different aspects of photography?

Aug 23 06 06:19 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

here you go kids!

Oct 27 06 07:03 pm Link