Forums > General Industry > good photographer = bad knees?

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

So, in my time as a model, I have noticed that the best photographers I have worked with that are over 40 ALL have bad knees....I postulate that it is because they spend so much time using their legs as pivots when they are doing photography, they destroy their knees.

Or it could be just a false correlation.

I have not been keeping track lately, But I do remember at one point one of the questions I used to determine the amount of photography the person had really done was ask them if they had bad knees.

Jan 05 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

It is actually all the groveling they have to do for models.

Jan 05 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I have one bad knee.  Does that mean I'm only half bad? or half good?  LOL

Jan 05 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Lapis,

I have good knees (then again I'm nowhere near 40) and I'm a photographer. However, after all of my shoots, my legs hurt. All that climbing and kneeling.

Jan 05 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I am 33, and I have arthritis in every joint I have, yet I still manage to squat and pivot and all as needed, but there are days I need a stool,, boulder, whatevers around,lol.

Jan 05 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Jan 05 06 10:00 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Jan 05 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Lapis wrote:

Well then, what IS wrong with you?   (I had a bad moment where i was going to say something REALLY snarky, but decided against it....surprising but true.)

*falls over in shock*

Jan 05 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I feel it in my back more than my knees.  But I'm young, so what do I know?

But I have a rolling stool that I love.  An ounce of prevention... smile

Jan 05 06 10:04 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

*falls over in shock*

LMAO

Jan 05 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

grsphoto

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

I don't know about the good photographer part... but my knees should have been recalled for warrenty replacement from the start.

grs

Photographer

Hamptons Glamour

Stony Brook, New York, US

Very interesting correlation. I'm 43 and I have terrible knees, 12 surgeries in the past 18 years, my problems began on a football field though, simultaneous hits on the back of the calf and front of the thigh, pretty much snapping everything, but I know being a photographer doesn't help, especially on location shoots. It also affects me to the point that I cannot get down low for a shot, I need to sit in a chair. It also affects me other ways while shooting because I have no trust in my knee to say climb a hill for a shot or something of that nature because it has given out on me without notice. Anyway, I'm interested to see what others say.

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

photographers with dirty kness are the head photographers.

Jan 05 06 10:06 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I feel it in my back more than my knees.  But I'm young, so what do I know?

But I have a rolling stool that I love.  An ounce of prevention... smile

yes, if it isn't the knees it is the back, and you aren't the only one i know with the rolling stool idea....repetitive stress injuries really suck (grabs wrists and starts rubbing them...sees that she is above 3700 posts) How is your carpal tunnel doing Brian?

Jan 05 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I have bad knees. I'm using flooring knee pads when I shoot. It helps on the spot, but the next day is hell.. 12 Years away from 40...

Jan 05 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

I've found that about 20 minutes of stretching before and cat stretching during a shoot keeps me cool...  I thinks it's an old habit I picked up from taekwondo..  Some folks take a whiz first thing out of bed - I stretch...  But seriously - give it a try before you shoot - give it a try before you do anything - you'll just feel better...

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Ten years of running 40+ miles a week in the Marine Corps, plus a few bad falls (from horses, motorcycles and armored vehicles) have resulted in a semi-trick right knee. 

It's semi-trick is weather forecasting.

-Don

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

BCG wrote:
photographers with dirty kness are the head photographers.

you are so nasty

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Lapis wrote:

you are so nasty

i am not nasty...*points to the cleanest knees in the Great State of Texas.*

Jan 05 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

TR PHOTO

Los Angeles, California, US

That's where it's coming from- OUCH !

Jan 05 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

More in the back here, too. I use a rolling office chair whenever I can for full-body shots. My knees make fun noises but they don't actually cause me pain very often.

M

Jan 05 06 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Lapis wrote:
....repetitive stress injuries really suck (grabs wrists and starts rubbing them...sees that she is above 3700 posts) How is your carpal tunnel doing Brian?

I don't follow.  What are you implying?  tongue

Jan 05 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lapis wrote:
So, in my time as a model, I have noticed that the best photographers I have worked with that are over 40 ALL have bad knees....I postulate that it is because they spend so much time using their legs as pivots when they are doing photography, they destroy their knees.

I am 40 now, and I do almost a sidesplit when I need to get into a stabil position (30+ years of martial arts will keep you flexible), without warm up...

Never understood why people have "age related" problems, must be their diet. I am also a vegg head for 23 years... so... it's the overall lifestyle.

But, then again... I am not one of the best photographers... maybe that's why my knees are great and I am flexible... wink

P.S.: But I was born with cracking meniscus disks...

Jan 05 06 10:30 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I don't follow.  What are you implying?  tongue

oh...okay. sure. you are a bit slow tonight. I couldn't believe that I had to search for the black and white conversion thread to put into tonights bitchfest myself.

Jan 05 06 10:31 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

sorry...double post...stupid time out server impatience thing.

Jan 05 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:
photographers with dirty knees are the head photographers.

Could it be that those have a lot of male nudes in their portfolios?

Jan 05 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Sports killed my knees...
Life,dreaded life has killed my spirit.

Jan 05 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I'm just over 40 and I don't have bad knees or other physical ailments. But I avoided sports (except fencing in college) like the plague. So, I like getting into the dirt when photographing things - either people or plants/flowers. I also agree that these "age-related" ailments are in the head. I decided at an early age that I wasn't going to get old, and dammit I'm not going to. Hmph!

So there.

-P-

Jan 05 06 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
I also agree that these "age-related" ailments are in the head. I decided at an early age that I wasn't going to get old, and dammit I'm not going to. Hmph!

Awsome friggin' statement.

When I was 26, I saw the correlation between the mental image you have in our mind on how you're supposed to feel and look when you pass a certain age... and decided not to buy into that... (mind over matter and all) and it worked...

Glad to see someone else who sees the connection too!

Jan 05 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

UdoR wrote:

Awsome friggin' statement.

When I was 26, I saw the correlation between the mental image you have in our mind on how you're supposed to feel and look when you pass a certain age... and decided not to buy into that... (mind over matter and all) and it worked...

Glad to see someone else who sees the connection too!

I really think that's there's a lot to this, really. People tend to think I'm ten years younger than I really am... Its really a mind set. And I also firmly believe in the "mind over matter" philosophy; people seldom realize how powerfull the mind truly is. Magic happens. Even in the "modern" age.

-P-

Jan 06 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I'm 37 and both of my knees are shot.  I was a runner most of my life until my knees just couldn't take it anymore, so I stopped.

Of course, the fall down the waterfall last year didn't help them.

Wait, did you say "best photographers"?  Nevermind... smile

Jan 06 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Lapis wrote:

Or it could be just a false correlation.

I have not been keeping track lately, But I do remember at one point one of the questions I used to determine the amount of photography the person had really done was ask them if they had bad knees.

Actually my knees were shot before I got into photography - football in highschool and before.

So yeah, my knees make a LOT of creaking/ groaning sounds after kneeling down for a shot and sometimes I even have to be helped back up!  I've often wondered if that was the reason that many models I've worked with chose me for their first nude shoot - they figured they easily outrun me if I tried something stupid!

Jan 06 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

My back problems went away as my "spare tire" got smaller. It's now a space saver spare! wink

My knee problems go back to high school activities even though I was not an athlete. I've found that time riding the bicycle helps me, anyway.

I also agree in your mental state of mind determining your age. People don't believe I have 23 and 20 year old kids!

Jan 06 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

JenniferMaria wrote:
Lapis,

I have good knees (then again I'm nowhere near 40) and I'm a photographer. However, after all of my shoots, my legs hurt. All that climbing and kneeling.

Agreed, Jennifer. sore muscles!

then again, if i had bad knees at my age, i'd be really upset.

Jan 06 06 08:45 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

So....when I am over 40, I will have bad knees and will be considered a good photographer by Lapis?

Huh.

Something to look forward to....yeah!

Jan 06 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

The only damage I have from years of photography is a sharp pain in my wallet! ;-)

Don't know if there is a cure for this...

Jan 06 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Not surprising. On a good shoot, photos will be taken from a variety of positions. It's a mark of laziness when you see all of a photographer's work shot from his own standing eye level.

Jan 06 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

I am 40 now . . . .

Oh, that is just so old (spring chicken)!

roll

I started doing that country-western dance thing down at the local urban cowgirl palace at 40 while keeping up with bicycling, running, winter backpacking, hunting, golf, etc.  Ten years years and thousands of MGD's later, I find standing up after scooping out the girlfriend's cat's ("Snoopy S. Poopy's") litter the most humbling thing. 

https://www.communicating-arts.com/images/A05-to-1218-093-cr-482xh.jpg

Beware.

Jan 06 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Joe Paul Studios

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

45 and both knees are experiencing arthritic changes. MCL damage in left knee, and possible meniscal tear in the same knee. Is it from photography - doubtful. Knee problems have been evident for 8-10 years, doing photography for 25+ years.

Jan 06 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Dammm I`m lucky I guess the knee`s are still good @ 42 years young while I can jump around and roll on concrete and such.......I should start using a little pad for them when I do car shows  smile

With me my neck is bad, rolled a car in Germany back in 1989 and have degeneration in C4 and all that blah blah....I`ll shoot pretty gals and old cars until I`m in a wheelchair I suppose

Jan 06 06 09:26 am Link