nobody is waiting for you , knock on doors
it's a god start
tb

Dec 31 07 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Jason Fassnacht

Sacramento, California, US

Wow ...

For all the ''Know-it-all-this-is-how-the-REAL-world of modeling-IS'' ego monsters up in this place ???

So far its only the mighty, mighty TB with a lil common sense ...

Trippy !!! =/

AND if I may Sirs ???

:thread high-jack:

BYS ???

Do yo EVER sleep ???

I sleep sometimes for 2-3 days straight & then I'll stay up for 2-3 days straight ...(no drugs, just Art & Sake & Music) ...

And no matter what time of what kinda day ... You always seem to be watching & lurking & then outa the blue, sendin' rounds down range.

Seriously, how can always be so present ???

J. & >^.^

Dec 31 07 09:05 am Link

Photographer

BYS

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Jason Fassnacht wrote:
J. & >^.^

Dec 31 07 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

They'll let you test anyone you want for $1500.

Any reputable agency has their own photographers (or ones they use regularly) for testing.

Dec 31 07 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

They want pictures of the model that happens to be a good photograph also. This means it's a capability demonstration of what the model can do. You should have:

1. head shots
2. body shots showing trunk to leg ratio
3. natural, spontaneous moves
4. variety of looks and moods

You shots are technically proficient and show the model, but look more "posed". Get more natural stuff and you should be fine. Somewhere around 12-20 pictures. Enough to show you have a range, not enough to bore them.

Dec 31 07 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Contact the agency, via phone, or, look at their website, verify who the bookers are (call the agency in case the site has not been updated in some time), get their e-mail addresses, write them with your interest. Then, they will want to see your work. If your work is consistent with what they are interested in, you 'may' get to shoot with one of their models, usually, one of the newer ones. It's very rare a new photographer coming to an agency, will get to shoot with their top models.

Dec 31 07 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

PhotoStudio 45 wrote:

Any reputable agency has their own photographers (or ones they use regularly) for testing.

In most states, agencies aren't allowed to have their own photographers, or if they do, they cannot charge for the pictures.

But agencies do keep a list of approved shooters. Models aren't required to shoot with them, but if they go off list, they risk having the work rejected for agency use, which usually means the model is just out the money she paid for the images, or she has to start all over.

Ward and Bys have the routine down.

Agencies are always looking for good test shooters, though, because the really good ones usually don't last too long as test shooters. They get noticed, open a studio and branch out to commercial (and far more lucrative) work.

Dec 31 07 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Chichicastenango

Los Angeles, California, US

Dec 31 07 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Cat Pimentel wrote:
I have never heard of anyone paying $1500 to test a model

I think the implication was that if you pay the day rate you can 'test' with whatever model you like... smile

Get a great website and email the agencies you're interested in, offering to do a couple of tests for free to prove yourself. If they get back to you, you have a foot in the door.

Dec 31 07 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

I did it 30 years ago in Dallas and got models from three or four agencies whenever I wanted.

I'd suspect that in New York today it would be considerably more difficult, but there's nothing wrong with calling and asking if you can come in and show your book. All they can say is no.

You can also back-door your way in by finding new models recently signed, there are some here on MM, and testing with them. The agency will definitely look at the shots, and if they like them, they might send you another model.

Dec 31 07 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

PhotoStudio 45 wrote:

You are right.... there are NO reputable agencies left in the world that will accept a new photographer (who has great skills) to pull models for tests.  So, I am sure that all those hot new NYC fashion photographers will NEVER be able to test with a SINGLE agency girl because all the ESTABLISHED photographers have not died yet.

Gimmeabreak.

Dec 31 07 06:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Agencies have their new models in portfolio development.
Thats who you will be able to test with.

The more established models usually arent available.

Some agencies will want a certain type of shot.
Such as (for example) B/W natural makeup, strong shadows.
Thats why its good to contact the booker and ask.

After you get that shot you can shoot what you like.

You can also sign up on modelwire.com which will connect you to several agencies.
That way they will send you packages of the new models available to test.

Dec 31 07 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Chichicastenango

Jan 02 08 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

EAD Productions

New York, New York, US

PhotoStudio 45 wrote:

False. They will let you test ALMOST anyone for the model's day rate, but I don't think that was the OP's question.

Jan 02 08 01:07 pm Link